Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Message to Electronic Frontier Foundation

• 01-02-2003 6:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not very good at starting conversations, I'm only good at responding to them. Apologies if this doesn't fully represent our group, but I'm doin me best like! :)

adam
    Sent: 01 February 2003 17:02
    To: Ren Bucholz, Activist, Electronic Frontier Foundation
    Subject: Irish electronic frontiers...

Hi Ren,

My name is Adam Beecher and I represent a group of people in Ireland concerned about electronic freedom issues in our country. A colleague of mine, Karlin Lillington, was advised by the EFF that you may be able to help us organise ourselves. I would very much appreciate your help and advice in getting ourselves from a "group of people" to a "representative organisation". I'm not sure exactly what you can or can't do for us, so I'll try to give you a simple overview of where we are now and where we want to go.

The compilation of our group was prompted by Karlin Killington, a freelance journalist who is seriously concerned with motions by our Justice Minister to introduce wide-ranging data retention in Ireland. This is just her primary cause for concern, however, as there are other serious issues that lone activists have been trying to highlight for some time, such as: the introduction of identity cards; a European version of the DMCA; and even the worldwide chilling effect a case like Eldred will have. (I'm aware of the irony of a European making that statement.)

In the past, activists have tried to come together to address these issues. An organisation called "Electronic Frontier Ireland" was formed in 1994 to represent the community, but it was probably before it's time - Ireland has been very slow to get it's citizens online - and it effectively disappeared into the ether several years ago. People like myself, Karlin and others have discussed setting up representative and/or community groups before, only for the suggestions to slowly wither and die, because of a lack of interest and lack of support.

Things are changing over here a little now though. One organisation - IrelandOffline <www.irelandoffline> (disclaimer: I was PRO for IrelandOffline for the first half of last year) - has been very successful in making itself the de facto representative organisation for Irish Internet users, with high-level meetings and significant media coverage. Other communities are coming together to build not-for-profit businesses, such as the Wireless ISP I am involved in in the South of Ireland. And people seem to be starting to /care/ about their online freedoms, and they notice when they're being threatened.

So a momentum seems to be building up, and that has led some of us to believe that now the time /is/ right to get ourselves organised, to start bringing pressure to bear, to get the people who are using September 11 as a means to increase their power to /stop/. And that's why we want to get organised, and that's why I'm here. I don't want to speak directly for my colleagues, but I for one would like to tie in with the EFF as much as possible, to learn from your experience and to use your methodologies.

Even if that's not possible, we'll get it done, but obviously we need a first step and I'm taking the easiest one I can see. I hope you'll be able to help us. So, let me ask a simple question to get started: Where do we begin?

Thanks,
    adam

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Ren didn't reply to this. I'm going to shove another request in the front door of the EFF and if I don't hear something back by the end of this week I'm going to go ahead and propose the creation of a council anyway.

adam

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Ren replied and apologised last night, he thought he had replied to me. I'll be having a chat with him over the next few days.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Keep us up to date Adam. I'll be home in March and am very interested in getting involved in this.

Phil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Nice one adam. Keep it up.

Advertisement