Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving septic tank

Options
  • 28-04-2015 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I am up going to purchase a house at the moment. The septic talk is in the neighbours lane at the moment which0is not ideal. Does anyone have any experience of moving a septic tank so I could have it on my land? How much would this cost? Would I need planning permission? Would it be better to install a brand new bio cycle units altogether?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Brid0510 wrote: »
    I am up going to purchase a house at the moment. The septic talk is in the neighbours lane at the moment which0is not ideal. Does anyone have any experience of moving a septic tank so I could have it on my land? How much would this cost? Would I need planning permission? Would it be better to install a brand new bio cycle units altogether?

Defo need planning I reckon as if has to be a certain distance from the house, not near a water source etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

You should ask on the Construction and Planning forum, but you will need to provide a lot more detail as the guys on there do not suffer fools gladly (no offense). For example, how can your septic tank be in your neighbour's lane? Is he driving over it??

If you are installing a new tank you will need to follow Part H of the 2010 Building Regulations, but the experts on the Construction and Planning forum are better qualified than I to advise you on that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flood

JonathonS wrote: »
    but the experts on the Construction and Planning forum are better qualified than I to advise you on that.

What qualification is an expert on the Construction and Planning forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Flood wrote: »
    What qualification is an expert on the Construction and Planning forum?

Civil engineer maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I viewed a house recently in East Cork for sale with a similar situation.

Asked the estate agent where septic tank and well were, they didn't know! But luckily the owner lived next door and could show us. Now the septic tank was located across the lane, but it was on the property but the percolation area was in the neighbours field. So the site would need to be mapped out by engineer for land registry with access rights to the percolation area, for maintenance etc.

But if you wanted to install a new septic tank in a different location, you would require planning permission. And you would need enough space for it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭parkerpen

I viewed a house recently in East Cork for sale with a similar situation.

Asked the estate agent where septic tank and well were, they didn't know! But luckily the owner lived next door and could show us. Now the septic tank was located across the lane, but it was on the property but the percolation area was in the neighbours field. So the site would need to be mapped out by engineer for land registry with access rights to the percolation area, for maintenance etc.

But if you wanted to install a new septic tank in a different location, you would require planning permission. And you would need enough space for it too.

My cousin bought a house and it's just a pity he didn't have this great advice in advance as he is in a nightmare situation, given that the septic tank is not on his land!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

parkerpen wrote: »
    My cousin bought a house and it's just a pity he didn't have this great advice in advance as he is in a nightmare situation, given that the septic tank is not on his land!

Did he get an engineer to look at it before buying?

I hear you though, we couldn't believe it that the estate agent hadn't a clue where well/septic tank were and also there was asbestos on a small shed, which was the first problem I saw. It was for sale a year before also, so you think someone would have queried these things already, but then again most people would be neither concerned or aware of where these items are located.

I have to wonder about estate agents though, most of the time they don't know the product they are selling and I cant for the life of me understand why second hand houses are just left the way they were when the people in them died/moved on. No interest in making them look tidy at least!

It's nearly always our first question, where is septic tank/well. I grew up in a very rural location and would have been hands on with both services growing up but not everyone is.

But I would urge anyone buying a second hand property no matter what condition it is in to get someone who has a clue, either a builder/engineer/family member with experience to have a look also.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭parkerpen

Did he get an engineer to look at it before buying?

I hear you though, we couldn't believe it that the estate agent hadn't a clue where well/septic tank were and also there was asbestos on a small shed, which was the first problem I saw. It was for sale a year before also, so you think someone would have queried these things already, but then again most people would be neither concerned or aware of where these items are located.

I have to wonder about estate agents though, most of the time they don't know the product they are selling and I cant for the life of me understand why second hand houses are just left the way they were when the people in them died/moved on. No interest in making them look tidy at least!

It's nearly always our first question, where is septic tank/well. I grew up in a very rural location and would have been hands on with both services growing up but not everyone is.

But I would urge anyone buying a second hand property no matter what condition it is in to get someone who has a clue, either a builder/engineer/family member with experience to have a look also.
    I don't know any details of engineers or surveys beforehand. I just heard about the fallout afterwards. Good advice from you though.

Advertisement