Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changing thermostat on 1.2 Fiat Bravo.

Options
  • 25-03-2013 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭

I need to change it, as it's stuck open and engine runs below correct temp at all times.

Do I need to drain all coolant by unplugging bottom pipe from radiator, or can I just drain it from pipe on thermostat up to level needed to change this thermostat?

I would like to avoid draining whole coolant, as I know bleeding the system afterwards is awkward job..

Also thermostat I got comes with a seal, but will this be enough, or should I put it on temperature resistant silicone instead?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

I believe thats same engine like in punto. it will have to be bleed a bit, as at least 1 liter coolant will run out. if it has rubber seal, no need use silicon. make sure there is clean surface, where thermostat housing goes, no old silicon or other loose materials. has to clean, i use to use sandpaper... something grade 2000 ish , clean the surface, then clean with carb cleaner, make sure nothing drops in to cooling system, put thermostat, housing, make sure seal is correctly seated, and tight up bolts in even force.... if you have torque wrench, i think there was something 15 Nm, check with book. , if i not mistaken , there is 3 bolts, one underneath, a bit awkward to get it.

dgt would be a master in these engines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Mar4ix wrote: »
    I believe thats same engine like in punto. it will have to be bleed a bit, as at least 1 liter coolant will run out. if it has rubber seal, no need use silicon. make sure there is clean surface, where thermostat housing goes, no old silicon or other loose materials. has to clean, i use to use sandpaper... something grade 2000 ish , clean the surface, then clean with carb cleaner, make sure nothing drops in to cooling system, put thermostat, housing, make sure seal is correctly seated, and tight up bolts in even force.... if you have torque wrench, i think there was something 15 Nm, check with book. , if i not mistaken , there is 3 bolts, one underneath, a bit awkward to get it.

dgt would be a master in these engines.

Well, I do know a bit about them... ;)

Thermostat:

You don't need to drain all the coolant. Drain from the bottom hose, be careful as it tends to drain in a fan shape. 2 bolts hold the housing in position (2x M6 x 20 iirc) use new bolts as the old ones will be kaput or will snap.

The seal provided will do the job once its bolted correctly. I once had to use gasket paper, no gasket seal required, never a drop from it. Make sure all the old gasket is cleaned off, sandpaper will cure that.

If I were you, replace the thermostat hose too. The youngest of these cars are now 12 years old and do perish with age. They do go bang, cooking the head in no time. Approx £30 from Fiat. Jubilee clip is a 35-50mm size

Bleed it thoroughly. 2 bleed screws are on the heater pipes and one on the top of the radiator, across from the rad cap. Start, run, let heat up. Top up as necessary.

Feel free to ask more Q's and we'll do our best to help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Thanks guys for replies.
    I was away for a while so I didn't notice the answers earlier.

I got thermostat off ebay from this auction.

It says Gates thermostat. It was in original Gates packing, but inside I found thermostat with "Motorad" signing. Is that normal?

It came with paper (cardboard) seal, which is sticky from one side (from thermostat side).
    Is this normal setup? Would that seal do, or am I actually better off using silicone instead?

dgt wrote: »
    Well, I do know a bit about them... ;)

You don't need to drain all the coolant. Drain from the bottom hose, be careful as it tends to drain in a fan shape. 2 bolts hold the housing in position (2x M6 x 20 iirc) use new bolts as the old ones will be kaput or will snap.
    Where can I get such bolts?
    If I were you, replace the thermostat hose too. The youngest of these cars are now 12 years old and do perish with age. They do go bang, cooking the head in no time. Approx £30 from Fiat. Jubilee clip is a 35-50mm size
    Hmm. £30 seems bit dear.
    My bravo is indeed 12 years old, but I think I'll leave this hose for next year, when I'll be doing timing belt and water pump. Assuming water pump will last till then, as car has 130k miles and it's on it's 3rd timing belt, but water pump is still factory one. I hope it will though. I will be able to get all necessery parts in Poland for much lower price, when I'm there next winter.

Bleed it thoroughly. 2 bleed screws are on the heater pipes and one on the top of the radiator, across from the rad cap. Start, run, let heat up. Top up as necessary.

I never had to bleed this bravo, but I have bad experience with bleeding my cinquecento 1.1 some 10 years ago, as it was always really awkward to be done.

had to go to local motorshop, and get thermostat. paper seals never worked for me , so id advice send them back, or just put in high shelf, get right one from motorfactors , and do what dgt advised. good thermostat is very important , a specially on fiats, as if it fails in locked position, you may overheat engine, with the rest consequences.

those thermostats shouldnt be too expensive.... 20 ish euro. and it is worth it.

EDIT: ha ha , just looked on that ebay link. you spend around same money, what youd get in local motorfactors.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Mar4ix wrote: »
    had to go to local motorshop, and get thermostat. paper seals never worked for me , so id advice send them back, or just put in high shelf, get right one from motorfactors , and do what dgt advised. good thermostat is very important , a specially on fiats, as if it fails in locked position, you may overheat engine, with the rest consequences.

those thermostats shouldnt be too expensive.... 20 ish euro. and it is worth it.

EDIT: ha ha , just looked on that ebay link. you spend around same money, what youd get in local motorfactors.

Cheapest in my local motorfactors was 32 quid and it was some noname.
    I decided it will be better to get Gates, but now I'm not exactly sure if is actually a real one.

• Advertisement

CiniO wrote: »
    Cheapest in my local motorfactors was 32 quid and it was some noname.
    I decided it will be better to get Gates, but now I'm not exactly sure if is actually a real one.

cant remember name, it use to have green package. they are good one. ... not popular though. recently got for citroen xsara 01 thermostat with housing, cost 29 euro.

Gates does good belts, not sure about thermostats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

It says Gates thermostat. It was in original Gates packing, but inside I found thermostat with "Motorad" signing. Is that normal?

It came with paper (cardboard) seal, which is sticky from one side (from thermostat side).
    Is this normal setup? Would that seal do, or am I actually better off using silicone instead?

It may be a recon thermostat by gates, Motorad are an American thermostat company. Stats for Fiats were never cheap due to the design, I wouldn't worry too much.

As for the paper gasket, this is what I ended up using the last time
    Image1335.jpg

The paper gasket supplied will be fine :)
    Where can I get such bolts?

Any motor factors will have them in stock :)
    Hmm. £30 seems bit dear.
    My bravo is indeed 12 years old, but I think I'll leave this hose for next year, when I'll be doing timing belt and water pump. Assuming water pump will last till then, as car has 130k miles and it's on it's 3rd timing belt, but water pump is still factory one. I hope it will though. I will be able to get all necessery parts in Poland for much lower price, when I'm there next winter.

To prevent such a failure, I'd invest in one asap to prevent a cooked engine
    Image1432.jpg
    Image1433.jpg

Waterpump: use a good sealant when installing or else it will leak. I used black gasket sealer but RTV should be good enough once applied correctly :)
    I never had to bleed this bravo, but I have bad experience with bleeding my cinquecento 1.1 some 10 years ago, as it was always really awkward to be done.

Tis a small car so would be awkward. Plenty of room in the Bravo bay. I'd start with the rad screw then the 2 heater screws :)

Advertisement