Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New York-style yellow cabs could soon hit the streets in Dublin.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

HivemindXX wrote: »
    Was there not a huge fuss from the taxi drivers about having to have the tariff on a sign in the side window? Something about not wanting to be known to be a taxi driver...cash business...risk of burglary...

Seems like this would lead to similar complaints.

There was a kerfuffle a few years ago when Kathleen Doyle was saying in one breath that taxis can and should offer discounts to customers yet was telling taxi drivers who put up signs on cars to advertise discounts that it was illegal for them to do so and issuing on the spot fines for same!

The other issue about window signs was the now infamous stickers with fare tariff rates and so called consumer information that, after warnings that they would jam electric windows, confuse blind passengers with incorrect braille text and mark out off duty cabs for break in's, let to...... guess what.....

Jammed electric windows, confused blind passengers and an increase in break in's on off duty cabs. The stickers cost the guts of a milliin euro to print and mail out.

Gotta love the auld regulator, it's leading the industry so very well with fabulous innovations :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I kind of like the blue colour they used for the two electric taxis going round dublin.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0609/1224298641822.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I think leopard-print would cut a dashing sight:

0023ae73cfef0df0934c4e.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

1huge1 wrote: »
    The best I've ever seen, the only other city I could saw was on par with Munich is Vienna. (in relation to size of network per population)

But surely they stop at 23:30, sher no-one needs to travel that late at night or before half ten on a Sunday ( 10:30 not 9:30 am) ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Many cabs in Germany are also black Mercs etc. with the beige pvc wrap. This is the way to go alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

murphaph wrote: »
    Many cabs in Germany are also black Mercs etc. with the beige pvc wrap. This is the way to go alright.

Its the way to go alright ,but you are not compareing like with like .The countries/cities that have a uniform colour/type of car as a taxi all get grants/subsidities towards these cars from the relevant councils and government .....
    The TR and irish govenrment have given nothing ,nada,ziltch to irish taxi drivers,only take

oisindoyle wrote: »
    Its the way to go alright ,but you are not compareing like with like .The countries/cities that have a uniform colour/type of car as a taxi all get grants/subsidities towards these cars from the relevant councils and government .....
    The TR and irish govenrment have given nothing ,nada,ziltch to irish taxi drivers,only take
    I'll be honest, I have no idea if taxi companies get such subsidies to apply a vinyl wrap but I find it hard to believe tbh. Can you provide a link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Are all taxis in Germany bought brand new, or are they often second hand?

I'm just curious, because the g'ovt could give a VRT/VAT rebate on taxis to compensate for them being liveried, but I doubt many Irish taxis are bought new.

-Chris- wrote: »

I'm just curious, because the g'ovt could give a VRT/VAT rebate on taxis to compensate for them being liveried, but I doubt many Irish taxis are bought new.
    I'm sure taxis in Germany are often bought second hand too. Would find it hard to believe that every taxi here started its life as one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

murphaph wrote: »
    I'll be honest, I have no idea if taxi companies get such subsidies to apply a vinyl wrap but I find it hard to believe tbh. Can you provide a link?

find what hard to believe ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

oisindoyle wrote: »
    I'm in germany 11 years at this stage and have never heard of such a scheme.

A taxi operator as a self employed person in Germany can offset such business costs against tax, but then again so can Irish operators !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭Terrontress

-Chris- wrote: »

There is already a tax incentive with the taxi rate of motor tax. Perhaps that could be made conditional on the car being the correct colour / age which would mean those who wish to keep an older or differently coloured car can do so but would lose the incentive.

If you were to give rebate on VRT, full rebate anyway, you would tip the balance in favour of taxi ownership rather than private car ownership. A cheap car, use of bus lanes, minimal motor tax. This would encourage more part-timers in to the game which the existing drivers are dead set against.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Whatever colour is picked should be tested at night too.

NYC just had a competition for a new taxi, won by Nissan.
    http://rumors.automobilemag.com/nissan-wins-new-yorks-taxi-tomorrow-competition-nv200-44699.html

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tsoparno

my two pence worth i'd go with green,as in the green on our flag.
    blue prob wouldn't look bad but at least the green would be associated with ireland use it as a touristie kinda thing.
    i think their using green somewhere in south america and they dont look to bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

dowlingm wrote: »
    Whatever colour is picked should be tested at night too.

NYC just had a competition for a new taxi, won by Nissan.
    http://rumors.automobilemag.com/nissan-wins-new-yorks-taxi-tomorrow-competition-nv200-44699.html
    Wow, that's ugly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement