Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terrible news regarding Arrested Development

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Just as I was getting into it, Series one was funny in Places, but Series 2 has me in bits. I love visual humour.... like the Episode where the mother spills martini on the kitchen floor, Tobais walks in an falls in a really obvious way!!!! Love it!

John

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Very sad news...!

And i prefer season 2 to season 1 also, Lump!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭castagnoli

Thanks for ruining my day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Boo-yah

I prefer season 1 to 2 myself. I can't think of one episode in season 1 that isn't pure brilliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Article including Jason Bateman here.
    Reached on his cell phone while filming a movie in Toronto, star Jason Bateman said he had mixed emotions about the news, saying he was sad for the series to end but happy that the beloved series will live on DVD for people to enjoy.

"I'm so proud of it and so like it as a TV fan that I'm happy we're not going to get a chance to screw it up," he said, in the deadpan style of his character, Michael Bluth, about the only sane member of the dysfunctional Bluth clan. "Our luck wouldn't have held. There would have been cast fighting. We would have messed it up."
    Yes, he is joking here but in truth he is correct. AD could not have sustained the incredibly high standard that it had set for itself forever. Even though I really enjoyed Season 3 and am still as devoted to the show as ever, comparing those 13 episodes in one block to the first 13 episodes of Seasons 1 and 2 shows that the Season 3 episodes were the weakest in such a comparison (I won't compare Seasons 1 or 2 in its entirety to Season 3 as that is grossly unfair). Us AD fans are a finiky bunch and it is questionable if Season 4 would have been welcomed by all if a decline in quality, even a slight decline, was noticeable. Mitch loves this show and he most certainly would have taken this decision extremely seriously. However, he felt that he had gone as far with the show as he could have done. He didn't want it to go out with a whimper and for that I applaud him.

I will forever bear a (non-serious) grudge against him because he has ruined TV comedy for me. I knew most of it was crap before, but AD really showed me the light. My hopes are now pinned on Scrubs (even in a comparitively weak fifth season, is still better than an awful lot of the tripe that passes for "comedy") and "My Name is Earl". I hear that show is pretty enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Couldn't you have posted this on Saturday and then I could have disbelieved you?

This is awful, but unsurprising news. *Sigh* Just as I read an article in the Sunday Times a few days ago about shows being alive on DVD and specifically mentioning "Arrested Development".

Oh well, if nothing else "Joey" is being cancelled too. But there's nothing out there on a par with what we've lost.. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Boo-yah

ixoy wrote:
    But there's nothing out there on a par with what we've lost.. :(

Damn straight. I hold it in the same regard as classic Simpsons and The Office(uk). There's nothing on t.v. now that's close to matching it.

Advertisement