Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Harvey Normans 18 months interest free.

• 11-04-2009 4:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

This probably doesn't fall under the 'bargain' category. But this is as good a place to put it as any.

So, for easter weekend only, they're offering 18 months interest free payments on anything over €200.

I'm just wondering, are there any catches? And are there any deals to be had in there, I'm thinking of picking up a flat screen.

I assume these guys are open tomorrow?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I have never known there to be any bargains in Harvey Norman. They are usually very expensive.
    The only catch with interest free deals is that if you miss a payment or can not adhere to the terms you will be crucified with interest. They are 3rd party financial institutions providing it so it does not matter to the shop if you can pay as they get their money from the lender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

This probably doesn't fall under the 'bargain' category. But this is as good a place to put it as any.

So, for easter weekend only, they're offering 18 months interest free payments on anything over €200.

I'm just wondering, are there any catches? And are there any deals to be had in there, I'm thinking of picking up a flat screen.

I assume these guys are open tomorrow?

Yeah,their prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

jackncoke wrote: »
    Yeah,their prices

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭MrAbc

"Harvey Normans 18 months interest free"... sounds likely, it's been 18 months at least anyway. I'd bet on it being another 18 months interest free, bargains-wise :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Its a scam t get u into there 40% plan

Argos do the same

"6 months interest free"

you pay 5 monthly payments of 9 euro [regardles the cost] then the balance in the last month, but if ur late ye pay the balance over 2 years @ 40% interest :O

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

It's interest free but it's hard to get it. My parents were turned down but offered a "deal" at 25% instead. :P

That was a few months ago and they've been advertising it on telly and leaflets non-stop since, so I doubt it's Easter weekend only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

jackncoke wrote: »
    Yeah,their prices

+2

Good luck gettin financin also. Theyll ask u for half of what ur tryin to finance up front. Best stay shtum on how much ur lookin for, just get them to ask what they are willing to pony up takin into account ur financiulz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

consultech wrote: »
    +2

Good luck gettin financin also. Theyll ask u for half of what ur tryin to finance up front. Best stay shtum on how much ur lookin for, just get them to ask what they are willing to pony up takin into account ur financiulz.

Your keyboard has all those other letters for a reason, please use them.

As for the prices. A friend of mine picked up a 47" Full HD tv in there the other week. The asking price was E1000. Told them it was too expensive and got it for 900 so they're not adversed to haggling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

This thread should be in "Rip-Off Ireland" instead.!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Brimmy wrote: »
    Your keyboard has all those other letters for a reason, please use them.

What do you mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

What do you mean?

He wants you to not use text speak when you type. I think anybody who corrects other peoples typing style is a twat.

What do you mean?

There is a distinct lack of the letter "g" where there it should be, that is all he means. That and the other "txt spk"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

the panasonic 50" full hd plasma is ok at 1300 approx.they don't seem great on pcs however.not in castlebar anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

its the same finance as they had before.

difference is 10% up front needs to be paid and thats it. there are no catches . yeah if you dont keep your contract and miss payments then your in trouble..but thats the paper you sign!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

He wants you to not use text speak when you type. I think anybody who corrects other peoples typing style is a twat.

Personal abuse now? How mature.

Sorry for wanting to use the English language as it was intended and making it easier for people who suffer from dyslexia to understand rthr dan tlkin lyk dis.

You're right, I am such a twat.

And so this isn't a complete derail has anyone spotted any nice deals in the shop itself regardless of the interest free loan?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Well, I saw their add which showed an ''LG 32'' Full HD TV'' for about €439, which actually sounds good to me tbh.

Personal abuse now? How mature.

Think you're confusing mature with immature.
    Sorry for wanting to use the English language as it was intended and making it easier for people who suffer from dyslexia to understand rthr dan tlkin lyk dis.

He didn't tlk lyk tat
    You're right, I am such a twat.

Don't remember specifically calling you a twat, but if you think you are one it's fine by me.
    And so this isn't a complete derail has anyone spotted any nice deals in the shop itself regardless of the interest free loan?

Won't find many bargains in that store.
    Well, I saw their add which showed an ''LG 32'' Full HD TV'' for about €439, which actually sounds good to me tbh.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=354818

Better deal there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yeah but that's not full HD and it costs more that what I want to spend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,627 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Harvey Normans is a joke of a electrical retailer

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭mad dave

shouldnt we be thinking of giving our money to a shop instead of a website?
    and that tv at 439 sounds like a proper deal.
    make sure it is a 1080p tv though, nearly too good to be true. if not,
    try http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-12-32LG30
    or http://www.buy4now.ie/DID/Product/32LG3000LG%2032%20LCD%20TV%20HD%20READY/16745/317 ( go into 1 of the did shops to purchase and they post you out 36 euro worth of vouchers.we had to get a new fridge of them the other day. seem good enough to deal with.apologies for no caps and bad grammer in advance

• Advertisement

mad dave wrote: »
    shouldnt we be thinking of giving our money to a shop instead of a website?

The recession is forcing people up the north by the thousands, the exchange rate and especially the cheaper vat and the fact most stuff is just plain cheaper in the north means patriotism be damned. The Queen can have our money if it means saving, so if by buying from a website you can save money then do so.

The only patriotism here should be to buy in DID or power city or Expert (may be more) as they are Irish. Harvey Norman is Australian so some of our money leaves the country.

Personally I would only buy large electronics in a shop as to return by post is a pain and you will usually have to bring them to court to get them to pay for shipping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,627 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Saruman wrote: »
    The recession is forcing people up the north by the thousands, the exchange rate and especially the cheaper vat and the fact most stuff is just plain cheaper in the north means patriotism be damned. The Queen can have our money if it means saving, so if by buying from a website you can save money then do so.

The only patriotism here should be to buy in DID or power city or Expert (may be more) as they are Irish. Harvey Norman is Australian so some of our money leaves the country.

Personally I would only buy large electronics in a shop as to return by post is a pain and you will usually have to bring them to court to get them to pay for shipping.

iv had brilliant experiences with Expert

way better than Harvey Normans any day

Headshot wrote: »
    iv had brilliant experiences with Expert

way better than Harvey Normans any day

Yup, expert do have some good deals and Power city is hard to beat on price (you can also haggle with the sales guys for a discount).

Yeah but that's not full HD and it costs more that what I want to spend.

Fair enough, but the human eye can barely make out the difference between HD and Full HD on a 32' TV. You would only strongly notice the difference when gaming. That's one of the reasons the full HD 32' TV's have dropped in price recently. Most consumers go for a 42' when going for a full HD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

everyone says HN is a rip off, im looking for a black washing machine and they are the cheapest(cant remember exact price off my head) and a black oven(not only cheaper but much nicer than everywhere else), if anyone knows where to get these items anywhere cheap let me know if not HN is getting my money well not before i haggle with them tho ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Double C

Im after getting a 46" plasma Phillips full HD 1080p 100hz tv there which was 1500 a few weeks ago. The price was down to 1000 and I got it for 900 on the financing deal so it works out at a deposit 0f 90 and then 18 payments of 45 a month. Seems like a grand deal to me!

Apologies, my euro symbol isnt working on my keyboard right now :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

Double C wrote: »
    Im after getting a 46" plasma Phillips full HD 1080p 100hz tv there which was 1500 a few weeks ago. The price was down to 1000 and I got it for 900 on the financing deal so it works out at a deposit 0f 90 and then 18 payments of 45 a month. Seems like a grand deal to me!

Apologies, my euro symbol isnt working on my keyboard right now :o

what's your addy:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Fair enough, but the human eye can barely make out the difference between HD and Full HD on a 32' TV. You would only strongly notice the difference when gaming. That's one of the reasons the full HD 32' TV's have dropped in price recently. Most consumers go for a 42' when going for a full HD.

think its 50 inch before the human eye will notice a difference between the 2 of the them

Advertisement