Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Bad Game To End A Bad Year good riddance to Football Championship 2015

Options
  • 21-09-2015 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

I just thought this was a dreadful year of football. Well done to Dublin for winning it but even yesterdays final summed up the year. Just dreadful. Your thoughts

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I thought the westmeath Meath game was one of the most exciting comebacks I've seen in years. Fantastic celebrations too.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

The hurling championship was dull too bar the Tipperary Galway game. Poor Summer Gaa wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

Have to agree, football has generally being deteriorating for many years now, and on several fronts. This year is the worst that I can remember though. I used to really enjoy both playing and watching the sport, but the way things are going I genuinely find it hard to get excited about it in any way. Give me hurling any day of the week, and that's coming from someone who would have until recently enjoyed both equally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭wonga77

Yesterdays game was very poor but I really dont think some people are not taking the weather into account, lashed down all day and it ruined any chance of a decent spectacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

skallywag wrote:
    Have to agree, football has generally being deteriorating for many years now, and on several fronts. This year is the worst that I can remember though. I used to really enjoy both playing and watching the sport, but the way things are going I genuinely find it hard to get excited about it in any way. Give me hurling any day of the week, and that's coming from someone who would have until recently enjoyed both equally.

Respectfully disagree with that narrative tbh.
    I think it is exciting seeing teams setting up differently to try beat the opposition on a tactical level. Dublin showed up yesterday with a fast kicking attacking style which worked. Kerry lacked flexibility as demonstrated in the Gooch McMahon match up. Gooch should not be tracking back so far.

Sure it's not as pretty to watch when mistakes are frequent, but it's a sign that players have mere seconds on the ball. Skill levels have never been so high

Not just saying this as a dub, I think Donegal/Monaghan was an exciting tactical battle as have most big match ups over the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭MfMan

I must be in the absolute minority, but I thought yesterday's match wasn't all bad, and would still take it any day ahead of 2 Ulster teams banging in to one another. For sure, conditions mitigated against proper flowing football, but IMHO there was a fair bit to admire from yesterday; great disciplined defensive play by Dublin, great support play also, excellent honesty of effort by both sides, a fair percentage of well-taken scores etc. I think it was much better than last year's turgid decider.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

I didnt think yesterdays game was that bad given the conditions. I saw alot worse during the year. Still, I wouldnt be too optimistic about the football championship for the next few years. Its really up to Mayo to make an impact and give us all something to shout about as I cant see any other county coming through. I firmly believe the hurling championship will strike back next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Very ordinary year I'm afraid.

Meath v Westmeath was probably the best of it, pity it only meant a hammering from Dublin to whoever won it.

Two provincial championships followed their usual template, while Ulster was it's usual dogfight and outside Cork v Kerry it was same old same old in Munster.

I think the quarters have lost something since they started playing them on different weekends, so it might be worth looking at returning to the norm if scheduling allows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

A very disappointing championship. Had high hopes for a few counties who didn't deliver. No real stand out player although it was great to see a newcomer in Fenton and another young lad in Diarmuid O'Connor impose themselves on the championship.

Ulster was rotten. A run of dour, hideous with a nasty undercurrent to alot of them. Ulster though isn't it.

The rest were the same as always. zzzzzz.

Just feels abit stale.

Highlight for me was probably westmeath v meath and Ryan McHugh's goal against Galway. Enjoyed the two Dublin v Mayo games. Thought yesterday was a shocking game of football, now a lot of that is down to the conditions but it was error strewn and just not enjoyable. Dublin were the better team by a country mile.

Dublin are deserving champions and the big test for them now is to put All Ireland's back to back in 2016. It won't be long coming round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Wasn't a vintage year but wasn't all bad either.

Yesterdays match was exciting and it was completely understandable the amount of mistakes being made considering how dreadful the conditions were.Bernard Brogan made bucket loads of mistakes yesterday and if one of the games most skilful players is making that amount of mistakes conditions must have been pretty bad.

People have a ridiculously nostalgic view of football.If you look back through any championship season going back to the mid nineties (as far back as I can remember) there weren't a huge amount of great games in any championship season but it doesn't suit the media's narrative of constant negativity to point this out.

What do people actually expect from the championship.We have a championship which largely consists of matches between mismatched teams which reduces the competitiveness and thus the entertainment value it provides.The championship is basically like the FA cup and goes the same way, fairy dull in the early stages and then you get a few quality matches when there are no longer any mismatches.

There were plenty of enjoyable games this year.

Cork v Kerry (First match)
    Tyrone v Donegal
    Monaghan v Cavan
    Laois v Kildare (First match)
    Westmeath v Meath
    The 3 All ireland semi finals.
    and there were some decent qualifier matches aswell.

The only way to improve the entertainment value of the football and hurling championships (the hurling championship was even worse than the football this year) is to scrap the current system , divisionalise the championship and allow teams of similar abaility to play each other.Until that happens we'll have the same complaints over and over again.

The league provides more entertanment than the championship and is the secodndary competition.The league should really be the primary competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

MfMan wrote: »
    I must be in the absolute minority, but I thought yesterday's match wasn't all bad, and would still take it any day ahead of 2 Ulster teams banging in to one another. For sure, conditions mitigated against proper flowing football, but IMHO there was a fair bit to admire from yesterday; great disciplined defensive play by Dublin, great support play also, excellent honesty of effort by both sides, a fair percentage of well-taken scores etc. I think it was much better than last year's turgid decider.

I thought I was the only one!!!!!

Whilst far from a classic I thought yesterdays game wasn't as bad as some seem to be making out

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Paulzx wrote: »

Whilst far from a classic I thought yesterdays game wasn't as bad as some seem to be making out

Ya I thought it wasn't a bad game allowing for the terrible conditions,
    Thought both championships were forgettable affairs this year, just feels like a lot of counties in both codes are underperforming at the moment and there are about 2-3(1 in hurling) way ahead of the rest...I mean even after Kerry losing yesterday its inevitable they'll be winning one again in the next few years...

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Westmeath and Meath was a brilliant game as was the Mayo Dublin replay. The Kerry Cork draw wasn't bad either. Donegal v Galway was decent enough. Sligo beating Roscommon was entertaining for shock value and not many would have seen Wexford v Down which was a great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

wonga77 wrote: »
    Yesterdays game was very poor but I really dont think some people are not taking the weather into account, lashed down all day and it ruined any chance of a decent spectacle.

True but I have seen plenty of good games in bad weather. Yesterday definitely wasn't one of them. It was very poor even allowing for the rain.

Only thing that made it moderately watchable was that it stayed relatively close but only because Dublin didn't take their chances during the game. They should have been out of sight mid way through the 2nd half.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

While yesterday's performance certainly wasn't either teams' A game, it certainly wasn't the appalling mess it's being made to be.

I wish people would take into account how bad the weather was before they start complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Paulzx wrote: »

You're not the only one. Grand final.

Football overall has never been better. I'd hate to be going back to that hit and hope ****e. Hurling is getting worse.

Meath Westmeath, Roscommon Sligo, Fermanagh Roscommon, Donegal Tyrone, Donegal Monaghan, Tyrone Monaghan, Galway Mayo, Cork Kerry part 1, Mayo Donegal, Donegal Galway, Dublin Fermanagh, Dublin Mayo x 2, Kerry Tyrone, Dublin Kerry... All games I enjoyed this year for various reasons.

Munster Final (1) was the best game quality wise all year. Wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

The thing about yesterdays game is it wasnt the blanket defence snoozefest that previous games/finals have been. Both sides wanted to attack, Dublin moreso than Kerry. Having a corner back getting up in support of the attack illustrates that.

i think it is refreshing to see that skillful scoring forwards paved the way to get both teams to the final. Fingers crossed the boring blanket defence that has riddled the game will not be a thing of the past and attacking scoring football will be in vogue as that is what every supporter/spectator wants to see

Similarly, the Kerry pressure on the Dublin kickouts will hopefully spell the end for the uncontested short kickouts and a high fielding competition at centre field will again be a part of the game

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

slingerz wrote: »
    The thing about yesterdays game is it wasnt the blanket defence snoozefest that previous games/finals have been. Both sides wanted to attack, Dublin moreso than Kerry. Having a corner back getting up in support of the attack illustrates that.

i think it is refreshing to see that skillful scoring forwards paved the way to get both teams to the final. Fingers crossed the boring blanket defence that has riddled the game will not be a thing of the past and attacking scoring football will be in vogue as that is what every supporter/spectator wants to see

Similarly, the Kerry pressure on the Dublin kickouts will hopefully spell the end for the uncontested short kickouts and a high fielding competition at centre field will again be a part of the game

I wouldn't say the example of McMahon attacking is particularly illustrative considering Donegal have a few scoring defenders. I think yesterday's final was as bad as last year's but the conditions probably didn't help. There have been good games in the rain before so I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,291 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Poor game yesterday.. captivating but not hugely enjoyable.

Kerry were abject and while Dublin were superior; they were also cynical

Both finals were disappointing and overall I thought it was a disappointing year for both codes. There are only 2-3 counties in each code capable of competing. The rest are on a hiding to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

The Dubs just regained Sam, 3 times in 5 years now is it? Id call that a great football championship actually. Pretty much dominating Kerry all over the pitch & winning comfortably, Id call it a good game too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

EICVD wrote: »
    The Dubs just regained Sam, 3 times in 5 years now is it? Id call that a great football championship actually. Pretty much dominating Kerry all over the pitch & winning comfortably, Id call it a good game too.

I'm sure a lot of people would think it's a great championship if their own team wins it in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

overall the whole AI series was very poor, 1 team in leinster, 1 in conn, 1 in mun,and the usual jersey pulling/assault tactics and crap in ulster. Not a decent game in the qualifiers either,no great difference on the previous year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

I thought yesterday's game wasn't bad either, especially compared to last years final. Funny thing is Kerry were still sort of in the game until the final whistle, in that they were looking for a goal to level the game. However they never looked like scoring that goal.

The high ball into Donaghy tactic has had its day by the way. Can Kerry with all its skill and tradition not come up with something more inventive? Its football from the dark ages. Its so easy to neutralise it if a defence is half decent. It was desperation stuff yesterday. Mayo had the same tactic with AOS and it was the same outcome.

As for it being a bad year, expect next year and the year after to be just as bad. Its blatently obvious to everyone bar the powers that be in the GAA that the gap between the elite and the rest is stretching exponentially. There are too many mismatched games with predictable outcomes.

We need more of the top teams playing each other and more of the bottom teams playing each other, probably in separate competitions. This is the only way to guarantee more close and exciting contests that aren't over after 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

overall the whole AI series was very poor, 1 team in leinster, 1 in conn, 1 in mun,and the usual jersey pulling/assault tactics and crap in ulster. Not a decent game in the qualifiers either,no great difference on the previous year

Breffni? Cavan man eh?

This fallacy about Ulster football really gets up my goat. Dismissed constantly and easily the best Provincial championship by a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

lawred2 wrote: »
    Poor game yesterday.. captivating but not hugely enjoyable.

Kerry were abject and while Dublin were superior; they were also cynical

Both finals were disappointing and overall I thought it was a disappointing year for both codes. There are only 2-3 counties in each code capable of competing. The rest are on a hiding to nothing.

??????

I didn't think that either team was overly cynical yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

Breffni? Cavan man eh?

This fallacy about Ulster football really gets up my goat. Dismissed constantly and easily the best Provincial championship by a mile.

most competitive alright, most of the games are instantly forgetable, if u enjoy poor quality football thats ur perogitive

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Was really disappointed with yesterday's game, even allowing for the conditions. It was never going to live up to the hype, but I was expecting a higher standard from these two teams, the supposed saviours of Gaelic football. It was dung.

I don't think the gulf between the best and the rest is as big as some of the pundits were suggesting either. Most teams in div 1 and 2 would have fancied their chances yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Was really disappointed with yesterday's game, even allowing for the conditions. It was never going to live up to the hype, but I was expecting a higher standard from these two teams, the supposed saviours of Gaelic football. It was dung.

I don't think the gulf between the best and the rest is as big as some of the pundits were suggesting either. Most teams in div 1 and 2 would have fancied their chances yesterday.

Don't think so.

Dublin in reality hammered Kerry yesterday imagine what they would have done to lesser teams.

If skilful players like Bernard Brogan struggled in yesterdays conditions it would have affected weaker teams even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

most competitive alright, most of the games are instantly forgetable, if u enjoy poor quality football thats ur perogitive

You could say the same about provincial matches in every province.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

At the end of the day, most provincial games, exciting or not, are nothing games. They count for little. Sligo accounted for Roscommon and got demolished by Mayo, rendering their victory pretty meaningless. Many of these games only give the winners a chance to be walloped by the big boys. Fermanagh celebrating in Croke Park pretty much sums up the modern championship. No hope of beating one of the top counties, so might as well enjoy being beaten by them.

Advertisement