Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

yop wrote: »
    There was a lot of it before we equalized!!!

A friend of mine from Dublin who i hadnt heard from for a few months started sending me kisses by text when the Dubs went 7 up. I havent heard from him since.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Peist2007 wrote: »
    A friend of mine from Dublin who i hadnt heard from for a few months started sending me kisses by text when the Dubs went 7 up. I havent heard from him since.

Ah its banter, its great, its what its about and it makes GAA great that we can mingle 82000 people inside and outside a stadium and have a minuscule amount of hassle. Long may it last. I just hope Saturday that people aren't clouded by the feeling of injustice. Social media is full of it at the minute, but I would say most of those won't be there Sunday and will soon be sorted by the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Connelly was never going to get off once they decided to ignore Philly McMahon's dive (when AOS clapped his hands over his head) and his use of the head against AOS.

Yes O Shea may have been pulling him but he still lead with the head.

Connelly clearly punched, it was much easier to just reject his appeals and be seen to up hold the law to some degree than to allow two guys to go unpunished.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

Ah its banter, its great, its what its about and it makes GAA great that we can mingle 82000 people inside and outside a stadium and have a minuscule amount of hassle. Long may it last. I just hope Saturday that people aren't clouded by the feeling of injustice. Social media is full of it at the minute, but I would say most of those won't be there Sunday and will soon be sorted by the minority.

That's funny, my dad was saying the same thing before the last game. We were having in pints in Ryan's, and he looks around seeing all the mayo and dublin jerseys and everyone chatting away to each other. Then he turns to me and says, "mad how these people will be fit to murder each other in 2 hours, and afterwards they'll come out here and it'll be the same as this"

I'm not sure if it's one of those overused "only in Ireland" things, but it's a nice thought. I've always found pre-game atmosphere very friendly and fun, the only time I've encountered a bad winner was in a pub in Dublin after the 2013 final. Social media is horrific for people's opinions, it really is a keyboard warrior mindset.

Reminds me of a tweet I saw a few weeks back:

*guy bumps my shoulder*
    "You're lucky this isn't the internet mate"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Connelly was never going to get off once they decided to ignore Philly McMahon's dive (when AOS clapped his hands over his head) and his use of the head against AOS.

Yes O Shea may have been pulling him but he still lead with the head.

Connelly clearly punched, it was much easier to just reject his appeals and be seen to up hold the law to some degree than to allow two guys to go unpunished.

But so did Keane, and that is why there was a chance he would get off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

wasnt a punch though, more a slight slap, not defending him mind.

That's funny, my dad was saying the same thing before the last game. We were having in pints in Ryan's, and he looks around seeing all the mayo and dublin jerseys and everyone chatting away to each other. Then he turns to me and says, "mad how these people will be fit to murder each other in 2 hours, and afterwards they'll come out here and it'll be the same as this"

I'm not sure if it's one of those overused "only in Ireland" things, but it's a nice thought. I've always found pre-game atmosphere very friendly and fun, the only time I've encountered a bad winner was in a pub in Dublin after the 2013 final. Social media is horrific for people's opinions, it really is a keyboard warrior mindset.

Reminds me of a tweet I saw a few weeks back:

*guy bumps my shoulder*
    "You're lucky this isn't the internet mate"

My dad always said that the best game of all to go to was Mayo v Dublin because of the crack that could be had pre and post -game with the Dublin fans. Have always found that to be the case myself.

Yeah all in the name of banter. Half of my Dublin friends dont believe me when i tell them i want them to go on and win it if they beat us. Probably has something to do with all of the abuse i give them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

The 2 incidents while simular in the letter of the law are completely different in spirit. What keane did was raise his hand and tap Murphy with his fingers it was wrong and he deserved red which should have stood but Connolloy had intent to do real harm, there was malice and menace in what he did that was absent in the Keane incident. The rules classes all strikes the same but there is obvious difference between a slap and a punch. I believe all the cards and suspensions should have been upheld but the law makers keep planting these land mines for themselves to step on.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I've had a quick scan through it and dealt with a few posts. Lads, can you just focus on your own team rather than Dublin, and Connolly. It is going around in circles. If people keep going on about it, I will just ban until the end of championship

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Assuming Connolly isn't going to have his ban rescinded (safe assumption at this point I would say) who should Keegan pick up? Leave him on McManamon or put him on Flynn? McManamon is a threat in front of goals alright, but if we could somehow free up Keegan to drive forward at times it would be beneficial. Our forwards were poor the last day and without Keegan and Vaughan to drive up the field and kick scores we were almost found out. Once again in a big game against Dublin the forwards didn't do it.

I know a lot of commentators are saying we should go hell for leather for the get-go like we did from 60 minutes onwards the last day but I thought we performed very well in our own half throughout the game. I would like to see us keeping in touch with Dublin and launching our attack at an earlier stage. The team is unbalanced at the moment. Defensively we are holding up but our kick passing and shooting is poor. Hopefully SOS will recover form and we don't leave AOS as isolated as the last day. It will make a big difference. I can't see Drake starting the next day.

Should we find ourselves in desperate need of scores we should really be sending on the likes of Alan Dillon on instead of younger guys, proven scorers in Croker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Kalyke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Assuming Connolly isn't going to have his ban rescinded (safe assumption at this point I would say) who should Keegan pick up? Leave him on McManamon or put him on Flynn? McManamon is a threat in front of goals alright, but if we could somehow free up Keegan to drive forward at times it would be beneficial. Our forwards were poor the last day and without Keegan and Vaughan to drive up the field and kick scores we were almost found out. Once again in a big game against Dublin the forwards didn't do it.

I know a lot of commentators are saying we should go hell for leather for the get-go like we did from 60 minutes onwards the last day but I thought we performed very well in our own half throughout the game. I would like to see us keeping in touch with Dublin and launching our attack at an earlier stage. The team is unbalanced at the moment. Defensively we are holding up but our kick passing and shooting is poor. Hopefully SOS will recover form and we don't leave AOS as isolated as the last day. It will make a big difference. I can't see Drake starting the next day.

Should we find ourselves in desperate need of scores we should really be sending on the likes of Alan Dillon on instead of younger guys, proven scorers in Croker.

We really need to start with 6 forwards. I was thinking maybe Dillon and replace him with Andy later. What abobt Ronaldson? Don't know what sort of form he's in these days? Would Barry Moran up front with AOS be a viable option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Dilton has been a great servant and a good player for a lot of years but surely the intensity of this game is too much for him now ? Some of the hits in the game last weekend we're like a car crash I don't think he would get any purchase in a game like the. I would love to be wrong.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Kalyke wrote: »

Whats funny is the girl who sent the video to the DRA!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The narrative for this game is very similar to that of last years replay.

If Mayo play their natural, fast paced, high tempo, high pressing game, and not worry about double sweepers, extra defenders etc then they should win.

That's what they did in Limerick and were not far off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Dilton has been a great servant and a good player for a lot of years but surely the intensity of this game is too much for him now ? Some of the hits in the game last weekend we're like a car crash I don't think he would get any purchase in a game like the. I would love to be wrong.

Difficult to know as we haven't seen very much of him this year. But I would think he would be able to handle himself. Last 10 minutes of the game when players on both sides are tiring, he would be good for a point or two.

Difficult to know as we haven't seen very much of him this year. But I would think he would be able to handle himself. Last 10 minutes of the game when players on both sides are tiring, he would be good for a point or two.

Agree, Mickey Sweeney came on and missed a shot, but I must have passed out as I didn't see this, read it in the Mayo News!
    So Dillon may have been calmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

Agree, Mickey Sweeney came on and missed a shot, but I must have passed out as I didn't see this, read it in the Mayo News!

In fairness to Sweeney, that was a serious block by McCaffrey. Don't think a lot was made of it at the time, but more than likely it stopped mayo from winning.

Maybe an experienced head might have popped it over. If it came down to Ronaldson, Sweeney, Moran, or Dillon starting, I'd take the younger lads and bring on the likes of Moran for the last 20, and Dillon for the last 5/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brusna

Sweeney took a shot but it was blocked down by Jack McCaffrey. It was a great block as Mickey was definitely going for the point. Don't think Dillon or anyone else would have done anything different.

That said I would prefer to see a more experienced player coming on late in a tight game like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

100% agree on Dillon, a proven guy who I have no doubt would have kicked that Sweeney point or at least not had a rush of blood to the head. How I haven't put my foot through the TV watching that, I don't know... it ended up a good block but he shouldn't have even given him a chance.

I don't see us changing much tomorrow. Drake was effective. Watching back on the replay, I think we had a better first half than second even if that sounds mad. Aidan should/could have been given that penalty, if the ball into himself and Cillian was a little better, we could have been going in ahead.
    Bar Kilkenny possibly getting in for goal, we had it under control at the back.

I think they'll keep to much the same plan but add that little bit more pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,341 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Brusna wrote: »
    Sweeney took a shot but it was blocked down by Jack McCaffrey. It was a great block as Mickey was definitely going for the point. Don't think Dillon or anyone else would have done anything different.

That said I would prefer to see a more experienced player coming on late in a tight game like that.

The difference between Sweeney and Dillon in that position, is that there's a good chance we'd have seen a slick dummy from Dillon as the block was coming in. That's the benefit of experience.

Cluxton could have come out and blocked it it was that telegraphed.
    A cool head would have dropped the shoulder as mentioned above or would have made their way away from goal to get that extra bit of space.

It was a case of a rabbit running into the headlights.

Was it blocked, wow, I honestly don't remember Sweeney coming on or even that shot!! Until I read it in the Mayo News it was news to me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,959 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Was it blocked, wow, I honestly don't remember Sweeney coming on or even that shot!! Until I read it in the Mayo News it was news to me!!

Ive watched it a couple times since and think it would have gone wide anyway.

martyos121 wrote: »
    The difference between Sweeney and Dillon in that position, is that there's a good chance we'd have seen a slick dummy from Dillon as the block was coming in. That's the benefit of experience.
    PARlance wrote: »
    Cluxton could have come out and blocked it it was that telegraphed.
    A cool head would have dropped the shoulder as mentioned above or would have made their way away from goal to get that extra bit of space.

It was a case of a rabbit running into the headlights.

I had another look at it and I'm not convinced, I think the shot was on from that position but I can see your point. Dessie Dolan did say he should have shown more composure.

I don't agree with the rabbit into headlights thing. He knew exactly what he was doing, just didn't get it done.

I had another look at it and I'm not convinced, I think the shot was on from that position but I can see your point. Dessie Dolan did say he should have shown more composure.

I don't agree with the rabbit into headlights thing. He knew exactly what he was doing, just didn't get it done.

The shot was on but a better shot could have been on.

He saw the opportunity and panicked a bit, ran towards the goal when he was already close enough and could have ran away from it to open up the angle and afford him more time.

Was happy with my analogy :):(

Don't mean to sound harsh but with Dillon on the bench, I would have so much more faith in him.

PARlance wrote: »
    The shot was on but a better shot could have been on.

He saw the opportunity and panicked a bit, ran towards the goal when he was already close enough and could have ran away from it to open up the angle and afford him more time.

Was happy with my analogy :):(

Don't mean to sound harsh but with Dillon on the bench, I would have so much more faith in him.

I wouldn't put Sweeney in ahead of Dillon either. I don't see the point in having Dillon in the subs if you don't bring him on in a situation like that when are you going to bring him on.

He knew what he was doing. Problem was by the time he had realised he was in a scoring position, then had to have another look to steady himself, it was too late. McCaffrey should never have gotten a block in and it was a huge chance. Just fell to the wrong guy, just on and probably not near the pace of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

seems to be tickets available again in tickets.ie

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement