Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smoking on Dublin Bus

• 14-01-2013 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,

I was on the 39a on my way home this evening and once the bus stopped at the Blanchardstown Shopping Centre the driver came on the intercom.

Basically he advised that the smoke sensor upstairs had gone off, CCTV footage had been sent back to Dublin Bus and that as a result the Guards would be called.

Low and behold three lads come and sit downstairs to which the driver kindly informs them that it’s pointless as they have already been captured on CCTV. They obviously quickly depart the bus.

Is this true or has the driver pulled a fast one.

Thanks,
    RQ

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Could be true but I doubt it.

Either way its not going to make one jot of difference.

Do you really think the Guards are going spend time trying to trace three young twits for smoking on a bus ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Ray Quick

Hi Lapin,

I also highly doubt that the Guards would be called but I think that it's the CCTV card that is the key.

RQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

Ray Quick wrote: »
    Hi,

I was on the 39a on my way home this evening and once thebus stopped at the Blanchardstown Shopping Centre the driver came on the intercom.

Basically he advised that the smoke sensor upstairs had goneoff, CCTV footage had been sent back toDublin Bus and that as a result the Guards would be called.

Low and behold three lads come and sit downstairs to whichthe driver kindly informs them that it’s pointless as thehave already been captured on CCTV. They obviously quickly depart the bus.

Is this true or has the driver pulled a fast one.

Thanks,
    RQ

Its a bit of a fast one.
    We get the smell downstairs due to the cab window sucking the aroma down. Our next move is to use the intercom/pa, if no result contact control. Control would then inform the Garda.
    Keep in mind it is illegal to smoke and the CCTV will show that.
    The smoke sensor is our nose....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Either way the driver made a good move. He got them off the bus and *possibly* discouraged them from doing it on another bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Lapin wrote: »
    Could be true but I doubt it.

Either way its not going to make one jot of difference.

Do you really think the Guards are going spend time trying to trace three young twits for smoking on a bus ?

Would you not consider the result was a realpolitik victory ?

Three Twits had to disembark before they actually wanted to,hopefully into a stiff,damp,freezing windblast to ensure that ciggie's would be more difficult to light-up .

Yep,I'd suggest Three Cheers for a pro-active Busdriver ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement

I was on a 78A once where two people were smoking upstairs. The driver stopped the engine in Inchicore, went upstairs and said:

"If you two weren't being so ****ing "cool" up here, maybe the people standing downstairs would take a seat up here. Get rid of them."

That was the only time I'd seen a driver do something, but I wouldn't have wanted to approach someone like that for fear of what they might do to me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Karsini wrote: »
    I was on a 78A once where two people were smoking upstairs. The driver stopped the engine in Inchicore, went upstairs and said:

"If you two weren't being so ****ing "cool" up here, maybe the people standing downstairs would take a seat up here. Get rid of them."

That was the only time I'd seen a driver do something, but I wouldn't have wanted to approach someone like that for fear of what they might do to me!

Brave Busdriver,and probably foolhardy,as in the event of an assault he would have been significantly outside the companys standing instructions for these matters.

Significant amounts of people consider that buses and other public transport are free-fire zones for their anti-social weaponry,a mindset reinforced by the Driver being kept behind a screen !

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Brave Busdriver,and probably foolhardy,as in the event of an assault he would have been significantly outside the companys standing instructions for these matters.

Significant amounts of people consider that buses and other public transport are free-fire zones for their anti-social weaponry,a mindset reinforced by the Driver being kept behind a screen !

Oh I've seen it put to good use. On another 78A (I remember it was RV342 for some reason...) a passenger got on in Ballyfermot with no ticket but claimed to have a travel pass. When the driver asked to see it he got really aggressive and started punching the screen and trying to grab the driver from above. I felt terrible for the driver but he wasn't physically hurt at least. The Gardai took that passenger off the bus thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

A good few times I've witnessed people smoking on the 27. Three or four lads smoking away filling the entire upstairs with the smell of smoke, its been bad enough that my jacket reeked of cigarettes.

Told the driver and emailed Dublin bus, but nothing done. Seems to just be tolerated.

Fair play to the driver.

Advertisement