Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Triail

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

does anyone have any good notes on "an Triail" for the more in depth questions set for 2012 exam?

What are the in depth questions like? I'm gonna wing it, it's only 5% or something:p

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Slightly over 5% :P The poems and prose are also 5% each, but it all adds up Cian :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ruthintootin

Cian A wrote: »
    What are the in depth questions like? I'm gonna wing it, it's only 5% or something:p

According to my teacher they just ask more detailed questions so you need to have a detailed understanding of the play..i just did a question and instead of it asking about Ireland in the 60's it asked about the life of a single mother in the 60's...which hasn't been asked before now!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

to be honest even if the questions are more detailed you won't be learning anymore than what people had to learn before. theres a few things you need to look at and if you are smart and understand the question you'll realise you can apply the same stuff to different questions over and over again.
    know characters: Maire, Mother, Maili and maybe one or 2 others like the brothers oh and Padraig
    know the theme
    and a few other topics and your basically sorted.

look at if this way, if you go into the exam and all you've studied is Maire you can answer questions on Maire, single mothers, life in the 60s, society because of how she was treated and one on the theme too.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭68508224

hey everyone looking back on previous papers there's questions on dramatic techniques, strengths/weaknesses etc. Does anyone know what you're meant to write about to answer these?

For example
    2010 Q. 'Many dramatic techniques are used in the play An Triail to develop the main themes' Discuss this statement and make reference to two of these techniques.
    2008 Q. Discuss the strengths/weaknesses of the stage portrayal of the main conflicts of this play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

68508224 wrote: »
    hey everyone looking back on previous papers there's questions on dramatic techniques, strengths/weaknesses etc. Does anyone know what you're meant to write about to answer these?

For example
    2010 Q. 'Many dramatic techniques are used in the play An Triail to develop the main themes' Discuss this statement and make reference to two of these techniques.
    2008 Q. Discuss the strengths/weaknesses of the stage portrayal of the main conflicts of this play.

you talk about how it's situated in court and the use of the aturnae, the imagery, language, style of the drama, flashbacks. the strength of the stage portrayal of characters that awaken the major conflicts, use the same knowledge you have and that you would be using in any other question, how the aturnae bring the audience into the play, things like "glór Mháire" etc

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭68508224

xclw wrote: »
    you talk about how it's situated in court and the use of the aturnae, the imagery, language, style of the drama, flashbacks. the strength of the stage portrayal of characters that awaken the major conflicts, use the same knowledge you have and that you would be using in any other question, how the aturnae bring the audience into the play, things like "glór Mháire" etc

thanks xclw.. does anyone have any notes on this on this aspect of the play they could send me or a link to some? it'd be much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 20 liverpoolskid

Has anyone got any pointers on what I should know? I dont want to learn the 5 extra poems so I tried an Trial! the story is understandable but Im wondering is there 1 character I could base every answer on or like, if I know the achoimre of the story will I be grand without looking at any part in much detail? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

Has anyone got any pointers on what I should know? I dont want to learn the 5 extra poems so I tried an Trial! the story is understandable but Im wondering is there 1 character I could base every answer on or like, if I know the achoimre of the story will I be grand without looking at any part in much detail? :)

You'll be grand if you have a decent overall understanding of it. I'll be going in with nothing learned off for instance, saying them I'd be far more prepared than others because I go to an Irish secondary school. It's hilarious how much work that's needed for An Triail, Prós and Poetry and how little marks actually go for them. I'd be hoping for an A1/A2 out of it with no work put in at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 liverpoolskid

You'll be grand if you have a decent overall understanding of it. I'll be going in with nothing learned off for instance, saying them I'd be far more prepared than others because I go to an Irish secondary school. It's hilarious how much work that's needed for An Triail, Prós and Poetry and how little marks actually go for them. I'd be hoping for an A1/A2 out of it with no work put in at all.

Thanks! Yeah it is so stupid, spend 2 years mostly learning the prós and poetry and an triail for only just over 16%! Do you think if I knew Maire and a basic understanding of the play that I would be alright? Are the questions usually phrased difficultly too! Sorry for all the questions, I'm just clueless about the An Triail part because my school done the 5 higher level poems instead!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 siofraban

You'll be grand if yo have a decent overall understanding of it. I'll be going in with nothing learned off for instance, saying them I'd be far more prepared than others because I go to an Irish secondary school. It's hilarious how much work that's needed for An Triail, Prós and Poetry and how little marks actually go for them. I'd be hoping for an A1/A2 out of it with no work put in at all.

Thanks! Yeah it is so stupid, spend 2 years mostly learning the prós and poetry and an triail for only just over 16%! Do you think if I knew Maire and a basic understanding of the play that I would be alright? Are the questions usually phrased difficultly too! Sorry for all the questions, I'm just clueless about the An Triail part because my school done the 5 higher level poems instead!

I suggest knowing the summary very well be able to discuss characteristics of the main characters ie Marie,her mother padraig and kinsella woman who she worked for in Dublin. Molly is Also important. have a look at the techniques also as this is nb. its all about society in the 60s and the influence of catholic Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 anonomous97

was told to write when and how the play an triail shows hypocricy but i dont even know how to start it :/ does anyone have any idea ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Do You Even Squat

The joys of pass irish......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

was told to write when and how the play an triail shows hypocricy but i dont even know how to start it :/ does anyone have any idea ? :)

Haven't looked at the bloody thing in 5 months but the mother's "Catholic nature" whilst trying to force her daughter to abort a baby to keep up appearances for the neighbours is hypocritical.

That's all I can think of at the moment :p

Advertisement