Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Bad Game To End A Bad Year good riddance to Football Championship 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

While yesterday's performance certainly wasn't either teams' A game, it certainly wasn't the appalling mess it's being made to be.

I wish people would take into account how bad the weather was before they start complaining.

Bad weather can account for a slippery ball, handling errors and the like, but it can't account for a succession of poor wides or very very poor shot selection and decision making, which I think was what marked it out as not a great game. Both sides kicked the ball away time and time again. The quality of kick passing and shooting was awful at times and had nothing to do with the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,462 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Bad weather can account for a slippery ball, handling errors and the like, but it can't account for a succession of poor wides or very very poor shot selection and decision making, which I think was what marked it out as not a great game. Both sides kicked the ball away time and time again. The quality of kick passing and shooting was awful at times and had nothing to do with the weather.

I think the weather must have played a big part in the horrendous wides.
    Just basing that on the calibre of players who completely miscued/ sliced shots all day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

A lot of players could barely keep their balance out there yesterday.That can't help when you're shooting for a point.

The kick passing wasn't really that poor either .Most forwards want the ball kicked to them so that it bounces in front of them. It's always a better pass than one that goes straight to the chest and is what the players would do in most games however yesterday any time the ball hit the ground it flew away and make kick passing very difficult as well.

Yesterdays match was a perfect game too play long ball football but for some unknown reason Donaghy was left on the sideline for far too long frankly seeing the conditions he probably should have started.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

As a Corkman I be only delighted to win a AI playing like Dublin did yesterday.

Dublin are Best team in country. They did what they had to do yesterday. Should have win by more.

A lot of players could barely keep their balance out there yesterday.That can't help when you're shooting for a point.

The kick passing wasn't really that poor either .Most forwards want the ball kicked to them so that it bounces in front of them. It's always a better pass than one that goes straight to the chest and is what the players would do in most games however yesterday any time the ball hit the ground it flew away and make kick passing very difficult as well.

Yesterdays match was a perfect game too play long ball football but for some unknown reason Donaghy was left on the sideline for far too long frankly seeing the conditions he probably should have started.

Your dead right , hindsight is 20/20 and all but as you say , every time the ball hit the ground it slid rather than bounce , and by the time donaghy was on dublin could afford to treble mark him

• Advertisement

I usually use this as a reference point for when people give out about wet weather. When Kerry played Galway in 2008 it was in worse conditions than yesterday and yet it was one of the best exhibitions of shoot on sight scoring in the history of Croke Park. Both teams did great in terrible conditions and scored some wonderful points from all angles.

So if those Galway and Kerry teams could play and shoot brilliantly in wet weather why didn't the same happen yesterday? There are other incidences of really good games in poor conditions, I'm sure people can recall such games. Stop using wet weather as an excuse for poor foot passing, inaccurate shooting, turn overs, and poor decision making as well as players fouling the ball and being caught in possession.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,172 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

So if those Galway and Kerry teams could play and shoot brilliantly in wet weather why didn't the same happen yesterday?

Because it wasn't played at walking pace?

I usually use this as a reference point for when people give out about wet weather. When Kerry played Galway in 2008 it was in worse conditions than yesterday and yet it was one of the best exhibitions of shoot on sight scoring in the history of Croke Park. Both teams did great in terrible conditions and scored some wonderful points from all angles.

So if those Galway and Kerry teams could play and shoot brilliantly in wet weather why didn't the same happen yesterday? There are other incidences of really good games in poor conditions, I'm sure people can recall such games. Stop using wet weather as an excuse for poor foot passing, inaccurate shooting, turn overs, and poor decision making as well as players fouling the ball and being caught in possession.

That game was basically played like a challenge match.Kerry piddled around with Galway. As soon as Galway got the goal Kerry moved up a gear and beat them with a degree of comfort.There was very little intensity in that game and therefore it was a nice match to watch but not a serious championship match.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

Because it wasn't played at walking pace?

Tyrone played Dublin in pretty awful conditions in 2008, shot the lights out and their all-round handling and passing were brilliant. Maybe the conditions were particularly bad yesterday? I honestly don't know. The Kerry Tyrone match this year wasn't bad either and the weather was rubbish.

That game was basically played like a challenge match.Kerry piddled around with Galway. As soon as Galway got the goal Kerry moved up a gear and beat them with a degree of comfort.There was very little intensity in that game and therefore it was a nice match to watch but not a serious championship match.

Or maybe it was the fact that both sides had some of the greatest forwards ever to grace the game, you know forwards who could actually put the ball over the bar rather than balloon it wide and blame the wet conditions. There was far more intensity to it than yesterdays game where players had acres of space and still ballooned it wide time after time.

• Advertisement

Or maybe it was the fact that both sides had some of the greatest forwards ever to grace the game, you know forwards who could actually put the ball over the bar rather than balloon it wide and blame the wet conditions. There was far more intensity to it than yesterdays game where players had acres of space and still ballooned it wide time after time.

and Bernard Brogan,Colm Cooper,James O'Donoghue,Paul Flynn,Diarmuid Connolly,Ciaran Kilkenny,Brian Sheehan are not great forwards.

There was no real intensity to that game in 2008.Frankly I wish it never happened as it gets referred to time and again as a great game of football when it clearly wasn't.

Meehan ran riot but barring the goal no other player scored more than one point for Galway. At the same time Kerry were better during the noughties than they are now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

Wish the GAA would get rid of this 'A' and 'B' sh*te in the qualifier draw structure. Some level of unpredictability needs to come back into it to liven it up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Don't think so.

Dublin in reality hammered Kerry yesterday imagine what they would have done to lesser teams.

If skilful players like Bernard Brogan struggled in yesterdays conditions it would have affected weaker teams even more.

It was only wet conditions, it wasn't like they were playing in a hurricane. If Tyrone went out and played that sort of dour football, and had a player gouge one of the opposition player's eyes, there would be uproar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Highlight for me was probably westmeath v meath and Ryan McHugh's goal against Galway.
    If I were to pick one highlight from that game Nidge it would be Murphys point earlier on. As beautiful a full forwards point as you will ever see, it was perfect in every way.

It was only wet conditions, it wasn't like they were playing in a hurricane. If Tyrone went out and played that sort of dour football, and had a player gouge one of the opposition player's eyes, there would be uproar.

Nothing dour about the way Dublin played yesterday they created 4 goal chances during the game 2 of them were sitters that should have been scored.

As I said on numerous times already the conditions must have been pretty bad because even the really skilful players struggled wth them and it was quite obvious alot ofmplayers were having trouble staying on their feet.

Who cares about whether there would have been uproar if Tyrone were paying yesterday.Tyrone weren't playing yesterday so it's completely irrelevant whether there would ahve been an uproar had they been playing.A few members of the media showing incosistency is hardly something you can blame Dublin for or use as a stick to beat them with.I think most people agree McMahon should be getting a big suspension.I haven't heard anyone complain about the way Tyrone play the game just a few unsavoury incoidents they've been involved in this year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Nothing dour about the way Dublin played yesterday they created 4 goal chances during the game 2 of them were sitters that should have been scored.

As I said on numerous times already the conditions must have been pretty bad because even the really skilful players struggled wth them and it was quite obvious alot ofmplayers were having trouble staying on their feet.

Who cares about whether there would have been uproar if Tyrone were paying yesterday.Tyrone weren't playing yesterday so it's completely irrelevant whether there would ahve been an uproar had they been playing.A few members of the media showing incosistency is hardly something you can blame Dublin for or use as a stick to beat them with.I think most people agree McMahon should be getting a big suspension.I haven't heard anyone complain about the way Tyrone play the game just a few unsavoury incoidents they've been involved in this year.

But you can blame Dublin for engaging in a mass brawl against Armagh that they swept under the carpet, for kicking, punching and diving against Mayo, and now gouging against Kerry. They get a free pass from RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

most competitive alright, most of the games are instantly forgetable, if u enjoy poor quality football thats ur perogitive

They really aren't. Tyrone v Donegal this year is a case in point as is the Ulster Final.

If a lot of people had their way we'd return to that hit and hope ****e of the 70s and 80s.
    Thankfully a lot of people don't have their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

People seem to be unable to differentiate between slow handpassing across the field and backwards with fast paced offloads. There's nothing more exciting than players moving forward at pace in their opponents half, offloading the ball with a handpass and taking it back on the sprint to take a scoring chance.

Handpassing is not boring per se. It's slow, aimless handpassing with no attacking impetus that's boring.

It's the same with kick passing. I fail to see how aimless high balls lobbed forward can be classed "true" football. Targeted kick passes low in front of a forward provide huge excitement and pace for the game and are also effective.

Every tactic has it's time and place and the game will always change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Green_Tae

There are problems attached to the game - technical and disciplinary problems in the actual rules of the game and also the very structures of the competitions themselves and change is long overdue.

Consider what the game would be like if everything the Football Development Committee had proposed in the nineties was taken onboard? i) pick-up off the ground - a faster game with less rucks and thow-ins. ii) 13-a-side - more space, more one-on-ones leading to more scores, particularly goals and in this environment the kick-pass becomes even more dangerous iii) free-kicks taken on the run, up to 13 metres from where the foul originally took place - again faster game, players are no longer forced to retake frees because they moved the ball a couple of yards, now we have a stronger disincentive to foul.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

mickey1979 wrote: »
    I just thought this was a dreadful year of football. Well done to Dublin for winning it but even yesterdays final summed up the year. Just dreadful. Your thoughts

You were obviously sitting at home watching on television.

If you had been there and seen the conditions, you would have marvelled at the way the skill levels were maintained at times. I have seen worse conditions in February for games.

It was a thoroughly absorbing contest with Dublin always the better team by far but unable to achieve that dominance on the scoreboard. Not a classic if you wanted open football but a real physical contest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

But you can blame Dublin for engaging in a mass brawl against Armagh that they swept under the carpet, for kicking, punching and diving against Mayo, and now gouging against Kerry. They get a free pass from RTE.

The two worst displays of gamesmanship this year came first from Aidan O'Shea falsely claiming he was headbutted when there was no contact and he clearly pulled McMahon towards him. What a despicable claim to make after a game.

The second was Donaghy. If you look at the incident where he runs up to the referee who is basically laughing at him, there is no sign of any eye damage. I can tell you this much, if you were eye-gouged by Philly McMahon you wouldn't be able to jump up and run mouthing about it to the referee afterwards with your eye looking perfectly fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Godge wrote: »

If you had been there and seen the conditions, you would have marvelled at the way the skill levels were maintained at times. I have seen worse conditions in February for games.

It was a thoroughly absorbing contest with Dublin always the better team by far but unable to achieve that dominance on the scoreboard. Not a classic if you wanted open football but a real physical contest.

It was a terrible game. It had no rythm, little skill, low scoring, no standout performances. It wasn't even a good physical contest as possession was such a lottery.
    Also Dublin were the better team but not "by far". Stats back that up.

The two worst displays of gamesmanship this year came first from Aidan O'Shea falsely claiming he was headbutted when there was no contact and he clearly pulled McMahon towards him. What a despicable claim to make after a game.

The second was Donaghy. If you look at the incident where he runs up to the referee who is basically laughing at him, there is no sign of any eye damage. I can tell you this much, if you were eye-gouged by Philly McMahon you wouldn't be able to jump up and run mouthing about it to the referee afterwards with your eye looking perfectly fine.

Either way McMahon clearly attempted to headbutt O'Shea and the Sunday Game footage made it equally obvious that - at the very least - he attempted to gouge Donaghy as well. So blinkered. This is to add to his record of biting, diving, sledging and all the rest. Think he and Diarmuid Connolly aren't best buds either. The guy's an incredibly dirty footballer - it is and what is and as he says himself, he doesn't give a **** so he's classless as well.

Actually it's quite comical that you're saying Donaghy was engaging in gamesmanship, jesus wept.

Christ as least stand up and admit it - I'm from Tyrone and I've never defended Ricey McMenamin, the guy was a dirty hallion and an embarrassment at times. Most county teams have a player or two like that. Feel free to love McMahon but don't pretend he's a victim in all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭mickey1979

Sitting in lower Cusack in the pouring rain watching a brutal game. The game was poor individual snippets of skill. Game was terrible I am sure it would have better if it had not rained. It rained game was terrible, the year wasn't vintage. I was at 2008 final thought it was brilliant. I was at an u14 match before All Ireland it was great. Big Deal 2015 was poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭doc_17

MfMan wrote: »
    I must be in the absolute minority, but I thought yesterday's match wasn't all bad, and would still take it any day ahead of 2 Ulster teams banging in to one another. For sure, conditions mitigated against proper flowing football, but IMHO there was a fair bit to admire from yesterday; great disciplined defensive play by Dublin, great support play also, excellent honesty of effort by both sides, a fair percentage of well-taken scores etc. I think it was much better than last year's turgid decider.

If two Ulster teams turned up and produced that in an All Ireland you'd never hear the end of it.

overall the whole AI series was very poor, 1 team in leinster, 1 in conn, 1 in mun,and the usual jersey pulling/assault tactics and crap in ulster. Not a decent game in the qualifiers either,no great difference on the previous year

Strange to attach Ulster like that. Is it worse than the Munster Play off? There aren't even two teams in the other provinces at the minute.
    most competitive alright, most of the games are instantly forgetable, if u enjoy poor quality football thats ur perogitive

Most games in all provincials aren't the best.

I think the timing needs to be sorted out. In the last 7 minutes the ball was in play for about 2. Refs need to cop on.

I think we can all agree ( going on above posts ) that the gaa NEED to try something about
    Disipline ( or lack of )
    Time wasting / gameman ship
    I know changes were proposed but it is really , i think , absolutely imperative they try some of them to save the game. Now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Its very unfair to say that was not a serious championship match or not played at championship pace. I was at that match and it was very much played at championship pace.

It has probably been over-hyped in fairness. But to suggest it was not a serious championship match really is very misleading. If you were to discount every championship match where one team pulls away towards the end of a match, then there aren't many serious championship matches out there!

Its very unfair to say that was not a serious championship match or not played at championship pace. I was at that match and it was very much played at championship pace.

It has probably been over-hyped in fairness. But to suggest it was not a serious championship match really is very misleading. If you were to discount every championship match where one team pulls away towards the end of a match, then there aren't many serious championship matches out there!

Kerry were in their comfort zone throughout the whole match I thought and Galway getting the goal just woke them up.

It was an enjoyable game but it wasn't anywhere near as great a match as a lot of people claim it was.That's all I'm saying.

Galway played Cork in 2013 in Croke Park in a similar type of game where it was nice and loose and some lovely football was played and it was enjoyable to watch but Cork woke up near the end and put Galway away.That is never referred to as a great game despite it being a very similar match to the Galway Kerry one in 2008.

• Advertisement

Kerry were in their comfort zone throughout the whole match I thought and Galway getting the goal just woke them up.

It was an enjoyable game but it wasn't anywhere near as great a match as a lot of people claim it was.That's all I'm saying.

Galway played Cork in 2013 in Croke Park in a similar type of game where it was nice and loose and some lovely football was played and it was enjoyable to watch but Cork woke up near the end and put Galway away.That is never referred to as a great game despite it being a very similar match to the Galway Kerry one in 2008.

I was at that kerry/galway game and as much as it was enjoyable , i never felt galway would actually win. Apart from immediately after the Galway goal kerry were comfortable then they put galway away quite easily. Nice game to watch though, no dirty tackles, players with loads of tome on the ball, good scores etc. Dont remember much more.
    Saying that i remember some exits were closed because of flooding
    Torrential downpours :(

Advertisement