Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do we all think of Frasier?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

Real chemistry between the characters and the script writers were amazing.

I didn't get the show at all at first I admit, presuming it was entertainment exclusively for middle class snobs until I realised they were actually taking the piss out them and how ridiculous they are.

I think that was the role Martin Crane , Daphanie, & Roz's characters served cause Fraiser & Niles's characters couldn't have become even mildly likable otherwise.

Favourite episodes. featured Bulldog &Phoebe heavily. Still remember the episode when Niles met Bulldog for the first time and asked him why he didn't air the sqash results on his show.
    Phoebe was a great character too.

Phoebe ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    For some reason that episode really irritates me and I can't watch. Probably because he gets away with it! :pac:

that episode with Michael keaton was good alright, but the one thing that bugged me after was how the hell did he put that knife in to his leg??

Oh and a bit of Frasier trivia... since Phoebe was mentioned above... Lisa Kudrow was the original choice for the part of Roz, but after a few rehearsals it wasnt working out. So they decided to recast the part, and when they found Peri Gilpin for the part Lisa Kudrow sent her flowers to congratulate her..... Unfortunately Lisa Kudrow never worked in TV again.... oh wait.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭MikeD22

dnme wrote: »
    Phoebe ?

Maybe they mean Bebe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Had the one on this morning where Frasier backs the political candidate who believes he was abducted by aliens :D

'Phil Patterson.... the sane choice'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Excellent series - haven't seen anything come close to Frasier in years. I have the complete series on DVD but I ration it now because I want to be surprised by the humour.

You all mentioned my favourite episodes - Niles was outstanding in the ironing scene an exceptional actor who stole the show often. One of my favourites was when Frasier's girlfriends mother thought he was Jewish and it was christmas - I still laugh at Niles rushing in dressed as Jesus and the row Frasier and Martin had trying to do it the Jewish way!

Or the Cavier episode.

And the Antiques Roadshow episode.

The only bad episodes involved Daphne's brother - his accent was terrible and he just bloody annoyed me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Oh and a bit of Frasier trivia... since Phoebe was mentioned above... Lisa Kudrow was the original choice for the part of Roz, but after a few rehearsals it wasnt working out.

EVERYONE knows that. :pac: :P

I found the reason why she was let go interesting. They all agreed that Lisa was really talented (and she is), but they found that Kelsey Grammer was overpowering her. She can play many different things but apparently earthy and brassy wasn't in her repertoire!

I love the Roz we got though, so it's all good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

cloud493 wrote: »
    Had the one on this morning where Frasier backs the political candidate who believes he was abducted by aliens :D

'Phil Patterson.... the sane choice'

Oh that is so brilliant. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

The quote from that episode that gets me every time (the episode being "The Candidate", as mentioned above; Niles and Frasier are arguing in the kitchen over Phil Patterson. Niles wants to continue supporting him, as he is a man who is liberal and will support the arts, education and so on. Niles is trying to gloss over the alien thing and make it seem less nuts.)

Niles: Answer me this, can you tell me, with any certainty, that in such a vast universe that there isn't intelligent life on other planets?

Frasier: At the moment, I'm not sure there's intelligent life in this kitchen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭Spudzzmurphy

Really a good series,enjoyed all the shows.:D

DazMarz wrote: »
    The quote from that episode that gets me every time (the episode being "The Candidate", as mentioned above; Niles and Frasier are arguing in the kitchen over Phil Patterson. Niles wants to continue supporting him, as he is a man who is liberal and will support the arts, education and so on. Niles is trying to gloss over the alien thing and make it seem less nuts.)

Niles: Answer me this, can you tell me, with any certainty, that in such a vast universe that there isn't intelligent life on other planets?

Frasier: At the moment, I'm not sure there's intelligent life in this kitchen!

'Theres nothing more important than our professional ethics. Fortunately, I know a way around them.'

• Advertisement

Martin has decorated the apartment for Christmas:

Frasier: "Ah yes. That magical time of year when only the Great Wall of China and my apartment are the only 2 man-made structures visible from space."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭Glebee

Got the entire box set as a present a few years ago and only got around to watching season 1. Have to make time to get through it. Some of the humour is just sublime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Was rewatching the episode where Frasier and Niles start a Black Market Caviar Distribution Ring, and Martin tries to return money to the bank. Easily one of the best episodes.

Season 10, Episode 18 'Roe To Perdition' if anyone hasn't seen it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Frasier was fantastic, goes down as one of the best sitcoms of all time. Definitely in my top 5.

For me Frasier was the best character, a fine big fella yet a complete wuss, charming yet unlucky in love, successful yet a screw up, completele pompous git yet a loveable and decent human being.

The show's greatest strength was that the drama was just as genuine as the comedy. The relationships between the main characters, in particular the dynamic between the 3 lads was completely identifiable. There were times where id find myself genuinely choked up watching it as well as laughing my arse off.

My favourite quote from the show:

" Niles: I happen to know the chef at Emilio's is very unhappy.

Frasier: Of course, everyone knows that. The man's scongili is a cry for help. "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

'FINE FINE......I guess I'll have to make my OWN TEA'

I die laughing every time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,256 ✭✭✭✭flazio

To this day I find it hard to believe that Kelsey Grammer and David Hyde Pierce are not real brothers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Frasier's Shakespearean rants are what makes the show great for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,364 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I wonder if everyone has a different picture of Maris in their head :p

Really an incredible job they did of getting constant laughs out of someone who never made an appearance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭crybaby

I haven't watched an episode Frasier in about 10 years but based solely on this thread alone I'm going to hunt down some seasons of it to watch with my wife

Do we need to start on season 1 or is it better just to skip to later episodes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,364 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

crybaby wrote: »
    I haven't watched an episode Frasier in about 10 years but based solely on this thread alone I'm going to hunt down some seasons of it to watch with my wife

Do we need to start on season 1 or is it better just to skip to later episodes?

Season 1 is as good as any of them, start there. Haven't been on irish netflix in a while but it's definitely on the US one.

• Advertisement

crybaby wrote: »
    I haven't watched an episode Frasier in about 10 years but based solely on this thread alone I'm going to hunt down some seasons of it to watch with my wife Do we need to start on season 1 or is it better just to skip to later episodes?

Season 1 covers his move to Seattle and there's a bit of background stuff... It's a brilliant series though, and is probably the one I would start with in any case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

flazio wrote: »
    To this day I find it hard to believe that Kelsey Grammer and David Hyde Pierce are not real brothers.

Looking at a younger, slimmer, less bald Frasier in episodes of Cheers circa 1985 the resemblance to DHP is uncanny.

Liam O wrote: »
    I wonder if everyone has a different picture of Maris in their head :p

Really an incredible job they did of getting constant laughs out of someone who never made an appearance.

There was a brilliant moment in an episode, I think it was called "Ask Me No Questions...", where Frasier is trying to answer a question Niles asked about his marriage. Frasier then determines to meet the best person to know about this in Café Nervosa. Of course, the initial implication is that it will be Maris herself.

At the café, Frasier waves to a woman in a hat, sunglasses and scarf, elegantly dressed and pale and thin. For a single moment, it's like "OHMIGOD!" when you think it's her... but she walks past Frasier and Marta, Maris's Guatemalan maid, walks in instead...

Brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I never watched Frasier from start to finish until now. Usually I'd catching episodes here and there and got a laugh out of it.

Watching it now from start to finish and just nearly finished season 2. Still plenty of laughs and a razor sharp wit. Hard to believe what I'm watching is 20 years old, hasnt aged abit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Frasier was fantastic, goes down as one of the best sitcoms of all time. Definitely in my top 5.

For me Frasier was the best character, a fine big fella yet a complete wuss, charming yet unlucky in love, successful yet a screw up, completele pompous git yet a loveable and decent human being.

The show's greatest strength was that the drama was just as genuine as the comedy. The relationships between the main characters, in particular the dynamic between the 3 lads was completely identifiable. There were times where id find myself genuinely choked up watching it as well as laughing my arse off.

My favourite quote from the show:

" Niles: I happen to know the chef at Emilio's is very unhappy.

Frasier: Of course, everyone knows that. The man's scongili is a cry for help.
    "

Just re-watched that very episode earlier and was crying laughing at Niles perfectly timed quote after everything in the restaurant and the sprinklers went off: "I hope your happy. You've thinned my brown sauce". :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

"Oh Niles, you're being irrational".

"Sticks and stones..."

"Honestly, you're behaving just like dad".

"YOU TAKE THAT BACK".

Frasier has just fallen victim to one of Bulldog's practical jokes on air

Frasier: Well, that's one on me. Or rather, one on me and my call-screener, Roz, whose ancestors were once heard remarking, "Oh, what a nice wooden horse! Of course I'll sign for it."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I didn't always like every episode of Frasier, but when it was good, it was very very good. To this day I can't hear the word "eclectic" without a flashback to the first episode:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭briany

I was probably a weird child or had maybe a slightly advanced taste for my age because I enjoyed Frasier even then, but even more so now. Just a brilliant sitcom, that's very rewarding to watch. Deals with so many issues in a graceful, charming, and above all humorous manner.j
    Frasier has just fallen victim to one of Bulldog's practical jokes on air

Frasier: Well, that's one on me. Or rather, one on me and my call-screener, Roz, whose ancestors were once heard remarking, "Oh, what a nice wooden horse! Of course I'll sign for it."

Frasier's typically overwrought plan to get revenge on Bulldog (mightn't be the same episode, I know) is comedy gold. As he explains to Roz:

He opens his briefcase and shows her a legal pad, on which he has
    carefully drawn a picture of a car with a red balloon tied to the
    antenna. Roz stares, wondering if she's missing something.

Roz: Looks like a car with a balloon tied to it.
    Frasier: Precisely. I will tie a red balloon to the antenna of
    Bulldog's car every time his precious Seahawks-

He flips to the next page of the pad, showing what looks like a
    football strategy chart, the kind that a coach would draw on a
    locker room blackboard.

Frasier: -lose a game. Over time, the conditioned response will become
    ingrained in his psyche. Eventually, the mere sight of a red
    balloon-

Flip to the next page, featuring an enlarged picture of a red balloon.

Frasier: -will bring about in him an inexplicable sense...

Flip to the last page, showing a picture of Bulldog's face with tears
    streaming down it, attached to a thought bubble with a red balloon
    inside it.

Frasier: ...of loss. [drops the pad into his briefcase] Check-and-mate!
    Roz: [stares for a second, then:] Isn't that... kind of out there?
    Frasier: That's the point. Well, of course, I could go with any one of
    your basic pranks - hand in warm water, and whatnot - believe
    me, I have an intimate knowledge of all of them. But what I'm
    looking for is something unmistakably ME. A signature prank,
    if you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Dard23

Probably my favourite ever sitcom, I'm only 26 so it was the repeats that made me a fan. I'm just finishing the last season again on Netflix and I don't know where to turn next. Any suggestions? I have to say Niles is the best comedic actor, his physical comedy is brilliant. I think Frasier has the best lines however. The one where Martin finds the old statue and the boys think they are descended from Russian royalty has one of the funniest lines ever imo. Daphne is fetching something from the kitchen and Frasier referring to the servant who stole the statue says "someone's back is aching for the lash!" in his over dramatic way. Daphne thinks he is referring to her. It doesn't sound as funny now but if you've seen it you'll know what I mean. Also I love Bulldog , best character after Niles I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,967 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Hooping Cranes where Niles takes the half court shot at the basketball game is one of my fav tv eps of all time. S08E15 if you're looking.

Seattle might as well be Strasbourg, considering how well Frasier works in German:

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

Loved watching it on Sunday nights before school when I was young :D
    The first few seasons are great, like the next few after that, never gonna revisit season 8 onwards. Not sure what happened but 8 was like a different show altogether, was that after David Angell died on one of the 9/11 flights?

Cheers is better though, especially when you compare it to everything else that was on at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,493 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Frasier is my favourite sitcom. Old housemate of mine had bought the boxset, we had seen loads when living together during college. I was moving house so had to buy the set myself. When moved back in, two boxsets, side by side.

One of my favourite lines is the telescope line that was posted a page or so back. Think it's in the very first episode.

Other favourite moments, when Niles is having the panic attack so is wheezing like a maniac. Also, the bit where the 4 of them (Frasier, Niles, Martin, Daphne) are saying grace before dinner, Nile staring at Daphne, then Frasier opens his eyes slowly to see Niles adoring Daphne...the expression doesn't need words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,034 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think that along with Fawlty Towers, its the best written and funniest TV comedy ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

delboy85 wrote: »
    I love the episode where Frasier is having erotic dreams about Gil and he finds out, and there is a scene where Gil is standing outside Frasier's studio suggestively eating a chocolate eclair.

Gil: See you tomorrow Frasier, or should I say...see you in your dreams!

Unbelievable.

When Martin started going out with Sherri, a complete salt of the earth lady who would annoy Jesus Christ himself, Frasier and Niles' putdowns were absolutely top drawer:

Sherri: Well I was always told that laughter is the best medicine.
    Frasier: I guess we must be in the placebo group.

Another classic, where Frasier comforts Bulldog after he's dumped.

When Martin started going out with Sherri, a complete salt of the earth lady who would annoy Jesus Christ himself, Frasier and Niles' putdowns were absolutely top drawer:

Sherri: Well I was always told that laughter is the best medicine.
    Frasier: I guess we must be in the placebo group.

"I didn't know Mae West had a daughter."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Love the episode where Niles becomes a critic and Frasier is all jealous. This exchange is brilliant:

Dr. Niles Crane: If it's any consolation, I got fired from "The Monocle."
    Dr. Frasier Crane: Niles, I'm sorry.
    Dr. Niles Crane: I panned a wretched musical, not realizing the lead was the person who does Olga's hair.
    Dr. Frasier Crane: She fired you just to placate her hairdresser?
    Dr. Niles Crane: Electrolysist. And if you'd ever seen her in a sundress, you'd forgive her as I have.

'I've taken Maris to hundreds of these things, and she's never once asked to dance. Of course, Maris dislikes public displays of rhythm.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭serfboard

Big fan of Frasier.

My favourite quote is S1 E23 "Frasier Cranes Day Off". Niles is filling in for Fasier who has the flu. He starts the show with:
    I should warn you that while Frasier is a Freudian, I am a Jungian. So there'll be no blaming Mother today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

serfboard wrote: »
    Big fan of Frasier.

My favourite quote is S1 E23 "Frasier Cranes Day Off". Niles is filling in for Fasier who has the flu. He starts the show with:
    Yes, that's a favourite of mine too mostly because of how fantastically David Hyde Pierce delivers it.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭boosabum

don't know the episode specifics but a great Niles quote

"her lips said no, but her eyes said read my lips"

I use it myself...........

Its three dates and a break up apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭boosabum

thats it.
    Frasier has the three dates (all hotties too) and blew them all one by one.
    Kept referring to the three dates on his show.
    Class......he locked eddie in the bathroom for one date with the animal lover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

Season 2 - Episode 14 - Fool Me Once,Shame on You, Fool Me Twice....

After Niles is feeling nauseated after standing up to a beautiful woman.

Frasier: "There there Niles, soon you'll be home with Maris and you'll forget you were anywhere near a beautiful woman today"

cloud493 wrote: »
    Its three dates and a break up apparently.
    And speaking of Roz ...

I was wondering what Peri Gilpin was up to these days; then she popped up in CSI as the wife of DB Russell, who is played by Ted Danson, of all people ...

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Had its ups and downs, but overall was very watchable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Have the episodes on C4 recorded to watch whenever. Three of the last four episodes I've watched in my off time are genuine comedy classics: "Frasier's Imaginary Friend", "Gift Horse" and "Halloween".

Niles in particular gave a tour de force in "Halloween" in the typically brilliantly written confusion over Roz's pregnancy (and Roz was looking smashing in her costume :D). Frasier's "descent into madness" with his supermodel, zoologist girlfriend who left a Seahawks player to be with Frasier was gas. And Martin's reaction to seeing his old workhorse was touching.

It was a while since I last saw either episode and I forgot just how strong a show Frasier was at it's peak.

The one where Fraiser goes with Daphne to the british pub, and they have the darts match and he slags england off to the extent they run him out of the joint :D incredible, kelsey grammar is magnificent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement