Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unrealistic prices for second hand for Sale items.

Options
  • 28-03-2015 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

I would just like to make a comment about the asking prices on items for sale.

The prices for second-hand goods offered is way too high and bears little relationship to the actual value of used items.

Say an item cost 400 euro new; well 20 percent of that is vat of 80 euro. Surely sellers do not expect buyers to pay for the vat a second time, then of course the items are usually used and not new and should therefore reduce to at least another 50 percent of their original value. So an item costing 400 euro new should be about 160 euro second-hand.

I think sellers should consider what I stated above and be more realistic
    in their valuations and expectations.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭badaj0z

An item for sale is worth what people are prepared to pay for it, no more, no less. Calculations such as yours are not relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭steyrman

Hi markhor if that was to work I will offer you 350 for you spotting scope how are you with that deal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

Can't see this lasting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭lefthooker

There's two sides to sales;
    1) sellers asking outrageous prices hoping the buyer doesn't know the value, or
    2) buyers making derisory offers in the hope you're desperate to sell.
    The outrageous prices come about because the seller over paid for it themselves.

With you're calculation, if you had an item valued at €400 would you sell it for €160??? I doubt it.
    If it was mine and let's assume it's in top condition, and you offered me €160 you'd hear me laugh across the whole country.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MrTom1

Sell for as much as you want , just because you think it's €400 doesn't mean your going to get it. Same as a car you always half the price and start your negotiations from there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Markhor wrote: »
    Say an item cost 400 euro new; well 20 percent of that is vat of 80 euro.
    And you can get it cheaply. But the person selling it won't have cleaned it since he bought it, and the trigger a bit loose.

You're paying for the quality. If you don't like it, buy the cheap one a few searches down, and spend the equivalent of what you saved (or more) getting the gun back to proper working order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Wildcard7

badaj0z wrote: »
    An item for sale is worth what people are prepared to pay for it, no more, no less. Calculations such as yours are not relevant.

...and the seller is willing to let it go for.

This can't be stated often enough though. Thank you.

Having said that i do cringe when i see someone trying to sell something that i know i could get new for only 5% more.

Op: that calculation of yours is ridiculous in so many ways it's beyond explaining. Even the vat bit is off. Were i to buy the item from you for 400€, i wouldn't pay vat *again*, the vat would simply pass on to me. This is the very definition of how vat works.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mil dot

it just shows you should always know the new price of something before you buy it secondhand . Also bear in mind you have no comeback when buying second hand privately. On saying that mostly people on this site have been straight forward and honest. Have got quite afew items second hand from here and been very happy and only been unhappy twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Firstly, to quote from the forum charter in For Sale/Wanted:
    [do] not reply saying "you can get X cheaper here" or "that's way too expensive";
    We don't care. Replies like that end up in flame wars. It is up to the Buyer to find that out. It is a Buyers market after all. If someone is way off the mark with an asking price (and we mean WAY off), post a link to the current available price (like-for-like, VAT, and postage must be commented on).
    In other words, caveat emptor. You're all grownups with a lot of technical knowledge of the things you're buying and selling, after all. There are some things the mods here don't want to even look at, let alone touch with a barge pole. Telling people in public how much their kit is worth second hand is very, very, very firmly in that category, thanks very much.

And secondly,
    Mod Note: Keep it civil please.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Suppose il add my gun to this. I was robbed in the price according to lads on this who I believe and even pay out in Lucan said same yesterday when I went out. He said same gun with scope brand new would be under 500.
    Also ballistic Hornady is 25 off him and place in tallaght wants 36.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭clivej

HAVE you's all not noted how Markhor has not replied

don't feed a troll :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

Suppose il add my gun to this. I was robbed in the price according to lads on this who I believe and even pay out in Lucan said same yesterday when I went out. He said same gun with scope brand new would be under 500.
    Also ballistic Hornady is 25 off him and place in tallaght wants 36.
    11 yoyos a box more. So most will buy a hundred rounds so that's an extra 2 boxes in Lucan for a ten minute drive on the m50.Crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

steyrman wrote: »
    Hi markhor if that was to work I will offer you 350 for you spotting scope how are you with that deal ?

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭allan450

Silly talk.2nd hand top glass you will not lose half on it.it nearly holds 2/3rds of the new retail price.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

11 yoyos a box more. So most will buy a hundred rounds so that's an extra 2 boxes in Lucan for a ten minute drive on the m50.Crazy.

Absolutely mental isn't it.
    He even said he'd give me two boxes for 45 so even then he's doing a deal for me and he hardly knows me.
    Lads in tallaght know me from the old shop and some of them shoot same land I do and yet can hardly get a discount.

Advertisement