Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Septic tank smell after heavy rain

• 19-08-2012 10:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,995 ✭✭✭✭

I have an occasional smell around the back of the house, septic tank smell. It has not been around for much of the summer, but I do notice that it more likely to occur after a spell of very heavy rain, can last a few hours then go away as quick as it appeared.

Anyone know what could be causing it? Is the rain a factor, or just a coincidence? I think the tank was emptied approx 2yrs ago (if receipt left by previous owners is to be believed).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazbrady

http://www.hydra-bio.com/grease-traps-septic-tanks/hydra-septo-fresh.html

not sure if this will help but my tank wasnt working correctly similar problems and i found i needed to increase the bacteria in it ,rain water shouldnt be going into the tank from your gutters should be a seperate soak pit but alot of older tanks do have unfortunately..it puts alot more pressure on the system espec the rain we have had of late...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 woodbrookboy

If could be that the rainfall causes high levels of water which rises above the vent pipe. It could also suggest that the percolation area is slow to drain, causing a back up and odour.

http://www.hydra-bio.com/grease-traps-septic-tanks/hydra-re-gen.html

sorry posted wrong product early this is the re gen stuff which claims to even recover failed percolation areas etc i have to say it worked wonders on my system..some people just put in dead road kill etc to boost bacteria but its a crude way of improving the systems performance only thing i have left is to divert rain water to soak pit..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,995 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thanks for the replies.

How would I know if my rainwater is going into the septic tank?

just make sure nobody in the house is using water all showers washing machines dishwasher and taps etc are off go out to septic tank lift the lid,go back to where the gutters down pipe and drains are and pour some water down it you will see it entering the tank,alternatively if its raining and theres no water being used in the house you should see it enter the septic tank...ideally if it does you should at some stage try and re plumb it into a soak pit ,think regs say soak pit has to be 5metres away from house and from septic tank but dont quote me on that .hope this helps

• Advertisement
Advertisement