Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Zone Gas Heating

Options
  • 16-08-2012 6:48pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Im looking for advice here folks and maybe a recommendation if you can,

The house im living in has what seems to me to be two zones, a thermostat in the living room and the one of the bedrooms.

To heat the water via the Gas I have to have the two thermostats turned down to near zero, if not the heating will come on and the water will only be half the heat it would be when there not on.

During the summer this is no issue as I dont have the heating on , but in the winter it means Il have to have the whole system on for a good while longer just to have the hot water I want , I know it takes a little longer to warm the water anyway in the winter.

Last week , I thought I found a solution to my problem and purchased the following : www.climote.ie
    Brilliant little unit for remotely controlling the heating BUT the guy installing told me I only had one zone and could not set it up the way I wanted it.

I have replaced the immersion 3 times now in 4 years and I think the water is just too hard in the area to use it , any how my preference would be to not use it, as someone always forgets to know it off after them :mad:

Here is what I would like to be able to do :

Heat my water using the Gas and not have to use the whole heating system or have the thermostats turned off to do so.

Have my two thermostats communicate with my heating controller so they can be accessed remotely,

There is a third floor in the house which we use as our bedroom and I am just going to get TRV's put onto all the radiators that are outside of the rooms with the thermostats.

What are my best options and what equipment /companies should I be looking at ,

I really appreciate any help , have the money set aside and am ready to move on this rite away ,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

It sounds like you have 2 stats that are wired to motorized valves with no interlock to the boiler or the time clock. You will need to re-wire the system and install a third motorized valve with a cylinder stat. Your will also require an automatic bypass valve for pump over-run, frost protection and also for in case of valve failure.

The climote can be then incorporated as a three zone time clock.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

shane0007 wrote: »
    It sounds like you have 2 stats that are wired to motorized valves with no interlock to the boiler or the time clock. You will need to re-wire the system and install a third motorized valve with a cylinder stat. Your will also require an automatic bypass valve for pump over-run, frost protection and also for in case of valve failure.

The climote can be then incorporated as a three zone time clock.

Cheers Shane ,

When you say the system will need a rewire , will I need to wore back to the control panel from where the two pumps are in the hotpress ?

Its kinda doable , I would have to go out side and follow the satellite cables up into the attic and then around the sides of the room which are the attic storage then into the hotpress !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

You will basically have to create a full heating wiring circuit from start to finish. If you are running wires externally, you must use MYMJ cable.

Advertisement