Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running for Fitness/Weight loss

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

6 miles today at 8:35/mile - really strong wind blowing out there

Took a day off yesterday - 6 mile slow run today 9min/miles

Been nearly 10 days since I did any kind of a fast run so today was 5 miles in 38:03 (7:37/mile), that's a PB for me for the distance delighted with how I felt during the run. Going to be putting the feet up for the next few days til Cork on Monday.

I'll be running 13.9 miles as part of the relay will be a bit awkward to run for the half marathon distance as there will be nearly a mile left.

Predictions: 1:54:00 for the 13.9
    1:47:00 for the 13.1

Will be happy with anything close to those times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

best of luck Ike, wish I was going but will have to wait till August, according to a running prediction calculator your estimate time is spot on, so again enjoy and best of luck:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Good luck on Monday,
    I'm doing the relay too but only 1 leg.
    I did 2 legs last year and it was a great day.
    Running a 5k later that evening then.
    Enjoy it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

best of luck on monday ike prob wont get a chance to meet before as im driving down the monday morning so wont have a lot of time, but im race number 88 ya never know i might just bump into you:D

Finished my part of the relay (13.9miles) in 1:55:03 and went through the half marathon stage on 1:47:27 so overall I'm very happy with those times...as they were close to what I predicted. Considering that the longest run I did in training was only 10 miles and I only did one of those, I have no complaints.

Found it quite hot after 8 miles and the lack of a decent breeze didn't really help but still could have been a lot worse! Gives me plenty of time to push on from this for a full marathon.

Now I'm off to tend to a bit of chaffing :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

excellent going ike, your half marathon time is exactly (to the second) how long it took me to do 11 miles yesterday, and I was in bits, couldn't dream of doing anymore, so again excellent, your flying and I'll use you as my benchmark, I reckon:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

well done Ike, great time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

great stuff ike, you were only seconds off your predicted half marathon time so you must be delighted with that, even more impressive as you only did one 10 miler in the build up,congrats again now on to the next challenge !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Nice one congrats on reaching your goal ike.

Thanks a lot guys - a bit more hard work and a few more miles and the full marathon should'nt be as daunting

Legs very very stiff yesterday was walking with a bit of a limp, much better today, a little bit achy but at least I can walk normally now.

Swam about 10 lengths of the pool yesterday which helped. Today I ran a very easy 2 miles on the threadmill in about 19min, could feel the blood flowing back to my muscles which felt good.

Booked in for a deep tissue massage this evening, so all going well I'll do a few more miles tomorrow.

Oh yeah I'm officially 13st 10lbs (scales have been consistantly saying so for the last week) so that makes a 2 stone loss since the 1st Feb. Nice! :D

Next plan is for myself and my mate to head up to Lisburn to run the half marathon up there, its in 2 weeks time so need to knuckle down want to get a sub 1:45:00 half under my belt.

5 miles easy/recovery run 8:30 per mile. Legs still a bit achy but coming around.

Opted for my usual 5k hill session on the threadmill today, to give the legs a bit less of a pounding. Fully recovered now.

All going well I'll go for 10 on Sunday morning.

10 miles this morning.

This morning's run was about getting the concept of a negative split into my head. I know what it is and why you do it but can never seem to put it into practice!! :confused: Which is a silly considering I have the Garmin to pace me, problem is if I feel good at the start of a run I ususally take off only to fade before the finish with nothing left in the tank

So on the basic of that I averaged the first 6 miles in 8:30 and the next in 8:13 and finished the last 3 averaging 7:45. Felt comfortable over those last three as well with maybe another mile left at that pace.

Lesson learnt. :cool:

5 miles at 8:30/mile - very hot out there

5 miles today different route than normal. Averaged the first 2 in 8:16 and the last 3 in 7:47. Was feeling really tired afer getting less than 4 hours sleep last night so had to grind it out a bit

Wanted to do an early morning run - just never got may act together all year - so I hit the road for 7:15. Ran the first 3 in 8:10 and finished with a 7:20 and 6:59. Followed by a half mile jog to cool down and a few lengths of the pool

4 miles this evening 8:15/mile. My first double session. Its definately getting easier! As strange as it may seem I think its the only run I've done where it rained from start to finish.

Won't be able to run this weekend so tomorrow maybe the last session this week.

All going well I'll be heading up to Lisburn Wed evening for the half marathon and will be doing my damnest to get a 1:45:00.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭zeppe

Hi Ike, I find it impossible to run really early in the morning too. Have no energy at all, I like the evening runs best. Good luck in the half-marathon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

ike wrote: »

All going well I'll be heading up to Lisburn Wed evening for the half marathon and will be doing my damnest to get a 1:45:00.

Best of luck with it, hope it worked out for you.

7.5 miles @ 8:15/mile

Firstly we decided to cancel heading up to Lisburn this week for a few reasons - it seems a ridiculous hike 3.5hr drive up to run an evening race, and more importantly my mate's wife is due their second child within the next couple of weeks so he wasn't to keen on being too far away when it's so close. Been in that boat myself so can't say I blame him.

After last Wed I was feeling very tired with little or no energy, so I have'nt ran since last Thursday. Not sure what it was and still feel a bit like that today. Had a lot going on in my head last week so maybe that was it. :confused: Would'nt have been able to run this weekend anyway as my wife was working so maybe that was a good thing...

The one thing about running is the way it clears your head...

Hit the road today and rattled off 5 miles @ 8min/mile without even trying.

5K hill session on the threadmill - normally do this at 8:00/mile pace today I upped the pace to 7:30/mile.

Been hectic in work this week so I have'nt been able to plan out this week as much as I'd like. Normally I take Wednesday as a rest day regardless of how much or little I run, but i needed to get a run as tomorrow is looking dodgy for getting out.

Tonight (after the rain stopped!) 4 miles 2@8min/mile & 2@7:20/mile.

Had hoped for a min of 30miles this week only 12 clocked up so far

8 miles today - 1:04:53 averaged 8:07/mile bit faster that I had planned but it just felt right so I just went with it.

Hoping for 10-12 on Sunday morning and thats my mileage for this week rescued..nice

Yeuch I absolutely hate running in stong wind - give me rain, hail or snow but not strong wind - cut my 10 miles back to 5 this morning just wasn't enjoying it

Felt like a bit of a cop out this morning so I headed out this evening around for another 5miles around 8:00 (8:15/mile). Conditions were much better Keeps this weeks total at 30 miles at least. Thats the second double session I've done and I'm happy with the recovery between sessions.

• Advertisement

Tonight 8 miles average 8:10

Advertisement