Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do outside of Tokyo Japan

Options
  • 01-07-2014 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

Myself and a friend are heading to Japan in October, and we have decided to stay there for 2 and half weeks. We decided to spend the first week exploring Tokyo but after that we are kind of stuck on where to go.

We definitely want to visit Kyoto for a day or 2 but outside of that we are not sure, we are going to purchase one of these week rail passes and with that head very far south, but what is worth seeing if we do head south?

I suppose another question would be should we spend more time in Kyoto or is 1 or 2 days enough?

any advice would be great
    cheers in advance :cool:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Beefy187

Hi there.
    I'm sure you're doing a search on the internet but here is what I would do.

The big thing in Kyoto area would be the Fushimi Inari shrine, Kinkaku temple, Ginkaku temple and Kiyomizu temple.
    Also don't forget to drink by the Kamogawa (kamo river) because it has a beautiful atmosphere at night.
    Unless you are into Geisha or tea ceremony etc 2 days should do it if you use the transport wisely.

Now west of Kyoto there is Hiroshima. Its quite far away but it shouldnt be missed.
    Beautiful city by the river. The historical sites and famous Itsukushima Shrine on Miyajima is well worth the visit.
    They have great food as well.

South of Hiroshima there is Shikoku island. Island is full of Buddhist temples and great food. There is also very famous hot spring place in Ehime so that might be something. Udon noodle in Kagawa is very famous too and visitors all over Japan goes to Kagawa just to eat their noodles. Crossing the bridge from the main island to Shikoku is great too. You can see the sea whirl pool and its scenery is very beautiful when the sun is setting.

West of Hiroshima there is Nagasaki. The city was one of the first places to take in the western culture. Very beautiful city. View of the city from the hill during the night is said to be one of the best along with that of Sapporo.

If you went far as Nagasaki then you might as well try Yufuinn. Which is the second most popular Hot springs resort in Japan.
    I have never been there but I always wanted to go there.

Tokyo is nice if you like museums, food and animes. But if you want to see traditional Japanese places then its not the greatest place to spend time in.

Anyway good luck and if you have further questions I'm happy to help

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Bruz82

Day trips to Nikko in the north-west and Mount Fuji in the south west.
    Also would 2nd a trip to Hiroshima, Interesting museam on the bombing and as said before Itsukushima Shrine on Miyajima is well worth the visit closeby.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 rockthecazba

I'm also heading to japan in October- was thinking of three weeks with basing myself in Tokyo for maybe a week and doing day trips from there. Has anyone any experience of if this is too long? It's at the end of a six month trip so cash flow won't be great etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Bruz82

I went for 16 days on my todd 2 years ago and Id say it was probably 3 days too much tbh.....again it depends on the individual but as soon as you see 5-6 temples and shrines then you've seen them all if you get me. Hostels were in and around 25-30 euro in a dorm. Cool place and easy enough to get around with the rail pass. Defo get one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Sheela

Definitely look into getting the JR Rail Pass before you go. You can't get it in Japan and it takes a week to process/send from London.

• Advertisement
Advertisement