Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC MUSIC PRACTICALS

Options
  • 03-09-2013 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hey guys,does anybody know anything about the technology part in the music practical ? My teacher is horrendous and I don't even want to ask her about it. Basically what I'm wondering is if it's a good thing to do or should I just stick with my 8 pieces ? Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 wattiepad

I'd definitely recommend doing music technology for the practical! Like you I was wondering whether I should just do 8 pieces on my chosen instrument or do half and half (4 piano pieces, 2 music tech), but then think about it, 8 pieces is actually a looot of learning off (trust me it is). Music tech is really easy once you get the hang of it. In the exam you have to do three things: Transcribe the music notes onto the software, edit the piece and save/print it. It might seem quite complicated at first, but really it's just a breeze. When I did music tech for my practical I was literally in the room for 10 minutes before the examiner told me I was done. So yeah, I'd say go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

At the end of the day it's how you feel about the technology. Based on what our teacher told us, it's pretty handy and if you do 4 pieces + tech they mark you easier ( than if you do 6 on one instrument). As Wattiepad said, tech is very easy once you get the hang of it. We were , however, told that if you don't like it/ don't do any work on it before hand, it can turn out a disaster! In summary; give it a go,( I'm pretty sure you can download one of the softwares for free, either Finale Notepad or Sibelius) you'll know within about five minutes or so whether its for you or not! It's can be an easy 25% if it suits you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭gabsy

At the end of the day it's how you feel about the technology. Based on what our teacher told us, it's pretty handy and if you do 4 pieces + tech they mark you easier ( than if you do 6 on one instrument). As Wattiepad said, tech is very easy once you get the hang of it. We were , however, told that if you don't like it/ don't do any work on it before hand, it can turn out a disaster! In summary; give it a go,( I'm pretty sure you can download one of the softwares for free, either Finale Notepad or Sibelius) you'll know within about five minutes or so whether its for you or not! It's can be an easy 25% if it suits you :)
    Thanks to both of ye ! I'm really considering it now and I'm usually good with computers and stuff so this shouldn't be a problem I will try it out this evening.I am trying to cut down the workload and I think 8 pieces would take a lot of time to perfect them as I am aiming for a high grade in this subject. Thanks for your advice ! :D

wattiepad wrote: »
    I'd definitely recommend doing music technology for the practical! Like you I was wondering whether I should just do 8 pieces on my chosen instrument or do half and half (4 piano pieces, 2 music tech), but then think about it, 8 pieces is actually a looot of learning off (trust me it is). Music tech is really easy once you get the hang of it. In the exam you have to do three things: Transcribe the music notes onto the software, edit the piece and save/print it. It might seem quite complicated at first, but really it's just a breeze. When I did music tech for my practical I was literally in the room for 10 minutes before the examiner told me I was done. So yeah, I'd say go for it!
    Thank you :) I def will now ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 wattiepad

gabsy wrote: »
    Thank you :) I def will now ! :)

No problem! If you have more questions about it or anything else on the course, just PM me, I'd be happy to help :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

Hmm Music Tech sounds kinda similar to Music Production. I'm a producer (have been for 2 years) and it's very simple. Not sure what software you'll use but trust me writing in midi on a piano roll and saving it/exporting it as a midi is child's play. You'll be fine :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They use Sibelius in our place. Not sure if that's the same nationally. It's fairly straightforward to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

spurious wrote: »
    They use Sibelius in our place. Not sure if that's the same nationally. It's fairly straightforward to use.

Ah, sibelius is a scoring program rather than a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) so you have to write in sheet :/ Harder than I thought haha

Yeah my school uses Sibelius :)

Advertisement