Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed Bumps

Options
  • 17-07-2008 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭

There's speed bumps appearing on so many roads in Dublin lately it's unreal (I'm sure loads of posters have noticed).
    They're not the normal ones that go from one kerb to another, they's usually about 4, they're usually red and there's gaps obetween them. Are these the most pointless invention ever?
    Drivers just drive down the road and swerve so the car wheels are either side of them so you don't even need to slow down. Can actually be dangerous when it's busy because cars at both sides of the road swerve, going for the same "gap", and instead of being on each side of the road, they're both going for the same centre gap!! Surely if they want speed bumps they should make real ones instead of these crazy ones?
    Anyone know whats the point of putting these "speed bumps" around the city? All they do is make drivers do a slalom run down the road.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I hate spped ramps with a pasion. I'd rather speed cameras on every single road than ramps. At least I have an option to not fly past the camera. Half my drive to and from work is spent acceleratign and deceleratign for ramps. Then there tools that have no problem bouncing their cars over them, with lower trim hitting the ground, but expect you to do the same. Idiots.

I dont mind the little island ones so much cos you can just drive go a wheel either side and miss them altogether.

As for puttign cars in each others paths with swerving, most on the routes I tke have 2 in each lane so even when people go over the outside one, they dont cross the centre line.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Anyone know whats the point of putting these "speed bumps" around the city? All they do is make drivers do a slalom run down the road.:confused:

They're known as Bus Cushions.
    See:
    http://roads.southdublin.ie/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_view&gid=144
    and
    http://209.85.135.104/search?q=cache:eQ4X3M8E8GkJ:www.sdublincoco.ie/index.aspx%3Fpageid%3D22%26deptid%3D12%26dpageid%3D273+bus+cushions&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Hate them too, especially the crazy huge ones that seem to be more and more prevalent. They force anyone with even a modicum of respect for their car to slow to an absolute crawl. Awful for mpg and the environment. The worst offenders are the bumps without warning or reflectors - drive along an unknown road at night and then WALLOP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Bus Cushions, they're the ones! Stekelly, sometimes they're too close to the kerb and people go for the other one and swerve onto the middle of the road. Not crossing the line, but very close to it, and when someone is doing the same on the other side, it can be dangerous! I drive down Withworth Road in drumcondra every day, It's funny looking down the dead straight road and seeing cars every 50m or so swerving onto the other side to avoid them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,388 ✭✭✭fletch

Anyone driven on the strawberry beds lately? They have to be the most annoying bumps ever! That used to a great road, the bumps are now so harsh I nearly have to stop in my car to go over them. My mam's car is great fun(Fiat Panda) as you can literally fly bumps without having to slow down as there's no overhangs :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭thirdmantackle

bumps in the strawberry beds?

when did this happen???

ffs

Advertisement