Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deleted a program...now to Internet access

Options
  • 08-05-2015 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, wondering if any of ye can help??? We have Windows XP. My son was trying to free up space rolleyes.gif and deleted a program by mistake and we now have no internet access on the desktop. WIFI is fine on all other devices. He thinks he may have deleted a program call "Bonjour" which supports ITunes but he must have deleted something else also. I tried system restore but can only go back 1 day icon_lolno.gif ///// anyone help???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

Wifi driver might have been uninstalled, to check, open device manager and see if there are ant question marks or exclamation marks beside any devices.

If you find one try right clicking on it and select either update driver or roll back driver. If the files are still somewhere on the system, this should sort it.

1. Click on Start and then Control Panel.
    2. Click on the Performance and Maintenance link.
      Note: If you're viewing the Classic View of Control Panel, you won't see this link. Simple double-click on the System icon and proceed to Step 4.
    3. In the Performance and Maintenance window, click on the System icon near the bottom of the window.
    4. In the System Properties window, click on the Hardware tab.
    5. With the Hardware tab selected, click on the Device Manager button.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

Perfect thank you. Am in work at the minute and I will have a look. If it is uninstalled, how do I re-install? thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Perfect thank you. Am in work at the minute and I will have a look. If it is uninstalled, how do I re-install? thanks a mill

Just to confirm that the desktop connects via WiFi?

It does moredith....thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Have you restarted it yet? Sometimes the drivers are reinstalled automatically.

If you have, and its still not working, what's the model of your PC? You'll need to download the network/wifi driver, pop it on a USB, and install it on your PC.

• Advertisement

I did restart it last night but no joy:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

If you can't connect with a cable you will need to identify the wifi device from device manager/pcidatabase.com and search for the driver and install from USB stick etc.

You do know XP is not safe to use online for over a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I did restart it last night but no joy:mad:

No worries. When you get home, do the following:

Start > Run > Type: msinfo32

Let us know the full name/model of the computer, and we'll link you to a download for the driver.

Download that driver onto a USB, using another computer. Then just run the Setup.exe on your PC, and all should be well afterwards.

Advertisement