Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insuring a van privately?

Options
  • 27-02-2011 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

I'm seriously considering buying a small van (peugeot partner, renault kangoo, berlingo) and was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of insurance companies that will insure small vans as private vehicles?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Ray C wrote: »
    I'm seriously considering buying a small van (peugeot partner, renault kangoo, berlingo) and was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of insurance companies that will insure small vans as private vehicles?

First point of call is your own insurance company; ask them before you buy what way it will be insured and if it's possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

You would be hit with the full motor tax rate based on engine size if you choose to go private.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

You would be hit with the full motor tax rate based on engine size if you choose to go private.

yep, don't forget to tax it privately too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Ray C

I did some homework and the extra money I'd spend on tax, I'd end up saving on insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Ray C wrote: »
    I did some homework and the extra money I'd spend on tax, I'd end up saving on insurance.
    and because it is a van you will not be insured to carry more than you have seats with seat belts for so only one passenger allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Ray C

foggy_lad wrote: »
    and because it is a van you will not be insured to carry more than you have seats with seat belts for so only one passenger allowed.

That's not a problem. The missus has a car!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

Quinn, I have a van insured privately with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Dr_Herringbone

I'm currently thinking of doing something similar, would it be rude to ask how much quinn are charging you, as well as what kind of van it is, how old are you and how many years ncb do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

I'm currently thinking of doing something similar, would it be rude to ask how much quinn are charging you, as well as what kind of van it is, how old are you and how many years ncb do you have?

Well I couldn't carry my ncb over cause I'm using it on another policy, and the van is insured in my name with my son as a named driver so I'm not sure how relevant it is to you, but its around €1400 pa, but without my son on it and using 10yrs ncb it'd come in around €300 or so.

Oh and its an 02 punto van

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

gbob wrote: »
    Well I couldn't carry my ncb over cause I'm using it on another policy, and the van is insured in my name with my son as a named driver so I'm not sure how relevant it is to you, but its around €1400 pa, but without my son on it and using 10yrs ncb it'd come in around €300 or so.

Oh and its an 02 punto van
    There is also a clause in most insurance policies that will void your policy for using the van in any commercial venture like pizza delivery or leaflet delivery or as a work vehicle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement