Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No internet but everything looks good

Options
  • 05-05-2015 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a sony vaio laptop here. It's showing connected wirelessly (I have also tried connecting using LAN cable). When I hover over the network icon in the taskbar it's showing my SSID and INTERNET ACCESS, when I go and look at the adapter details I can see traffic moving. The IP addresses, subnet mask and DNS all look good (set to automatic). I have compared the results in the details pane to a working machine and they match up (ip address range is good). I can't get anything on either chrome or IE. The hosts file does not look modified.

Laptop is running windows 7 ultimate (go figure!) I cant get the windows update service to start and the COA is worn off the bottom. Is there a fix I wonder or should I start looking into purchasing a copy of windows 7 (or 8) and go for a reinstall?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Hi,

I have a sony vaio laptop here. It's showing connected wirelessly (I have also tried connecting using LAN cable). When I hover over the network icon in the taskbar it's showing my SSID and INTERNET ACCESS, when I go and look at the adapter details I can see traffic moving. The IP addresses, subnet mask and DNS all look good (set to automatic). I have compared the results in the details pane to a working machine and they match up (ip address range is good). I can't get anything on either chrome or IE. The hosts file does not look modified.

Laptop is running windows 7 ultimate (go figure!) I cant get the windows update service to start and the COA is worn off the bottom. Is there a fix I wonder or should I start looking into purchasing a copy of windows 7 (or 8) and go for a reinstall?

Thanks

Try booting in Safe Mode with Networking and connect via cable

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

mordeith wrote: »
    Try booting in Safe Mode with Networking and connect via cable

When I try to boot to safe (F8) I get

windows 7/vista/server (pointer)
    windows 7/vista/server
    windows 7/vista/server (debug-pointer)
    windows 7/vista/server (debug)
    windows 7/vista/server (no slic - pointer)
    windows 7/vista/server (no slic)
    windows nt/2000/xp
    enter command line

I get the feeling that whatever cowboy had this before didn't pay a few hundred for his windows 7 ultimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

Safe yourself the mess and just get the legal Windows 10 ISO and install it :) (it's free for the first year and nobody knows if its longer than just one year)

Are we not still in preview with windows 10 atm. Which probably means that its going to need a re install at the end of july when it goes RTM. I'm sure microsoft would love to go on a subscription based OS, however, it's only free for windows 7 and windows 8 users. I'm not to sure if installing windows 10 on top of an already hacked version of ultimate 7 will count. At the moment I'm downloading some weird sony recovery torrent for a Vaio PCN . I'm hoping that it will be 1) windows 7 home premium and 2) the install won't ask me for any keys (which OEM doesn't usually. If that fails I can call a friend who has a vaio with her original install and see if her recovery discs will work. Did I mention I have to do this all in Hungarian?! Maybe I should just stick ubuntu on it and hand it back !

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Open a cmd as admin and type sfc /scannow hit enter,let the scan work away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Wow, this has been some pretty bad advice so far.

The OP has no internet, so basic internet troubleshooting would be called for before booting into safe mode, or running the filesystem checker.

OP,

Click start, type cmd and press enter. A black command prompt will open.

Type:

ping www.google.ie

and then press enter.

Take note of exactly what it says and type it here.

When it has finished, type another command:

ping 8.8.8.8

and again press enter. Again take note of exactly what it says and type it here.

Also, look at your broadband modem / router and make note of any lights which are flashing, and what colours they are.

syklops wrote: »

Also, look at your broadband modem / router and make note of any lights which are flashing, and what colours they are.

OP has already stated that another device is working so what is the point in checking router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

If your operating system is dodgy, to save yourself €100+, install the uBuntu OS.
    Ubuntu Download

Routers are fine. I have a dozen devices including this machine connected to my own and I also have the wpa key for the one in the apartment upstairs (where the laptop is from). That's working fine too.

System file checker showed no problems.

Ping (anywebsite) shows a popl up window
    Ping.exe bad image
    C:\windows\system32\ abengine64.dll is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support.

Inside the cmd shows Ping could not find host google.ie Please check the name and try again.

However, when I ping googles dns (8.8.8.8) I get replies (same popup window though)

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

abengine64.dll

Sounds like malware/crapware

• Advertisement

abengine64.dll

Sounds like malware/crapware

A quick google does suggest that possibility

A quick google does suggest that possibility

Agreed. I saw that on a Dell site. I am downloading 3 iso images of a Sony restore. If that works were laughing. If not I will see about getting a windows sticker from somewhere and doing a clean install from my own discs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

http://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/comments/2zmufy/hwindows_788181_noffice_20102013all_other/

Win7 Ultimate is €25 there if it comes to you needing a key OP. Iffy on how legit they are but MS offer full support on them, mines listed as a genuine product. Dev Keys

http://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/comments/2zmufy/hwindows_788181_noffice_20102013all_other/

Win7 Ultimate is €25 there if it comes to you needing a key OP. Iffy on how legit they are but MS offer full support on them, mines listed as a genuine product. Dev Keys

That's well handy to know. It's going to be a re install without a doubt. Even if I was to step through and start repairing and replacing system files, there's no sure way that it can be said that the virus is gone or any "doors" left open. I am going to let the recovery torrent finish and if it doesn't work out I will be looking for a key that I can give to the owner along with one of my discs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

OP has already stated that another device is working so what is the point in checking router?

Its troubleshooting 101. No connectivity, you do a ping check.

Ping (anywebsite) shows a popl up window
    Ping.exe bad image
    C:\windows\system32\ abengine64.dll is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support.

Inside the cmd shows Ping could not find host google.ie Please check the name and try again.

However, when I ping googles dns (8.8.8.8) I get replies (same popup window though)

Sounds like malware has hijacked the DNS settings.

ADWcleaner should remove it for you.

syklops wrote: »
    Its troubleshooting 101. No connectivity, you do a ping check.

Sounds like malware has hijacked the DNS settings.

ADWcleaner should remove it for you.

ADWcleaner fixed it. :eek: Genius!

Advertisement