Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underbelly Appreciation thread: May contain spoilers

Options
  • 31-10-2014 11:41pm

Hi. Think its high time we started an Underbelly appreciation thread. The thread would of course Extend to Fat Tony and co too. A thread where we could share the best moments from the show regardless of what series.

Personally i loved the Second season out of all of them and i love the way the Kane brothers were so closely linked to the Morans in Season 1 (upon doing the bit of googling and research).

My favourite character out of Season 2 was Chris Flannery because he was so unpredictable and psychotic but i thought that George Freeman sure had style :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Piss off! ;)

Dempsey wrote: »
    Piss off! ;)

Which bit was that from again? Was that a Jason Moran scene?

Which bit was that from again? Was that a Jason Moran scene?

Quite a few of them said it if I remember correctly but Jason used it alot.

Its an excellent show and if anyone hasnt seen the show...

857715-carl-williams.jpg

Thats the real Carl Williams 14-carat gold plated casket. His death isnt covered by the series so its not a spoiler, i think. Such a dunderhead but his funeral plainly shows how much power he had in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Moghead

Watched all of season 1 and part of season 2, must go back and finish it. Are the later seasons worth watching? My favorite characters is season 1 were Carl Williams and Alfonse Gangitano.

Its a jungle out there.

Dempsey wrote: »
    Quite a few of them said it if I remember correctly but Jason used it alot.

Its an excellent show and if anyone hasnt seen the show...
    Thats the real Carl Williams 14-carat gold plated casket.
    His death isnt covered by the series so its not a spoiler, i think. Such a dunderhead but his funeral plainly shows how much power he had in the end.

Jason was some head banger no doubt. Played excellently by Les Hill. Callum Mulvey who landed a part in the last Batman film played Mark Moran.

Carls story was covered in Fat Tony alright just to inform you. Best line in Season 1 was
    when Jason slapped Carl across the face and wished him merry christmas
    :D

• Advertisement

Moghead wrote: »
    Watched all of season 1 and part of season 2, must go back and finish it. Are the later seasons worth watching? My favorite characters is season 1 were Carl Williams and Alfonse Gangitano.

Its a jungle out there.

Season 2 (My absolute favourite) is based on the Mr Asia story where Terry Clark moves to Australia and forms a heroin distribution network with Bob Trimbole. Also looks at the fallout from the great bookie robbery in Melbourne where Ray Chuck Bennett has a stand off with the Kane Brothers.

Season 3 dealt moreso with widespread corruption in Kings Cross and focuses on the Kings Cross detectives and the corrupt culture amongst them in particular Chook Fowler and Trevor Haken (who were both real people)

Season 4 was based on the Razor Gangs of Sydney in the 30s.

Season 5 was based on the hunt for murderer Anthony Rooster Perish who ran a big drugs operation in NSW

Season 6 is based in the 20s on Norman Squizzy Taylor from Melbourne.

Then you have 3 mini films - One based on 2 cops who were murdered in Melbourne, another based on a sting to catch the Griffith calabrian mafia. And there is also another mini film based on David McMillan, a rich boy turned heroin dealer

So far ive seen 1,2,3,5 and Fat Tony as well as the 3 mini films. For some reason both season 4 and 6 just dont appeal to me

I must confess that I thought the first time I saw them promoting the series I saw it as a shameless cashing in on the Sopranos success but its not that at all. It stands on its own.

Id agree with the pecking order

I lost alot of interest in the series with the Razor Gangs, the story is interesting but how the show told it was dull tbh but season 5 was qite good but I havent seen season 6 and I have little desire to tbh but maybe i'll give it ago.

I seen the first 2 of the tv movies and they are decent too.

I feel like watching the series again and filling in the gaps with the season and tv movie i didnt see too. Worse ways to send the time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Moghead

Thats the real Carl Williams 14-carat gold plated casket. His death isnt covered by the series so its not a spoiler, i think. Such a dunderhead but his funeral plainly shows how much power he had in the end.

I read somewhere before that in real life Williams was far scarier and not as dumb as he comes accross in the show.

It's funny to spot all the ex Home and Away actors in the show too!

I read somewhere before that in real life Williams was far scarier and not as dumb as he comes accross in the show.

I cant imagine you would grow a drug empire under the nose of your employers without having some smarts. Then again id say he had a valuable ally in Mokbel although he sure knew it too to be fair to him.

I think the show could have done his rise from wheelman to kingpin better. The show took the angle that he knew the people to enforce his thinking and how to get them onside and the everything filtered from that but they should have shown him 'hardening' to what he was doing better.

• Advertisement

Id love to see the Kanes/Painters and Dockers story in greater detail if they decided to do a further spinoff. Probably a little known fact is that Les Kanes daughter Trish became Jason Morans wife. Moran was said to be very like Kane in that he was a nasty angry little bully whereas Brian Kane was more measured of the two akin to Mark Moran.

As for the likes of Bob Trimbole, he sure had his hands in alot of pies too.
    Trimbole was actually rumbled in Ireland gun running for the RA but our justice system being what it was decided against extraditing him back to Australia
    :rolleyes:
    Most of Clarkes heroin probably hit the streets of Dublin at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭brian_t

In keeping with the Australian criminal fraternity I see RTE are showing Bikie Wars: Brothers in Arms on a Thursday night (late).

I only just caught the end of the first episode myself.

brian_t wrote: »
    In keeping with the Australian criminal fraternity I see RTE are showing Bikie Wars: Brothers in Arms on a Thursday night (late).

I only just caught the end of the first episode myself.

Few of the Underbelly actors in it too.
    Callan Mulvey who played Mark Moran
    Damien Walshe Howling who played Benji Veniamin
    Matt Nable who played Det Gary Jubelin in Underbelly Series 5

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭dubmick

I enjoyed season one and two but thought the third season (based in Kings Cross) was laughable. Were any of the subsequent seasons worth watching?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

underbelly fan here :) have seen all bar 5 n 6 ...off i go looking

Advertisement