Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VRT

Options
  • 12-10-2008 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hey there,

I'm thinking about buying an english registered car. The tax office say it's going to cost 6400 euros to clear it.
    Just wondering if I held of on the VRT until January , would the price come down much?
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

dakaiser wrote: »

Just wondering if I held of on the VRT until January , would the price come down much?
    Cheers.

Remember theres a budget looming too............. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Car-dealer

Hi

the VRT use OMSP that often over state the price of a car in todays market - you need to pay the VRT then ask for an appeal form and try claim back some VRT from them.

What car are you going for and what price - drop me a line if you need any advice on the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Hey there,

I'm thinking about buying an english registered car. The tax office say it's going to cost 6400 euros to clear it.
    Cheers.

Holding off on the VRT until January will reduce it alright, most of the time, provided tomorrow's budget doesn't change anything.
    However, legally you're not supposed to drive the car on the road without VRT. You can risk it if you like provided your insurance covers you, but the risk is customs will see you and can impound the car, you'll be fined 10% of the OMSP to release the car plus VRT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 dakaiser

Thanks for the replies.

I called them up today and got a price for a car 1 year older than the car I'm looking at. It was about 1500 euro cheaper. So it could be worth holding on until January, as long as the budget dosen't change the rates too much.

And where do they get there valuations from? They value the car 6000 more than the fella selling it. bstrds

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I called them up today and got a price for a car 1 year older than the car I'm looking at. It was about 1500 euro cheaper. So it could be worth holding on until January, as long as the budget dosen't change the rates too much.
    The values don't change by a whole year on the 1st January, it's incremental.
    And where do they get there valuations from? They value the car 6000 more than the fella selling it. bstrds
    Their valuations are for the cars VRT paid here, you're buying the car ex-VRT.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 dakaiser

Their valuations are for the cars VRT paid here, you're buying the car ex-VRT.[/quote]

Ok, I'm new to all this but do they not place a different value, on different types of cars and then base the VRT cost on a percentage of this value?

Advertisement