Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD or Intel Pentium

Options
  • 11-12-2012 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Looking at getting a Samsung Series 3 laptop and have 2 options one with a AMD Dual Core processor and one with a Intel Pentium B970 processor. Both same price so which would be better??

Also Samsung Core i3 is 50 euro more - is it worth paying it for just general home use.

Not computer minded at all so just need some help outside of the sales assistants shop talk. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,893 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Which model AMD processor is it. AMD A-series CPUs have a nice onboard graphics chip but you still want to compare like to like. An A4 is a decent chip, but if you're talking about an E-series I think I'd rather take a chance on the pentium.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭PaddyJules

Not sure as it doesn't say on the leaflet they gave me but I can check tomorrow. What is your opinion on the Samsung laptops are they decent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

My vote would be for the i3, the AMD might pip it for gaming if thats your bag.

I think Samsung are pretty decent overall, I found this review, I think it should match for the chassis and the overall features, processor will vary ofc, if you get the model number you can be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Intel one I say be better than AMD depending on the type of AMD, if its a mobile one avoid it at all possible very slow processor compared to intel.

Samsung one be fairly good I say.

PaddyJules wrote: »
    Not sure as it doesn't say on the leaflet they gave me but I can check tomorrow. What is your opinion on the Samsung laptops are they decent enough.
    I have a fairly low opinion of the entry level in general, but, you could definitely do a lot worse than the Series 3. Lacks any specific flaw, its just plastic like the rest of them. The keyboard isn't bad and neither is the trackpad. It was pointed out to me they have a Matte screen though, which is good for bright conditions but glossy is better in most indoor situations. Not enough to qualify as a deal-breaker though (and some people consider it a plus).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭PaddyJules

It is a Samsung series 3 AMD A6 the shop confirmed today. So would this be better than the samsung series 3 Intel Pentium B970. They are also offering me the following for the same price - Lenovo Z580 core i3 processor 4gb.

My head is fried with all these figures so could someone just tell me which one to put the cash. Need to decided and get in the next few days, so please help. Thks

So the B970 is out, since the i3 is faster than it.

The A6 you mentioned is likely their 4th gen Dual Core A6 (probably the 4400M), and it is going to perform a bit better than an i3 in 3D applications and usually at least as well in multithread applications. Between 3rd gen and 4th gen AMD dropped 2 cores on the A6 so they can run it at higher clock speeds and under turbocore conditions can get above 3Ghz. I'd personally the AMD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Intel is to Boeing as AMD is to Airbus.

I prefer a Boeing any day. :D

Advertisement