Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Doing the J1!

• 25-03-2007 12:39am

Where should I shop this summer in New York?
    What ate the studenty shops?
    I know places like Woodbury commons are great to go to.
    Would just like to know the names of good clothes shops.I am male and 19!:)
    Thanks.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

If you have time to shop you aren't doing the J1 properly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭becah

Jersey gerdens is meant to be lot better that woodbury, havent been to either, but supposedly woodbury is very expensive in comparison.

I worked in a store over there for J1 called Gant, they are quite similar to Ralph Lauren, Hilfilger etc, but a bit more unique, they have a store on 5th ave, beside St.Patricks Cathedral, also in Soho, and an outlet in Woodburry. Can be quite pricey, but they sell all their summer stuff at 50% in July, the 70% for a bit in August, I picked up a few nice hoodies, shirts and tee's for the bf, dad and brother.

I'd also reccomend urban outfitters over there, was it a bit cheaper and the mens had better variety i found, got cool stuff for my bf there.

Also, Forever 21 at Union Square is quite like h&m, is fab for girls, found the mens section to be a bit small, but again saw a few nice bits.

My dad and bro liked Century 21 down at ground zero, great for Ralph Lauren, CK etc boxers, PJ's, socks etc, all reelly good quality stuff.

Theres always Abercrombie, but I have a feeling that no-one will be wearing it in a couple of years, it'll be like the big trend in 'GAP' hoodies a few years ago, but if you like it, they had a few nice bits on sale in July that I got for my sis, flip-flops, t-shirts etc, same in the boys section.

Aeropostle is quite similar to Abercrombie, nice boys polo's and shorts, and a good bit cheaper.

My bro likes Old Navy, it's a cheaper store in the Gap chain, has nice basics, also Banana Republic is really nice, classic sweaters, chinos, shirts etc, it is also in the Gap chain, but is more expensive than Gap, better quality though, sales can be quite good there.

For more unique stuff, such as vintage etc, Soho and Greenwich village are good for one-off shops, can be pricey, but look around.

I shopped so much last summer before I came home that I ended up buying an ice hockey equipment bag to bring home all my new stuff! ($25 in a sports store, excellent investment!)

Also, a tip, most of those stores that I mentioned (Abercrombie, Aeropostle, Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic etc) are nationwide, if you can get to a mall in New Jersey, such as the Palisades, it's well worth it, as there is no sales tax charged in Jersey, also the Palisades is amazing, one of the biggest malls in America, works out a bit chreaper when you don't have to pay tax.

Advertisement