Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pádraic Nally: After the Headlines - RTE2 9.30pm

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭lukin

I was going to watch it but when I saw that tosser Bird I switched off. Not surprised to hear he had a condescending tone towards rural folk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

'Pádraic Nally: After The Headlines' is repeated tonight at 11.10pm on RTE2, if anyone missed it the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

One of the Ear to the ground presenters would have done a good job I reckon

One of them visited him for a piece last year it wasn't much better very disappointing, gonzo style reported talking of feeling afraid for his safety going in the gate.

I don't really get the whole 'Fair play to him' stance. I feel sorry for him to a certain extent given his fear, but I wouldn't be wholeheartedly in support of what he did. He still killed an unarmed person.
    InisMor wrote: »
    They haven't mentioned Ward's criminal record in this?

exactly, on remand,60+ convictions, he weren't no pillar of society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

are you watching it again, Skid.. Charlie Bird could have had a shave ffs..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Watched it just now on the player

Charlie Bird is fond of his loaded questions

Oh I don't know what the word to describe that row of headstones is. Vulgar maybe though that's a bit strong. Brash maybe?

As a previous poster said, you'd buy a good car for the money that was put into the headstone.

I dont understand why they say "John Ward, father of 11 children".. is "John Ward, a petty thief" not a more relevant description?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

are you watching it again, Skid.. Charlie Bird could have had a shave ffs..

Ha, Charlie probably read your comment and thought "Hmmm, I knew I should have had more about me in the Show. Next time, I'l talk about my beard for a bit, It's what the people want.."

Skid wrote: »
    Ha, Charlie probably read your comment and thought "Hmmm, I knew I should have had more about me in the Show. Next time, I'l talk about my beard for a bit, It's what the people want.."

Is he undercover as a homeless person?

It's a bit like TV3 production at the moment.. Nobody has mentioned the point that John Ward was a) breaking the law b) terrorising an old man and c) if he had not been on Nally's property, he would not have been shot..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

"and have you ever been to the Antarctic?"

Charlie is being very patronising...

• Advertisement

You can always trust the Travellers to bring a bit of class, humility and decorum to the burial process....

johnward.jpg

Given that the eighth commandment is "Thou shalt not steal", I'm sure the irony of adorning his burial site with Christian symbols is not lost on anyone....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

If i'm remembering correctly Charlie started crying after firing a rifle in the antartic series. He wasn't shooting anything in particular, just into the distance. Possible bias about anyone using firearms given his questioning of PN.

Or maybe he's just a wuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

gally wrote: »
    Nally had items stolen previously including if I remember correctly,his chainsaw.
    was this proven or how do you know this,not saying it isnt just asking.i wonder if some old fella walked in to a halting site and was shot in the back as he left whether we would have as many people thinking he got what he deserved,what did he have that was worth shooting a man for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

the bolt wrote: »
    was this proven or how do you know this,not saying it isnt just asking.i wonder if some old fella walked in to a halting site and was shot in the back as he left whether we would have as many people thinking he got what he deserved,what did he have that was worth shooting a man for?

:confused::confused::confused: ptotecting his life FFS.

washman3 wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused: ptotecting his life FFS.
    yeah right:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

yeah right:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

This is the same Frog Ward that had at the time a warrant out for his arrest relating to his brandishing a slash hook at guards that came to his halting site.

At the time of his death he was facing charges of attacking police officers with a slash hook.
    http://web.archive.org/web/20070928081023/http://www.96fm.ie/newsroom/indepth.asp?id=67035&pt=n

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

You can always trust the Travellers to bring a bit of class, humility and decorum to the burial process....

johnward.jpg

Given that the eighth commandment is "Thou shalt not steal", I'm sure the irony of adorning his burial site with Christian symbols is not lost on anyone....

Must not have thought too highly of him.
    Wouldn't hold a candle to some of their graves around here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Ward was going in to rob Nally. The man was pushed to the limit and he reacted to protect himself and his property. Its easy to speculate in your urban surroundings but its a different thing when a person is isolated in a rural area and living in constant fear which Padraig Nally was.

im from a rural area myself so i have a fair idea of the kind of place he lives in but my understanding of it is that ward was leaving the mans farm and was shot in the back.is that true or is my understanding of it wrong.i have no problem with his defending himself or even his property but im not sure that that was the case in this instance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

im from a rural area myself so i have a fair idea of the kind of place he lives in but my understanding of it is that ward was leaving the mans farm and was shot in the back.is that true or is my understanding of it wrong.i have no problem with his defending himself or even his property but im not sure that that was the case in this instance.

check out Padraig Nally Farmer on Wikipedia. very interesting and well worth a read.

Anybody up for seconds.. ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Ok, With ketchup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Is the bird on drugs or drink, or just down and out ?.

"It criminalised him without the facts"....

What, ignoring the fact that he was a convicted criminal in the process of a crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

he looks simple

• Advertisement

he looks simple

Who the bird ?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Is the bird on drugs or drink, or just down and out ?.

I think Charlie lived out in the wilderness with some broke developer for 8 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,638 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

was that the same show?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Charlie Bird started slagging the mans accent at one stage, no bizhness in the mmaart today.
    He kept needling nally into answering questions that he clearly was not comfortable with.
    But bird really doesnt have a clue of country life they might have well sent Rosanna davidson to do the interview.

Bird you are some twat.

kupus wrote: »
    Charlie Bird started slagging the mans accent at one stage, no bizhness in the mmaart today.
    He kept needling nally into answering questions that he clearly was not comfortable with.
    But bird really doesnt have a clue of country life they might have well sent Rosanna davidson to do the interview.

Bird you are some twat.

That is how he got clattered outside Clearys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement