Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is being a garda like?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭JonathanP

I didnt fail technically but i dont know how long i will be waiting until i get called for stage 2. I kind of committed to getting into the gards once i finished my undergraduate and did a masters in criminal justice to get through the year. When i ended up in band 2 that kind of destroyed my plans. I could be waiting about 2 or 3 years. At the moment im not too sure about what im going to do with myself. Im considering going and doing a social work quailification but i really truly dont know what to do next. My hands are tied when i go in as a garda reserve as i want to take the next step in my career.

You Should do what you need to whether working in a shop or doing another course but sit tight im in the same boat as you.. i have one year left in my degree and then aim to do the bar... jus dont sit on your hands i can garuntee if we get there to the interview eventually and be able to show that we didnt sit back and do nothing, that we took the bull by the horns and kept going it will work wonders in the interview..... i know how you feel all i want is to be a member of ags but maybe the experience we gain waiting is the experience that will see us walk through the getes in templemore

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Flynners89

Hi just another. Quick question for any serving members or anyone with knowledge. In relation to where one might be stationed after leaving Templemore, are there any allowances made for those with family's, kids etc? I heard rumours of a welfare office of welfare form to fill out. Is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭kjbsrah1

Flynners89 wrote: »
    Hi just another. Quick question for any serving members or anyone with knowledge. In relation to where one might be stationed after leaving Templemore, are there any allowances made for those with family's, kids etc? I heard rumours of a welfare office of welfare form to fill out. Is this true?

There is an opportunity to put forth your case, but in reality the bottom line is that you joined on the understanding that you can be based anywhere within the 26 counties depending on the needs of the force, and that is more often than not what you will be told. However, people have always been able to apply for special consideration. I know from friends that having a house built in a certain part of the country is not acceptable grounds, but others on here may be able to tell you their personal experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

JonathanP wrote: »
    You Should do what you need to whether working in a shop or doing another course but sit tight im in the same boat as you.. i have one year left in my degree and then aim to do the bar... jus dont sit on your hands i can garuntee if we get there to the interview eventually and be able to show that we didnt sit back and do nothing, that we took the bull by the horns and kept going it will work wonders in the interview..... i know how you feel all i want is to be a member of ags but maybe the experience we gain waiting is the experience that will see us walk through the getes in templemore

People before us and after us in this campaign know they have failed and are gone, while we are left in limbo???

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭kjbsrah1

mycro89 wrote: »
    People before us and after us in this campaign know they have failed and are gone, while we are left in limbo???

There is a whole other thread about waiting to get into the college etc. You might find better answers there... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057264951&page=56

• Advertisement

mycro89 wrote: »

Well Just have to deal with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭wannabegard

guys lets stop this conversation about band 2 or 3 or what ever. We are bombarding this girl who wants to find out about the garda life. I know its my fault for mentioning it in the first place. Lets keep this conversation in the band 2 forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭wannabegard

guys lets stop this conversation about band 2 or 3 or what ever. We are bombarding this girl who wants to find out about the garda life. I know its my fault for mentioning it in the first place. Lets keep this conversation in the band 2 forum.

guys lets stop this conversation about band 2 or 3 or what ever. We are bombarding this girl who wants to find out about the garda life. I know its my fault for mentioning it in the first place. Lets keep this conversation in the band 2 forum

Ur Right dude....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

What's the difference between Class A and Class B on the pay scales? I can't find the definition. NVm, *facepalm* But....

Also, how does having a Degree affect remuneration?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

A degree bumps you up three points on the salary scale after your probation ends. A good leaving cert bumps you up another one.

Asking what the job is like is hard to answer. Many aspects depend on where you are stationed. Some stations have a great atmosphere and some are toxic. Some line managers are amazing and help you do a great job, some are worse than your worst teacher ever was and treat you like a bold child who they need to keep in line. Some areas you work will be busy, some will not. Some will be monotonous, some will not. Some will be dangerous, some will not. The group dynamic you will be in can be very varied. You might be on a unit of people who don't talk much outside of work or you may be in a group of people who will be great friends.

There are some universal truths though. You need a thick skin. You will be abused and you will see bad things. You will need to have a way to deal with these things without letting them affect your job. You also need to be able to rely on others and be reliable. You need to be ready for a lot of pointless and frustrating bureaucracy. You need to be prepared for the fact that you won't always win in court. Judges let people off for the stupidest reasons and there's nothing you can do about it. The justice system is broken and it will depress you. You will not get recognition for your good deeds. You may lose some of your old friends either because of your choice of career or because of the demands of the job.

On the plus side, you can make a positive difference in peoples lives, even save them, and you can make the country a safer place. You will see some strange and amusing things and see more of the world around you than most others ever will. You will make some great new friends and meet interesting people from all walks of life.

On balance though, I don't think the current salary is sufficient for the demands of the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

A degree bumps you up three points on the salary scale after your probation ends. A good leaving cert bumps you up another one.

Asking what the job is like is hard to answer. Many aspects depend on where you are stationed. Some stations have a great atmosphere and some are toxic. Some line managers are amazing and help you do a great job, some are worse than your worst teacher ever was and treat you like a bold child who they need to keep in line. Some areas you work will be busy, some will not. Some will be monotonous, some will not. Some will be dangerous, some will not. The group dynamic you will be in can be very varied. You might be on a unit of people who don't talk much outside of work or you may be in a group of people who will be great friends.

There are some universal truths though. You need a thick skin. You will be abused and you will see bad things. You will need to have a way to deal with these things without letting them affect your job. You also need to be able to rely on others and be reliable. You need to be ready for a lot of pointless and frustrating bureaucracy. You need to be prepared for the fact that you won't always win in court. Judges let people off for the stupidest reasons and there's nothing you can do about it. The justice system is broken and it will depress you. You will not get recognition for your good deeds. You may lose some of your old friends either because of your choice of career or because of the demands of the job.

On the plus side, you can make a positive difference in peoples lives, even save them, and you can make the country a safer place. You will see some strange and amusing things and see more of the world around you than most others ever will. You will make some great new friends and meet interesting people from all walks of life.

On balance though, I don't think the current salary is sufficient for the demands of the job.
    Thank you, it's rare anyone is as informative about a job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

A great and accurate summary alright. But perhaps mention should be made of the career dossers who get away with doing nothing themselves and are also very adept at pawning off work they should be doing to other mostly junior members.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

undercover is great

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭whoahya

braddun wrote: »
    undercover is great

do you know that from experience? : )

Advertisement