Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bench warrant issued by Limerick judge for arrest of Quinn Direct boss

Options
  • 17-07-2008 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Bench warrant issued by Limerick judge for arrest of Quinn Direct boss
    Published Date: 16 July 2008

By Petula Martyn
    A WARRANT has been issued for the arrest of the general manager of Quinn Direct Insurance after the company failed to provide a Limerick motorist with a copy of his insurance certificate for court proceedings.
    A subpoena was issued to Colin Morgan of Quinn Direct last month to appear before Limerick District Court yesterday as a witness for the motorist who is accused of driving with no insurance.

Judge Tom O'Donnell criticised the insurance company saying customers are paying money to Quinn Direct and they are entitled to be able to prove that they have a policy.

Mark Moloney, 18, of South Claughaun Road, Garryowen is contesting the charges against him because he claims he is insured by Quinn Direct.

The teenager was stopped by Sergeant Pat O'Brien on Michael Street on July 14 last year and charged with the road traffic offences.

A fax of Mr Moloney's insurance certificate was supplied by Quinn Direct for a court sitting on May 13 last, but the fax was not accepted by gardai because the information on it was illegible.

Solicitor, John Herbert, on behalf of Mr Moloney, issued a subpoena on June 26 to the company's general manager at Quinn Direct Head Office, Dublin Road, Cavan, to appear in court this week. The cover letter sent to Mr Morgan said there would be no need for him to appear in court if he provided a copy of the original certificate of insurance.

Mr Herbert said he received no response from Quinn Direct and Mr Morgan was not present in the district court yesterday.

Judge O'Donnell said a customer of an insurance company should not have to go such lengths to prove he has car insurance and issued a bench warrant for the arrest of the Quinn Direct general manager.

He adjourned the case until July 29.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Be...ick.4292531.jp

About time I hope he gets whats coming to him:D:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Why did the guy not have his original copy? Was he driving around with no disc or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Fair play, the customer should not be needing to go to these lengths in order to prove they ae insured at all. Bad form by Quinn.

Also fair play to the teenager involved for going down the legal path on this one and show Quinn Direct it is the customer who is paramount.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Jaysus those judges live in a world of their own.
    Tinpot dictators.
    I can imagine the guy salivating at the thought of issuing a warrant for a big shot like that. Ridiculous stuff.
    Funny but absolutely ridiculous decision.

chris85 wrote: »
    Fair play, the customer should not be needing to go to these lengths in order to prove they ae insured at all. Bad form by Quinn.

Also fair play to the teenager involved for going down the legal path on this one and show Quinn Direct it is the customer who is paramount.

Go to what lenghts? If he was drivign aroudn having had no correspondence fromt he insurance company and assuming he's insure then he's a gob****e.

If he recieved his documents and had his disc in the window but lost his cert he really only has himself to blame. All Quinn can be accused of is beign slow to post a replacement.

He didnt have much choice in goign down the legal route, he was in court for not havign insurance, he didnt bring Quinn to court for not giving him a cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Stekelly wrote: »
    Go to what lenghts? If he was drivign aroudn having had no correspondence fromt he insurance company and assuming he's insure then he's a gob****e.

If he recieved his documents and had his disc in the window but lost his cert he really only has himself to blame. All Quinn can be accused of is beign slow to post a replacement.

He didnt have much choice in goign down the legal route, he was in court for not havign insurance, he didnt bring Quinn to court for not giving him a cert.

Yeah i lost my cert a while ago while moving house and insurance company was quick to send one out. The guy is getting in trouble as the fax copy was not sufficient for the guards. He is insured and thats that. So what if he cant find his cert, He should keep it in a safe place but sometimes these things get mislaid and I would expect the insurance company to be sending one out straight away realising its importance.

Did you read the article he obviously is insured as Quinn did fax the insurance cert but the details werent even legible so obviously he did have insurance if they faxed it. and he was looking to bring Quinn to court as the teenager got a solicter to subpoena to the manager of Quinn Direct which he did not show up for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Maybe he had just got the insurance and was waiting for the disc to arrive?

Or the disc was lost in the post or something?

Without knowing the whole story it's difficult to pass judgment - unless your the judge ;)

Cionád wrote: »
    Maybe he had just got the insurance and was waiting for the disc to arrive?

Or the disc was lost in the post or something?

Without knowing the whole story it's difficult to pass judgment - unless your the judge ;)

Regardless of the circumstances, your not supposed to be drivign around without the disc displayed. The "leeway" issue that prevailes for things here has no basis in law.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Quinn may have received money from the defendant, but never issued the documents. Driving around without the disc displayed, but having a policy, is much less serious than not having insurance.

In general all of this paper is archaic, there should be a single EU wide database of insurance so that Gardai can quickly check if a car is insured.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

The "leeway" issue that prevailes for things here has no basis in law.

AFAIK, where insurance discs are concerned, there is leeway in the legislation - it only allows a few days though (presumably for the stuff to arrive in the post).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

Regardless of the circumstances, your not supposed to be drivign around without the disc displayed. The "leeway" issue that prevailes for things here has no basis in law.

This is why i am so happy with this decision to issue an arrerst warrent.I transferd my insurance to quinn 2 months ago and was waiting a month for my policy and disc and apearntly its very common its about time and i hope he gets whats coming to him.Its not the drivers fault he was proabably in the same boat i was paying for insurance and waiting a month for a policy is unacceptable in anybodys book and quinn should not be left get away with there sub standerd service:mad: Maybe now they will get there act together

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

As far as i know, it is boards policy not to comment on open court cases, so I'll provisionally lock this thread now, pending further clarification

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement