Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New York-style yellow cabs could soon hit the streets in Dublin.

• 12-07-2011 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭

NEW York-style yellow cabs could soon hit the streets in Dublin.
    The National Transport Authority (NTA) has proposed a "distinctive external branding" for the taxi fleet "such as a single colour".
    The suggestion forms part of the NTAs public consultation process on vehicle standards for the taxis, hackneys and limousines.
    If the regulation was to be introduced, the colour would have to be decided on at a later date, with yellow a possibility. The change would apply in Dublin and countrywide.
    Other changes to be considered include a requirement to renew taxi licences every six months for vehicles more than nine years old.
    The NTA also suggests imposing an upper age limit of 14 years for vehicles beyond which the drivers would not be issued with licences.
    In addition, it is proposed to exclude pick-up trucks for use as taxis and ban tinted windows.
    The National Transport Authority (NTA) has proposed a "distinctive external branding" for the taxi fleet "such as a single colour".
    The suggestion forms part of the NTAs public consultation process on vehicle standards for the taxis, hackneys and limousines.
    If the regulation was to be introduced, the colour would have to be decided on at a later date, with yellow a possibility. The change would apply in Dublin and countrywide.
    Other changes to be considered include a requirement to renew taxi licences every six months for vehicles more than nine years old.
    The NTA also suggests imposing an upper age limit of 14 years for vehicles beyond which the drivers would not be issued with licences.
    In addition, it is proposed to exclude pick-up trucks for use as taxis and ban tinted windows.(evening herald)
    ....................................................................................................................
    What do you think ?
    Is having a fleet of taxes the same colour a good idea or bad and whats that about pick up trucks ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

There are taxi drivers with cars which are over 14 year old which are immaculate and on their way to being classics cars, I'd sooner get into one of them instead of a 9 year old skoda which is not well kept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Long overdue and you don't need to go as far as New York for it either, think London's black cabs or check out the beige/cream taxis in Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

Unless they start to charge like NY taxis and other countries in the EU they can **** off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

The first step should be preventing anyone with a criminal record, or who is not a legal worker in the state from ever being a taxi driver. That should be top of the little list there.

I don't like the green-party style anti-classic car stuff in that tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,123 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Sharrow wrote: »
    There are taxi drivers with cars which are over 14 year old which are immaculate and on their way to being classics cars, I'd sooner get into one of them instead of a 9 year old skoda which is not well kept.

Skoda quips are so 1980s.:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Irish taxis are actually cheap so quit complaining!

10km in Ireland is €13.37
    10km in Munich is €22,80

40km in Ireland is €56.47
    40km in Munich €67,70

source
    http://www.dublincabs.com/dublintaxicharges.php
    http://www.taxi-muenchen.com/privatkunden/tarif-und-preise.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Cream coloured Mercedes like Germany would be nice :)

If we still have the Ford factory in Cork, all taxis would probably be Fords to boost sales and keep people in jobs
    But that's long gone

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭corkonion

well taxis are supposed to be nationwide, yet outside cork city, in large towns with populations of between 10,000 and 25,000 people .ie carrigaline, ballincollig, clonakilty, bandon, youghal etc.... there is not one single taxi rank... not one
    they should start with giving them somewhere to park for hire outside of cork city center so that people can use the bloody things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

10km in Munich is €22,80

40km in Munich €67,70

source

Thats Dublin not all of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Moved from After Hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Yeh but arent taxis generally cheaper outside of Dublin? thats what ive always found anyway.

+1 on all taxis being the same colour though, its about time it was done really, as for taxis being over a certain age I couldnt care how old they are as long as the cars in good nick, I know myself when out in town me and my friends will walk along till we see a car we like before getting into a taxi i.e a car id drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Smyth wrote: »
    Unless they start to charge like NY taxis and other countries in the EU they can **** off.
    Morlar wrote: »
    The first step should be preventing anyone with a criminal record, or who is not a legal worker in the state from ever being a taxi driver. That should be top of the little list there.

Irish taxis are expensive.

Irish taxis are diven by criminals and illegals.

That's good going for page one.

Can someone mention that some taxi drivers stalk single women and then we can just close the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Thanks for heads up. Yet another thing for taxi drivers to rant and rave about :mad: LIKE I CARE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

10km in Munich is €22,80

40km in Munich €67,70

source
    I live in Munich too and can definintely back up your points too, crazy prices here, was always so easy to get a god deal in Limerick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Yeh but arent taxis generally cheaper outside of Dublin? thats what ive always found anyway.
    nope.

supposed to all be the same price nationwide.
    http://taxiregulation.nationaltransport.ie/for-users/tax-fare-calculator/how-taxi-fares-are-calculated/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

1huge1 wrote: »
    I live in Munich too and can definintely back up your points too, crazy prices here, was always so easy to get a god deal in Limerick

As a matter of passing interest 1Huge1,what is the mainstream Public Transport service like in Munchen ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

1huge1 wrote: »
    was always so easy to get a god deal in Limerick

No matter where you are if you ask the taxi can he give you a lift for a few bob cheaper you'll generally find one. It's normally €13 from town to my house but I always ask if they'll do it for €10 and they've never refused. In Galway or Limerick you might have to ask a couple but you'll find someone who'll do it cheaper.

Like anything if you shop around you can save a few bob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

All metered taxis are the same price throughout IRELAND,,,,,,if it doesnt have a meter then its a hackney NOT a taxi

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭weehamster

Haven't been there in a while so I don't know whats its like now, but on the island of Kos, Greece, they had Sliver Mercs as their Taxis. I thought that was a nice touch of class. :)

Seachmall wrote: »
    No matter where you are if you ask the taxi can he give you a lift for a few bob cheaper you'll generally find one. It's normally €13 from town to my house but I always ask if they'll do it for €10 and they've never refused. In Galway or Limerick you might have to ask a couple but you'll find someone who'll do it cheaper.

Like anything if you shop around you can save a few bob.

Why? why do you feel it is your right to ask for a cheaper fare.If you went into your local pub and a pint was 4.80 would you ask the barman to give it to you cheaper? I bet you wouldnt and you would be told where to go ,,,same as if u went into your local spar and a pint of milk was 1.50 thats the price you are going to pay ,,,the same if u went to dunnes Stores for clothers ,,,the price on the label is the price you will pay ,,,would u ask them to give it to you cheaper? no i bet you wouldnt ,,,So would take the liberty of asking for a cheaper fare from a taxi driver ,,,He/she has bills to pay the same as everyone else!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,245 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

prinz wrote: »
    Long overdue and you don't need to go as far as New York for it either, think London's black cabs or check out the beige/cream taxis in Germany.

London doesn't have a specified colour for it's cabs this long time now. Some cabs over there have all over ads, similar to buses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭WASP0

mikemac wrote: »
    Cream coloured Mercedes like Germany would be nice :)

Surely Blue would be the most suitable colour for Dublin Taxis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Great idea about the uniform colour, i do hear a lot of drivers complaining about part timers, that would surely cull their numbers dramatically.

Age shouldnt matter too much, condition is king.

oisindoyle wrote: »
    Why? why do you feel it is your right to ask for a cheaper fare.

Kathleen Doyle encouraged it :)
    The meter is the maximum fare
    WASP0 wrote: »
    Surely Blue would be the most suitable colour for Dublin Taxis.

Good point

And we know what the Limerick drivers can do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Mainly all black were I am with the odd silver and yellow one about .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

This sounds like a great idea but what about drivers who can't afford to get an appropriate car? I suppose it could help cut taxi numbers, but I could see taxi rentals rising dramatically because there's no real way to get out of the taxi game unless you can immediately secure another job.

Personally, I like the idea of blue go-faster stripes on all taxis :D

Why? why do you feel it is your right to ask for a cheaper fare.If you went into your local pub and a pint was 4.80 would you ask the barman to give it to you cheaper? I bet you wouldnt and you would be told where to go ,,,same as if u went into your local spar and a pint of milk was 1.50 thats the price you are going to pay ,,,the same if u went to dunnes Stores for clothers ,,,the price on the label is the price you will pay ,,,would u ask them to give it to you cheaper? no i bet you wouldnt ,,,So would take the liberty of asking for a cheaper fare from a taxi driver ,,,He/she has bills to pay the same as everyone else!
    The difference between my local shop and bar is that the server doesn't have that discretion. I ask for discounts when I think I can get them be it buying a suit or electronics or a taxi. I have the right to ask for a discount the same as those I'm asking have the right to refuse or accept. The taxi driver can say no and wait for another fare or may choose to say yes. There is nothing wrong with asking and I too have bills to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

This thread is quite amusing. If it's not a Checker Marathon, it just isn't a NYC-style taxicab. I'm sure someone could produce a knockoff in Europe; the original body design must've passed to some German company now...?
    checker-sm.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

AlekSmart wrote: »
    As a matter of passing interest 1Huge1,what is the mainstream Public Transport service like in Munchen ?

In a word ****in-awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

We could have green taxis with a shamrock emblem on the taxi banner!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

We could have green taxis with a shamrock emblem on the taxi banner!:D

I'm confident that many will remember a former attempt at Taxi-Specific livery...two Yellowish panels above the front and rear window lines on each car....think it was mid 1970's ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

How about day-glo orange ?

Seachmall wrote: »
    The difference between my local shop and bar is that the server doesn't have that discretion. I ask for discounts when I think I can get them be it buying a suit or electronics or a taxi. I have the right to ask for a discount the same as those I'm asking have the right to refuse or accept. The taxi driver can say no and wait for another fare or may choose to say yes. There is nothing wrong with asking and I too have bills to pay.

The local shop has the same amount of discretion as a taxi driver.Yet you seem to think its ok to ask a taxi driver for a discount yet have this notion that a shop wont give u a discount ...Just because a perosn is a taxi driver doesnt ,make it a given that you will get it or even have the nerve to ask ..A taxi driver has the same bills and financial worries as everyone else ,but u want a discount,,incredible

Kathleen Doyle encouraged it :)
    The meter is the maximum fare

Yes and she was challenged about it and told it was wrong of her to do say such a thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

The local shop has the same amount of discretion as a taxi driver.Yet you seem to think its ok to ask a taxi driver for a discount yet have this notion that a shop wont give u a discount ...Just because a perosn is a taxi driver doesnt ,make it a given that you will get it or even have the nerve to ask ..A taxi driver has the same bills and financial worries as everyone else ,but u want a discount,,incredible

Realistically if your in a shop and speaking to some 17 year old weekend girl who works for a symbol retailer then no, there is no discretion. If your speaking to a self employed individual, plumbers, builders, taxi drivers, you can of course ask for a discount.

Have you never asked for 'your best price' from someone who was doing a quote for you?

• Advertisement

No point haggling over a small fare, maybe under 10 euro.

But for a large fare like it's around 32-35 euro from my house to the airport on the meter. If I don't book the 20% firm, I can go to the local rank and someone will take me for 25 euro which is the same price the fixed priced firm charge.
    Just knock on a window and ask

It's a shopping centre rank so most runs are local so of course they'll do a deal.
    I save money, they get a long run, we both win
    :):):)
    Yes and she was challenged about it and told it was wrong of her to do say such a thing

The meter is the maximum fare, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The first step should be preventing anyone with a criminal record,.

Why stop at taxi's though? What makes taxi's special that they shouldnt allow peopel with record have them but they can work in other jobs?

No one will stop you having a classic car, just not as a taxi. I dotn see a problem with that.
    If we still have the Ford factory in Cork, all taxis would probably be Fords to boost sales and keep people in jobs
    But that's long gone

Small mercies, eh?:)

The regulator set price is the maximum they can charge. Nothing stoppign them charging less. Plus I would assuem the prices in the link are at the max price.

nothing stopping them from chargeing less?
    They have bills to pay and other financial committments and yet people "expect" a taxi driver to give a discount ...The TR was pulled up many times for making the "its the maximum charge on meter",,,she had NO right in saying it and has been told so many a time ...
    Go to your local bar and ask for a discount from your publician for your drink and you will be told where to get off,,,,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,560 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Taxi fares are the same EVERYWHERE

Yellow is hideous as a colour. The Brighton colour scheme is fairly inoffensive yet still very distinctive and only needs a relatively minor respray to de-taxi the car afterwards:

51taxi.jpg

Pity they have close to zero sign-light discipline there, cars sail past you full with their light on all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

Surely these would be the cheapest option? Just import them from the UK.

black-cab.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,560 ✭✭✭✭L1011

1: They're not cheap. 30 thousand *sterling* for the base model

2: They can't handle hills for crap. Tried and failed in Cork. Wouldn't want to get stuck getting out of Lucan Village in one (hills to all sides) for instance.

Actually the Lewkan cabbies would just go back to being hackney like they were pre-deregulation I guess...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

They have bills to pay and other financial committments and yet people "expect" a taxi driver to give a discount ...The TR was pulled up many times for making the "its the maximum charge on meter",,,she had NO right in saying it and has been told so many a time ...

How does any of that change the fact that they have the ability to charge less if they choose:confused:

That Brighton example looks good

And there are not many white cars on the road. In Rome the taxis are white so that would be distinctive too if they went for that in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I was in Barcelona and all the taxis were black with yellow doors and boot. The yellow seemed to be done with some sort of vinyl wrap.

barcelona-taxi.jpg

I think that would be the simplest way to implement it - make the new regulation that all taxis require green (for want of a better colour) front doors and bonnet, and then just have all existing taxis done with a vinyl wrap.

You can then go on to insist that all newly registered taxis adhere to a more specific colour scheme e.g. silver with green front doors and bonnet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,036 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

black-cab.jpg

Our knowledgeable people decided that these aren't suitable for use here as wheelchairs can only access from one side. And as already pointed out they are actually crap cars vehicles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Was looking at the taxis this evening after seeing this thread earlier, and the cream doesn't really age well. It looks great on the new cars, but the older ones make cream seem like a bad choice. Think i would prefer a lighter blue, something like the 11890 blue

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSjP5v6FVmUlag3TbW2OyL3mIQSq-TWgcU83HiqKSFfEGoqsmgr

Was in Barcelona recently, and didnt think the two colours really look that great, one colour for all seems better imo

Go to your local bar and ask for a discount from your publician for your drink and you will be told where to get off,,,,,
    And like my local pub the taxi driver can tell me to take a hike. I'm not forcing anyone to take less than they want, I knock on the window and ask them if they'd take me home for a tenner. If they don't think it's worth the fare they don't have to accept, I'll try the next driver.
    The local shop, a large franchise with part-time staff, do not have the same discretion as someone who is self employed. And I'm not asking for a discount "Just because a perosn is a taxi driver", I ask anyone I think can provide a discount because I'm 20 years old on a less than great wage and 3 euro can get me breakfast. Last week I got a roll of wire for free in Maplin because I asked if they'd throw it in (€2 saved, electronic shops often give discounts to those who ask), next week I have to buy a suit and I'll see if I can get a tie thrown in (that ~€20 is a couple of dinners), I'm not rich and every euro counts for me. If you're willing and able to pay full price for everything then great for you, but if someone will happily give me a discount you can be damn sure I'll take it.

It seems you think we shouldn't ask taxi drivers for discounts because they're taxi drivers, that's just ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Can we drop the whole "Taxi Discounts" conversation? It's off-topic for this thread.

If you think there's a meaningful discussion to be had (although I'm pretty sure it's been done to death), please start a new thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

AlekSmart wrote: »

The best I've ever seen, the only other city I could saw was on par with Munich is Vienna. (in relation to size of network per population)

We have a massive Suburban train network (S Bahn), a very extensive underground system ( U Bahn) a tram network and a feeder bus system that is more used to transport you to to trains stations that actually getting you to places themselves which works very well.

Its all run by the MVG

this is a map
    http://www.munich-info.de/images/mvv.jpg
    without buses

All this in a city that is not that much bigger than Dublin, oh we can dream

If you want to see how they use the bus as a feeder system you can tell from this map but be warned, at first glance it is a bit daunting.

http://mapsof.net/uploads/static-maps/thumbnails/munich_transport_map_2572x0.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Was there not a huge fuss from the taxi drivers about having to have the tariff on a sign in the side window? Something about not wanting to be known to be a taxi driver...cash business...risk of burglary...

Seems like this would lead to similar complaints.

• Advertisement
Advertisement