Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Owning a Motorhome

Options
  • 23-08-2009 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Always liked the idea of owning a motorhome. May buy one in the future.
    Would like to hear from current motorhome owners. Are you glad you purchased one? Did you buy new or used? Is there much maintenance involved? Can you recommend a good dealer in Ireland? Sorry about all the questions. Basically i'm just looking for advice from current motorhome owners of the pros and cons involved. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

No regrets.. Just go do it...

I bought a used 1998 Hymer C644 for 17.5k while maybe not a bargain is certainly value compared to what some are looking for.

Not a lot of maintenance really required

Do plenty of shopping around and there is value for money here at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

One thing you mustn't do though is is do a cool and calculated cost-effectiveness study of a motorhome.:D

They are expensive to buy, expensive to get off this island, campsite costs (if you tend to stay on them) do mount up with time and you have to maintain and keep another vehicle.

If you're buying a motorhome just to get cheaper holidays ...forget it.

But if you really like this whole camping and roaming around thing ...then there's nothing better than a motorhome.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭KoNiT

what they said +

we got into it as we were into camping, then caravaning & moved onto camper as my wife was fed up of looking at caravan through kitchen window & not being able to drive it, she handles the camper with ease.

we've young kids you see & we use it for days out as much as weekend breaks, go hill walking or to the beach & you've got a warm place too come home to including hot shower for sand (again kids!), switch on a dvd & get dinner ready & off to the beach again etc. Park at friends house for parties.. becomes storage area @ xmas, extra fridge in the house is handy sometimes too..

cheap holiday.. not considering initial cost of camper, life is cheaper than hotel + it's your bed your sleeping in, not 600+ other people...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Kev80 wrote: »
    Always liked the idea of owning a motorhome. May buy one in the future.
    Would like to hear from current motorhome owners.
    1.Are you glad you purchased one?
    2.Is there much maintenance involved?
    3. Can you recommend a good dealer in Ireland?
    4.Sorry about all the questions. Basically i'm just looking for advice from current motorhome owners of the pros and cons involved. Thanks in advance.

I split your post up there so as to answer it easier .

Re no.1 .. I've met , worked for , helped and had chats with literally hundreds of motorhome owners , and have never met one who regretted buying one . Even when it was giving problems , or they had to sell it due to financial problems.

Re no.2 .. Yes and No . If you buy one that has been well minded , and has had the fridge , electricAL and heating systems properly maintained , and it is free of water leaks , then the maintenence is minimal . Mostly it's about keeping them clean , and using them regularly . I would recommend you get it serviced once a year , regardless of mileage , and most will be now with the introduction of the annual DOE test .

Re no.3 .. I'm biased , naturally , but click on my signature :o . At the very least speak to a few Camper dealers , and spend an afternoon looking at various layouts to see what you think you'll like .

Hope that helps .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭FrCrilly

peasant wrote: »
    They are expensive to buy, expensive to get off this island

I am yet to buy and I have been researching a way to tackle the expensive "to get on and off the island" problem. I envisage buying a motorhome with a partner, one person takes it onto the continent, we swap it at an airport and then the second person takes it back, using a cost efficient mixture of LD lines and Ryanair. For OPs benefit, here are my 2 research threads. Good luck with your decision.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59472398#post59472398

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=60260679#post60260679

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Kev80

Thanks to everyone for the replies. It has been really helpful.

Didn't realise how costly it was to get them in and out of this country :mad:

Guess I need to do alot of thinking about the cost benefit analysis before deciding.

Happy and safe traveling to everyone.

Advertisement