Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vokera minute 16e - starting up by itself

Options
  • 13-08-2012 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭

As above my gas boiler seems to have a mind of its own.. Well sort of!

It actually not starting up the burners but making all the sounds of wanting to start even though the clock is turned off.

I reset it this evening and when I restarted the boiler it takes 5 or six attempts to start. Flame is on then off and so on.

Can put my finger on the problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Im afraid your not going to be given any answers here , you really need to get a rgi in to have a look at it .

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

What your talking about here is two very different issues.

The first is usually associated with temperature sensing, the second is more likely a flue or air flow sensing issue,
    pretty much you need a callout from an RGI as you've already been told. It shouldn't be very expensive, boiler stat is
    about 20-30 and the other can be sorted as part of a service unless the flue has corroded or something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jj58

if its wired up with motorised valve and a boiler interlock
    if the contacts are broke in the motorized valve it will start the boiler
    try it manually open the motorized valve and a boiler will switch on,
    if thats what ur on about?

If it was the motorised valve, the boiler would fire!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jane.f

DGOBS wrote: »
    What your talking about here is two very different issues.

The first is usually associated with temperature sensing, the second is more likely a flue or air flow sensing issue,
    pretty much you need a callout from an RGI as you've already been told. It shouldn't be very expensive, boiler stat is
    about 20-30 and the other can be sorted as part of a service unless the flue has corroded or something similar.

Hi guys , this is my first post , hope you can help , im having a very similar problem as the origional poster , my boiler is making a humming noise and is constantly warm , no rads are hot and water is not heating , timeclock is off and still happens , boiler is also a vokera mynute , ive had terrible problems with plumbers ripping me off in the past so id like to know what exactly they should be doing , when you say boiler stat do you mean the temperatre control knob thingy or is it another stat inside the boiler , i dont know too much about boilers / heating systems , just the basics , i just want to know what the rgi/ plumber should be replacing so as not to be ripped off again , as i said i have been ripped off in the past so dont want it to happen again , do you think it would be a good idea to have my dad here with me when the guy arrives with the info you guys give me so they might think he has an idea what he is on about , i dont think they would take me seriously if i talked about stats and stuff , as im a 22 year old girl , at least if my dad was here they might think twice about pulling the wool over my eyes , im sorry about the long dragged out post but cant afford to pay for something and it not be fixed , thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

Ask Tony (DGOBS) to have a look, he might be near you and won't rip you off.

As for having your dad there it should make no difference as a good RGI will not rip you off, but a dodgy one will always find a way to rob you I'm afraid:mad:.

gary71 wrote: »
    Ask Tony (DGOBS) to have a look, he might be near you and won't rip you off.

As for having your dad there it should make no difference as a good RGI will not rip you off, but a dodgy one will always find a way to rob you I'm afraid:mad:.

Thanks gary , i have someone coming to have a look at it on friday , i just wanted to have an idea of what it could be , is it ok for me to turn the heating off at the fuse board as this stopps the boiler from making the noise .
    if the guy coming on friday changes the stat like DGOBS mentioned will it be obvious to see , will it be the whole button replaced .
    Sorry if these quesyions are silly .

jane.f wrote: »
    is it ok for me to turn the heating off at the fuse board as this stopps the boiler from making the noise .
    Yes, in a ideal world you would have a switch beside the boiler to electrically isolate it.
    if the guy coming on friday changes the stat like DGOBS mentioned will it be obvious to see , will it be the whole button replaced
    The thirmister is only a small part on the boiler, hopefully the proof should be in the end result, a good RGI will be happy to talk you through the process as they have nothing to hide;)
    No such thing as a silly question, only silly answers:)

Vokera do a fixed cost repair (€250ish I think), but I have known them to rip of OAP's in the past:mad::mad: but in general their ok

gary71 wrote: »
    is it ok for me to turn the heating off at the fuse board as this stopps the boiler from making the noise .
    Yes, in a ideal world you would have a switch beside the boiler to electrically isolate it.
    if the guy coming on friday changes the stat like DGOBS mentioned will it be obvious to see , will it be the whole button replaced
    The thirmister is only a small part on the boiler, hopefully the proof should be in the end result, a good RGI will be happy to talk you through the process as they have nothing to hide;)
    No such thing as a silly question, only silly answers:)

Vokera do a fixed cost repair (€250ish I think), but I have known them to rip of OAP's in the past:mad::mad: but in general their ok

Thanks gary , so you think its the thirmister which is keeping the boiler heating itself and needs to be replaced and not the stat , do you think i will have to pay much for the guy to replace it , i appreciate your help as i wouldnt have a clue about costs and repairs etc.

Forgive me, a thermister is just a funky term for the stat. I would bow done to Tonys(DGOBS) knowledge on Vokera as he would work on a lot of them.

Thermisters are very inexpensive as Tony mentioned €20-€30 + call out. If you have concerns get in Vokera(as much as it kills me to say that), I have lost out to manufactures who have taken my work, but I would fully understand if a customer wanted to cancel me to get the manufactures in for peace of mind.

• Advertisement

At €250 that would be an expensive repair for a thermistor !
    (assume the humming is a constantly running pump, a thermistor issue causing that, or possibly a PCB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

I would probably be looking at the pcb. Let us know what the outcome is.

Hi guys , so i had someone out today to have a look at my boiler , when i opened the door iwas a bit doubtful of his expierience as he seemed very young, lovely guy though , and seemed very professional, he introduced himself and showed his rgi identification, so he was at my boiler for a little while and had the front of it off and diagnosed the problem as the circuit board , he said that with my make of boiler the poblem is usually the thirmister but that he tested that and it is working , he said that he had a second hand circuit board in his van that he had taken out of a boiler which he replaced for a new boilerh he could fit or he could fit a new one for me , i took the used one as i plan on getting a more efficient boiler in a couple of years , so he charged me 95 euro altogether for the circuit board including labour and said that if i wanted the new board it would be 210 euro , do these prices sound ok , the boiler is working perfect now , one thing he did say is that there is a bit of a noise off it and that some part of it , i cant remember the name of it , might be getting blocked , either way my faith in plumbers/ rgis is restored , there are still some decent honest ones out there
    Thanks for all your help .
    jane.

Advertisement