Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car Tax in Budget Question

Options
  • 13-10-2008 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭

My car is due to be taxed this month (ie it expires Oct 08), I got my renewal thing in the post, if the budget has a road tax increase in it will it be implemented from midnight tomorrow night.

Seeing as i'm paying about 1300 a year now, should I renew for the year tomorrow before it goes up even more, or will they implement it from the start of November ???

Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

May as well tag along with this

I'm STILL awaiting a log book for my new car, meaning its as yet untaxed. I'll have to tax it back to August when it comes through.

If (hah! when...) my range goes up are they going to attempt to get me for the increase, seeing as I'll want a year from August - when it had the old rates.

(I only had the car for about 2 days in August before anyone thinks Shannon are taking 10 weeks to send out log books - its only 6...)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

my tax is also due. Thanks to the op I'll do it tonight as one thing is for sure - it isn't coming down.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

MYOB wrote: »

I'm STILL awaiting a log book for my new car, meaning its as yet untaxed. I'll have to tax it back to August when it comes through.

If (hah! when...) my range goes up are they going to attempt to get me for the increase, seeing as I'll want a year from August - when it had the old rates.

(I only had the car for about 2 days in August before anyone thinks Shannon are taking 10 weeks to send out log books - its only 6...)

If you are taxing it from a year, say tomrorow, do you not get a year from now? ie till end spt 09 and they charge you for aug and sept this year as arrears? So you pay 14 months now for a disc till end sept 09.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Normally a road tax increase is done from a date in the future, possibly January, it won't be from midnight tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

The motor tax increases at last December's budget were effective from February. I'd expect a similar 2 month lead in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Chances are any increases will not come into effect until 1st January 2009 at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

bazz26 wrote: »
    Chances are any increases will not come into effect until 1st January 2009 at the earliest.

I'd tend to agree seeing as it Budget 2009, but there's a possibiltiy that all measures could be implemented from Nov 1 in the national interest.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Stekelly wrote: »
    If you are taxing it from a year, say tomrorow, do you not get a year from now? ie till end spt 09 and they charge you for aug and sept this year as arrears? So you pay 14 months now for a disc till end sept 09.

Its been a very long time since I did anything other than just use the online renewal so you're very probably right...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

The only things that tend to be implemented as of midnight are the likes of cigarrettes I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

MYOB wrote: »

I changed car 5 weeks ago and rang Shannon on Friday asking where the hell my logbook was because I also need to get it taxed (it's been out of date since May!!!!!) - they posted it out in the middle of September ...... to my previous home. :rolleyes:

My old car was registered to that address but I had changed it with the relevant forms 18 months ago when I left there to move to my current address. The tax disc for the old car even got sent there earlier this year.

So I had to get a form signed in the Garda station and they're sending me out the replacement book.

I also decided feck it I'll also tax the new car so have sent off the form to the local motor tax office. No doubt they'll send it to the wrong address again. I'm just waiting to get pulled over in a checkpoint for out of date tax. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Have every document you can with you in the car. Gardaí can seize the car if tax is more than two months out of date....

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement