Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

corrosion prevention

Options
  • 27-03-2013 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

As the winter months are going by (and not quite yet over) i'm noticing alot of salt deposits on the car from the roads.

Salt, as i'm sure you're all aware promotes oxidation (rust).

So i'm wondering do any of you carry out any preventitave maintenance to deal with rust? I'm not talking about paintwork but rather the underside of your car, suspension struts, steering rods, track control arms, random bolts, etc...

One of my mates uses and swears by an aviation product called ACF-50 for his motorbike. I've read elsewhere that some people just put some vaseline on some bolts. I't also used to be the case that people used to coat the underside of their car with a type of corrosion inhibitor.

So, do you guys grease your rods? :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

As the winter months are going by (and not quite yet over) i'm noticing alot of salt deposits on the car from the roads.

Salt, as i'm sure you're all aware promotes oxidation (rust).

So i'm wondering do any of you carry out any preventitave maintenance to deal with rust? I'm not talking about paintwork but rather the underside of your car, suspension struts, steering rods, track control arms, random bolts, etc...

One of my mates uses and swears by an aviation product called ACF-50 for his motorbike. I've read elsewhere that some people just put some vaseline on some bolts. I't also used to be the case that people used to coat the underside of their car with a type of corrosion inhibitor.

So, do you guys grease your rods? :pac:
    I normally just hose the bottom of the car and arches thoroughly with fresh water making sure to get into all the nooks and crannies. The fresh water will dissolve the salt and wash it away. For the bodywork I also hose it down and I also wash it frequently as well. Hosing the bodywork and underside/arches after driving on salted roads is essential IMO to prevent corrosion setting in as salt pretty much starts working it's magic straight away.

If you want a corrosion preventative applied to the underside of your car I would recommend this stuff. 191916?$PDP_MAIN$Now is not a good time however to apply this stuff. You will need to wait until the temperature picks up and salt isn't spread on the roads. The underside doesn't have to be spotless to apply this stuff but I wouldn't fancy putting it over any salt picked up from the road etc. For the arches this stuff is too thin however and is only suitable for the chassis undercarriage in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭gambithh

iv used this stuff found it great,ment to be better than waxoil

http://www.cleancar.ie/dinitrol-diy-rust-proofing-kit-small-car.html

has the full kit,a rust inhibitor spray,under body wax and also inner panel wax (like honey) very important as rust starts from the inside and works its way out.

it gives a lovely textured even finish without hiding anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

gambithh wrote: »
    iv used this stuff found it great,ment to be better than waxoil

http://www.cleancar.ie/dinitrol-diy-rust-proofing-kit-small-car.html

has the full kit,a rust inhibitor spray,under body wax and also inner panel wax (like honey) very important as rust starts from the inside and works its way out.

it gives a lovely textured even finish without hiding anything.
    Rust doesn't always start from the inside out ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

I think i'm gonna pick up a bottle of that waxoil from halfords over the weekend. It's only like £6. Gonna give the car a thorough cleaning outside, inside, and underside.

I plan on going around each wheel well (removing each wheel in turn), giving everything a good hosing down, allow to dry, wipe with some white spirits to get rid of any remaining dampness, then applying a thin layer of waxoil with a cloth to all metallic surfaces (minus the brakes).

It'll just give me something to do when I go over the underside of the car and the wheel wells with a fine tooth comb to check that everything is okay.

sorry, it's this stuff that was like £6

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_179607_langId_-1_categoryId_165594

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Over the years I've found waxoyl to be variable myself. Way better than nothing of course, but I'd go for the Bilt Hamber stuff. I found it prevented rust for longer.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Good write up on Bilt Hamber Dynax S50
    http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=53133

Advertisement