Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water pump from van battery

Options
  • 12-03-2014 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    My leisure battery is back in the shop being tested. I did drain the water from the tank and boiler before taking it out, but forgot to do the last pump with taps open to fully empty the system, and I'm a bit worried now that the nights are going close to freezing.
    If I just connect jump leads between my van battery and the 12V terminals, it should be OK to run the pump for the 30 seconds or so that I need it for, shouldn't it?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭bluethunder

I could be wrong on this but I think you're being over cautious. Temps don't seem to be dropping low enough at night time to cause a pipe to burst. Not much chance of it getting colder either so I reckon you could wait til you get the battery back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

• Registered Users Posts: 13 reflexsean

Be grand it's all 12V

reflexsean wrote: »
    Be grand it's all 12V
    :confused: Depends on the amps. A water pump is low current so safe to handle. Not all 12v sources/loads are.

You could run a 2A (25Watt) water pump off a fully charged 70Ah starter battery safely for >15hours.

Advertisement