Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing memory - Invisible data on my 3 Tb HDD

Options
  • 25-05-2014 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi there.
    I was hoping to get an answer to a problem I'm having with my 3 Tb (2.72 Tb) Seagate expansion drive.
    I use this drive as storage for my movie collection which weighs in at about 1.23 Tb. There is little else on the drive, yet the drive comes up as having only 46.6 Gb free space. Windows can see the entire 2.72 Tb, so it's not that, and right clicking and clicking properties on the other folders on the drive accounts for a few Gb only.

It's as if there is a hidden archive or file of about 1.5 Tb somewhere (I can see hidden files/folders).

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

You don't give any details of the OS or the format type but it's possible it may have something to do with this ?

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭TheChizler

What does it say in Computer/Disk Management in windows?

Depending on the OS it could be as simple as emptying the disk's hidden recycle bin. Try a disk cleanup.

Have you unhidden system files on the disk?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SuperTony

Sorry. I'm running windows 7 ultimate (Build 7601 : Service Pack 1).
    The drive is not partitioned. All 3 Tb are available to me.
    I can see hidden files/folders, and I've emptied the recycly bin.
    I'll try a disk clean up while I walk the dog.

Thanks all!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SuperTony

Downloaded a utility called WinDirStat which allows you to see exactly what and where each file or folder is on your disk.
    Turns out I had 3 big backup files, each of 0.5 Tb, so - problem solved!

Advertisement