Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's in your emergency storecuboard?

Options
  • 06-12-2014 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Just in case of another crazy winter and being unable to leave the house, I bought a small stock of foods to keep under the stairs, like emergency rations. I plan to add a little more to it every week. Anyone do the same?

In case of heavy snow/frozen-in:
    - Half dozen Knorr Pastaria Carbonara
    - Gourmet cuppa soups
    - Brown pan in deep freeze
    - Tinned tuna
    - Heinz sandwich filler (in glass jar)
    - Many Koka noodles
    - Frozen pizza
    - Jar of coffee
    - Breakfast bars
    - Those tiny .55 cent glass jars of salmon pate from Tesco that are just DIVINE and might not even last until the weekend

In case of power outage/no cooker:
    - Tins Ambrosia rice
    - Tins meatballs in tomato sauce (yummy when cold!)
    - Tins Heinz spag bol, spag & sausage, mac & cheese
    - Large sachet Erin Soupfulls

And two x 5 litre bottles of water, in case the pipes freeze or something!

What else would people recommend? Obviously things like toilet rolls are stocked up on anyway, but other recommendations food-wise? I'm thinking of jam (use it with bread and/or rice) and a larger selection of 'eat without heat' food?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

Pickles
    Tomato concentrate
    Marrowfat peas (dried)
    Lentils, Beans, Rice, Bulghur, Cous-Cous , etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

To add to what you already have:
    Tin (or two) of powdered milk. Could be very handy!!!
    A few of the Odlum's pre-mixed bread packs that you mix with water and stick in the oven.
    Frozen veg.
    Breakfast cereal(s).
    Tea bags, if you use them.
    Small amount of biscuits/chocolate/your preferred treat foods, because why not :)
    Things your kids (if you have any) will eat.

non-food items:
    non-scented candles, and matches. Also candle holders to fit the candles you have bought :)
    Lightbulbs, for each type and wattage of lightbulb that you have.
    Batteries - to fit your smoke alarm, torches, any kids toys/games/radio/household things that might need them if there's a power cut.

Also, don't forget an emergency bag of provisions for your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

I admit I sniggered at the thread title but there is actually some useful ideas here.

Thanks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

beer

roses chocolates

store brand crisps

20 bottles of wine

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭unjedilike

Cereal and milk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

A bug out bag. That's what I have in my emergency cupboard. A bug out back. Ima go looting also as soon as society breaks down

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭markmacken

Yes, I keep supplies in the event of an "emergency". And build it up over time.

Everything I add below doesn't require refrigeration (once it is eaten in 3-5 days after being opened):

- pickled eggs
    - pickled frankfurters
    - pickled beetroot
    - pickled herring
    - canned soup (my favourites are mushroom and chicken)
    - canned chickpeas
    - canned kidney beans
    - canned butter beans
    - canned sardines
    - canned tomatoes
    - canned butter beans
    - tuna paste
    - powdered malt drink (such as Horlicks - high in vitamin content)
    - selection of pasta shapes
    - selection of jarred pasta sauces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

What is "brown pan in deep freeze"?

My poor addled brain can't figure this out. Is it a pre-used bedpan?

We live in the city, so I don't think we would ever be too cut off, but I've got a pantry... So there are lentils, rice, pasta, noodles, flour, dry yeast. Tinned chickpeas, lentils, tomatoes. Jars of homemade things like chutney and jam.

And a garden stuffed with edibles. Onions, spuds, beetroot, nuts, fruit and plenty of herbs.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

pwurple wrote: »

I thought it was a dirty saucepan, reckon it's a loaf of brown bread?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

• Advertisement

We live in the city, so I don't think we would ever be too cut off, but I've got a pantry... So there are lentils, rice, pasta, noodles, flour, dry yeast. Tinned chickpeas, lentils, tomatoes. Jars of homemade things like chutney and jam.

And a garden stuffed with edibles. Onions, spuds, beetroot, nuts, fruit and plenty of herbs.

Lol! Freezing bread is a great idea though. Just as with fish and vegetables, it come out very fresh when you de-frost it. I'm anticipating a scenario where there will be no electricity though, and even our gardens may be poisoned or otherwise useless. Hence my preference for jars and cans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

markmacken wrote: »
    Lol! Freezing bread is a great idea though. Just as with fish and vegetables, it come out very fresh when you de-frost it. I'm anticipating a scenario where there will be no electricity though, and even our gardens may be poisoned or otherwise useless. Hence my preference for jars and cans.

Ah, and ya see, I find jars and cans can be awkward to get into, in an emergency.

What you need (and I'll have one too please!) is a lovely little wood-fired oven for all our bread-baking, pizza making in a holocaust, needs. :)
    rado05.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Nobody has water stored in bottles? Your pipe freezes, there's a rupture locally, you get a 'boil water' notice for Cryptosporidium. Very easy to loose the most basic necessity.

Consider also the shelf life of any goods you have "squirrelled away". Honey, for example, will last indefinitely. Rice - 10 years. Canned or dried beans - 10 years. Powered milk - indefinite. Ramen noodles - 10 years.

For other stuff, just make sure you rotate it into your normal ingredients list to stop it going bad and replace as required.

Also think about hygiene products like toilet paper, toothpaste and soap.

A good guide here from people who have experience of these things

http://www.fema.gov/pdf/library/f&web.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'll just trade all the booze I have in the house on the black market. I'll have all the food I'll want!

Ah, and ya see, I find jars and cans can be awkward to get into, in an emergency.

What you need (and I'll have one too please!) is a lovely little wood-fired oven for all our bread-baking, pizza making in a holocaust, needs. :)

I only buy cans with ring-pulls on them, for that very reason :-)

P.S. I was just wondering what the difference is between "cans" and "tins". From a little googling it appears that the terms are fairly interchangeable? Btw, this is not just a question for you pwurple, but more of a general query...

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Nobody has water stored in bottles? Your pipe freezes, there's a rupture locally, you get a 'boil water' notice for Cryptosporidium. Very easy to loose the most basic necessity.

Consider also the shelf life of any goods you have "squirrelled away". Honey, for example, will last indefinitely. Rice - 10 years. Canned or dried beans - 10 years. Powered milk - indefinite. Ramen noodles - 10 years.

Interesting stuff. Do you have any idea how long bottled water stays good for?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Interesting stuff. Do you have any idea how long bottled water stays good for?

Glass bottles would, imo, last indefinitely.
    Plastic would last well past the best before date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

A Remington 11-87 Sportsman, a Velocity Swarm crossbow & a machete...I'm prepped for the zombie apocalypse & hunting my own food.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Enough whiskey to pickle my corpse in...

Beyond that, from buying in places like Eurasia that I go to irregularly and hence buying lots I generally have enough stock of rice, pulses, pasta, tinned tomatoes, soups etc to last for a good week or two minimum; and my hob is tank gas so I could live fairly safely (but vegan) for a bit.

If there's still power I usually have a few kg of mince and a load of chicken breasts frozen as I buy that in relative bulk. If there's no water I've bigger problems...

All in if I suddenly found myself broke there's probably enough stuff in the house to last a month on just a tenner of fresh veg a week!

Glass bottles would, imo, last indefinitely.
    Plastic would last well past the best before date.

Oh I forgot that bottled water has a best before date. It's rare that you see for sale in glass bottles. A friend was lamenting that fact to me only last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭qt3.14

Storage of the water is the most important thing. Ideally it should be kept cool, dark and away from solvents, detergents, petrol etc, ie not under the sink or beside the lawnmower in the shed!
    You could always throw in some purification kits if it's a worry but ironically they have a use by date too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 olivepeach

We have loads of tinned and frozen food in. Always keep in this time of year extra:

soups
    beans
    rice pudding
    frozen milk
    frozen HM spuds (roasts and mash)
    pasta
    rice
    bread or flour for BM

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

P.S. I was just wondering what the difference is between "cans" and "tins"..
    None I know of, just that they were often made from tin, like how aluminium foil is still called tinfoil here.

My father calls beer cans "tins".

Advertisement