Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorhome Without a Spare - options?

Options
  • 18-03-2014 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

We went out for the weekend and woke up with a flat on Sunday morning.

Our particular van doesn't have a spare and although we were sorted out with breakdown assistance through the insurance, it really doesn't sit right with me not having a spare.

Has anybody in a similar position retro fitted a spare wheel to their motorhome?

We're tight for space underneath with the waste water tank - I was thinking there might be some sort of contraption that could mount to a tow bar?

Anyway, I'd like to hear from anyone that has had some work done to fit a spare.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Could you buy a 12 volt compressor, the kind you plug into the cigarette lighter? That and one of those kits that you can get to plug punctures would take up minimal space, and hopefully get you going. No good if you nip the sidewall, however.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-VAN-TYRE-TIRE-PUNCTURE-REPAIR-KIT-WITH-10-STRIPS-NEW-High-Quality-/370725740376?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyre_Trims_Trims_ET&hash=item5650f9df58

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

I use this gear on my bicycle and never had a puncture. It supposedly seals the tyre if you get a puncture http://www.slime.com/shop/category/products/sealants/

This got me out of a hole before in a transit van. If I remember correctly we need almost 2 tins to get the tyre fully inflated but once up it stayed up till the next day and that was from completely flat. http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_560095_langId_-1_categoryId_165664

They're a couple of handy extra levels of protection but as the other poster said if you get a damaged sidewall or blow out you're gonna need a spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have seen towhitch mounted spare wheel carriers, to my mind this is a good solution, a wheel and tyre for a camper is a heavy object and attaching it to the body or doors is asking for trouble.
    Towhitches are designed to carry a decent load and should easily carry a wheel.
    Just be sure to secure it well both for safety and to stop nefarious individuals making off with an expensive and necessary part!

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

I've come across this, might order one when I get paid at the end of the month

http://www.bak-rak.com/spare-wheel-rak.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I have seen towhitch mounted spare wheel carriers, to my mind this is a good solution, a wheel and tyre for a camper is a heavy object and attaching it to the body or doors is asking for trouble.
    Towhitches are designed to carry a decent load and should easily carry a wheel.
    Just be sure to secure it well both for safety and to stop nefarious individuals making off with an expensive and necessary part!

and don't forget that tow-balls are designed to be easy to remove, so not only will you have to chain the wheel to the carrier but also chain the carrier to the vehicle somehow.

• Advertisement

Dropable restraint for your undercarriage. Roof rack ratcheted or reinforced rear door bolted through if you've rugged hinges. Under the bed .
    I wouldn't buy a car with a space saver. Not a fan of tyre-in-a-tin either.

...of course a spare wheel's no use without a jack, jack stand and a spanner. whistling.gif

Protect it from the sun. Paramount, direct sunlight rots sidewalls.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

corktina wrote: »
    and don't forget that tow-balls are designed to be easy to remove, so not only will you have to chain the wheel to the carrier but also chain the carrier to the vehicle somehow.
    A spot of weld will solve that problem.
    If thieves are going to grinding to steal a wheel then nothing is safe.

Advertisement