Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Life Aquatic

Options
  • 02-03-2005 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭

Has anybody see this movie yet. I was thinking of going tomorrow night to see it but don't know if I'd like it. It has generally got good reviews and has a very high average rating on IMBD.

It looks like one of those films that you'll either love or hate, I hated The Royal Tennabaums so I'm sure if I'll like this.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I thought it was great but a few ignorant people left the cinema while it was on. It's a much more cerebral comedy than something like meet the fockers or its ilk. I found it was very like spinal tap with its pacing, dead pan humour and tacky documentary look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

I'm gonna see it in about 1hr. 20mins. in the UGC. I really enjoyed The Royal Tenenbaums so I'm excited about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭dsab

I saw it last week and found it incredible dull and boring. Wouldn`t recommend it at all.

Of all the people I saw it with (8) not one liked it. Some of the other viewers were not too impressed either.

Just didn`t do it for me, but thank god everyones taste is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

If you didn't like the Royal Tenenbaums I doubt you'll like it, same style and humour (Wes Anderson). I'm going to see it this week, really looking forward to it. Some people didn't like Royal Tenenbaums either and walked out during that one, but I absolutely love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I thought that it was quirky and wistful. There was some excellent humour but I did also feel that it dragged a bit. However, it is worth seeing. No doubt about it. It's very different to anything else out there.

However, if you did not like the Royal Tenenbaums, then this probably isn't for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,459 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I enjoyed it, but wasn't blown away. The story was pretty good, Bill Murray was his usual deadpan best, and the supporting cast was excellent. On the down side, there were patches where nothing interesting happened at all, and the humour was very intermittant. Go see it and make up your own mind....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

masterK wrote:
    Has anybody see this movie yet. I was thinking of going tomorrow night to see it but don't know if I'd like it. It has generally got good reviews and has a very high average rating on IMBD.

It looks like one of those films that you'll either love or hate, I hated The Royal Tennabaums so I'm sure if I'll like this.

Well if you hate Royal Tennabaums then you probablly won't like this.

Although I thought the Life Aquatic was a good deal better than the Royal Tennabuams, I certainly didn't hate Royal Tennanbaums... I just expected better from Wes Anderson after Rushmore, which is one of my favourite films.

I think the Life Aquatic is more on par with Bottle Rocket.

But I found The Life Aquatic to be an immensely enjoyable film. And it seemed to get a great responce from the audience in the cinema when I went to see it on Friday. But alot of the humour in it is very quirky and may not be to everyone's taste.

The guy who played Knockout Ned in City of God is in it. He spends the film singing Bowie songs in Brazilian in the background. Great stuff.

Oseary Drakoulias: You must swear, legally swear that you will not kill that shark, or whatever it is, if it exists.

Steve Zissou: I'll fight it, but I'll let it live... now what about my dynamite?

Oseary Drakoulias: [to assistant] Phillip, dynamite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

It was sweet. I really liked it but it's not for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I quite liked it, I liked the style of humour but I thought it could have done with a bit more on the humour side. I <3 Bill Murry and William Defoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,778 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Didn't like it myself.

Like i said a while back... i miss the Anderson that made 'Rushmore' and 'Bottle Rocket'!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Strange movie. Not bad. Although I have to agree, it needed more humour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

i loved it not as good as royal tenenbaums or his masterpiece rushmore but still excellent

his attention to detail when it comes his films is what does it like the posters zissous past films, the music, the stop motion animation

loved the way they just shot the scenes in the boat with the wall so you could see the actors walking from room to room

thought cate blanchett was quality

although i agree it could of done with a bit more humour and he think he missed owen wilson on the writing side of things for the humour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

dsab wrote:
    I saw it last week and found it incredible dull and boring. Wouldn`t recommend it at all.

pretty much my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

I found it pretty dull.
    I think that with every film, he's been trying to fill the screen with more and more esoteric, arcane bits and bobs and it's been getting in the way of his stories. The Life Aquatic just seems to be one little tricket too many.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Redegg

thought it moved a bit slowly at the begining, but it turned out to be quite good... bill dancing to the german techno music from his helmet. class. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Redegg wrote:
    bill dancing to the german techno music from his helmet. class.

thought that was deadly.

Wilem Dafoe was pure quality....i love the bit where hes in the jacuzzi and Steve and Ned storm past and he says "are you fighting" with a massive ten-year-old-boy smile on his face. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Stroller_burn

I loved how everyone on the crew got speedos. Wilem Dafoe was awesome as usual. Great movie, I'd recommend it to anyone who liked the Royal Tennabaums.

Loved it. Bill Murray was great (as usual), and particularly liked Willem Dafoe in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I agree with everything koneko said.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'll probably watch it, but my expectations won't be high. Rushmore was very good, but I wasn't amused by the Royal Tenebaums and I thought Bottle Rocket was atrocious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Milkman Dan

i'm dying to see this.
    i mean, i haven't looked forward to a film this much in ages.

i really like anderson's films, they're class.

seeing it tonight so i am.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Buttercup

If you liked royal tennubaums U'll like this
    me I didn't like either....
    Not my kind of movie
    but to each there own :D

I agree with everything koneko said.

Go me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Its very good. I really liked Royal Tannenbaums (masterpiece). If you like RT's then u'll like this. This is good but not up to the comic heights/quiryness of RT's.

"Do the Interns get glocks?"
    "No they all have to share one" :D LOL

Bill Murray -absolute class, Kate Blanchett and Owen Wilson (Brill) and William Dafoe seems to get a lot of the comic material. (+ Jeff Goldblum is quite good as well)
    It has a nice understated Humour about it very well shot. recommended
    (+ for Bowie fans GO SEE IT! :) the guy signing all teh Bowie songs in Portugese is worth admission alone -I'm getting the OST!)
    7.5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Have to say this is one really good film. Just my type of humour. I liked rushmore and the royal tennenbaums, so i knew id like this one...

Just everything about this film was really well thought out and a bit 'quirky' and odd. The zissou adidas were cool, the red hats etc etc. Gave it a very 70s type of vibe.

Bill Murray. Genius.
    Willem Defoe was excellent in this. I was never a big fan of Defoe until i saw 'boondock saints'. He was really good in that and was excellent in the life aquatic.

Bought the soundtrack today, just for the sole reason of the portugese bowie songs. Great soundtrack i have to say....

So far, film of 2005 for me anyway. Its going to be hard to beat..

/edit/ for typo

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Bought the soundtrack today, just for the sole reason of the portugese bowie songs. Great soundtrack i have to say....
    Apparently he made up the lyrics as he went along and they have very little bearing on the original lyrics. My girlfriend is Brazilian, so I'll find out once she has had a chance to see it...

I was dissapointed that the music that plays over
    the scene with the Jaguar Shark towards the end
    wasn't included on the soundtrack CD. I managed to track it down though, it's Staralfur by Sigur Ros.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

yeah im a big sigur ros fan, so i was delighted to see it included in the movie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I wouldn't necessarily agree that if you enjoyed Royal Tenebaums you'll enjoy this. Royal Tenebaums is Anderson's weakest movie if you ask me, lacking any real heart and with little real redemption for the central characters.

Life Aquatic is a welcome return to form in my opinion. Far more focused and funny than his last effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

I was dissapointed that the music that plays over
    the scene with the Jaguar Shark towards the end
    wasn't included on the soundtrack CD. I managed to track it down though, it's Staralfur by Sigur Ros.

oooh excellent!! thank you :D thats an excellent song.
    in case anyones interested, the film is going straight on criterion dvd on r1, with some cool extras.

• Advertisement
Advertisement