Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A vote for Labour is a vote for Abortion - Iona Institute

12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    Adulthood only exists because of childhood. Does that give children all the rights of adults?

It shows you can't disregard certain life because it is at a different stage of development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Jackovarian

Labour - Abortion...

Kind of opposites I would imagine :D

Sharrow wrote: »
    Like the Magdalene laundries?

No. Women with unplanned pregnacies should be supported wherever they are presently - though if they need to get out of there (e.g., an abusive home), they should be given a safe place to stay. If that means bed and board, fine. As long as it's a world apart from the Magdalene laundries.

Sharrow wrote: »
    Medically and Legally they do not cause an abortion as a woman is not considered to be pregnant until the zygote as implanted. What ever your spiritual/religious personal beliefs are that is the medical and legal stance in this country.

When the zygote implants then it causes changes to the woman's physiology (specifically the generation of the HGC hormone) and then she is pregnant. Many women ovulate and conception occurs and the body rejects the zygote and those women are not at any stage considered to be pregnant.

You are wrong medically and legally to be referring to the oral contraceptive pill, the morning after pill, the IUS, implannon, contraceptive patch, contraceptive injection and the nuvaring as abortifacients when they are not.

As it stands a woman only miscarries up until 22 weeks, it is only after that it is considered a still birth and a birth and death cert issued and a woman can then go on maternity leave. So it is not the loss of a human being recognised by the state until 22 weeks of pregnancy.

Thank you for writing. I still do find it very odd that pregnancy is medically defined as commencing when implantation occurs when a new life has already come into being days earlier. Not only a new life, but an entire blueprint for the baby's sex, skin/hair/eye colour, fingerprints... My faith aside, it just doesn't make sense to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

A seed is not a tree.
    No. Women with unplanned pregnacies should be supported wherever they are presently - though if they need to get out of there (e.g., an abusive home), they should be given a safe place to stay. If that means bed and board, fine. As long as it's a world apart from the Magdalene laundries.

And what if they do not wish to endure the rigours of pregnancy?
    What if they develop a life threatening condition like pre clampoisa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Why all the fuss? Anyone would think that Labour were going to sanction mandatory terminations.

Termination is a necessary service for those who may need it. No one goes through it if they can avoid it. Research shows that it is psychologically damaging and can be painful too.

In the 'X' case, that poor child was put through undeniable horror by the state and press. Had her mother been brighter and more considerate of her daughters mental state and dignity, she would have taken her daughter to England, had the procedure done and allowed the little girl to recover and get on with the rest of her life without anyone knowing about it. Instead, she let the catholic church intervene.

I hope to never have the decision to make, but I know that if I had a young daughter or niece who needed help, I would encourage them to terminate and get on with their studies and careers before choosing to have a child at the right time. If Labour make it easier for a young girl to get herself out of trouble, so be it.

What do you want to do next? Ban the morning after pill perhaps?

AS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭MalteseBarry

I suppose the really interesting observation is why anyone should be interested in anything these people at the grand sound "Iona Institute" have to say about anything. Yet, in here, it has already led to over 400 posts.

The best response to these sorts of people is to simply ignore them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,173 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

labour doing well, could be a FG Labour government....wahay abortions for all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

labour doing well, could be a FG Labour government....wahay abortions for all!

Wow classy....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

theg81der wrote: »
    Wow classy....

Yep - far better than the Free cheese, you have to admit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Wow classy....

Whoosh!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

I`m sorry I had to check the top there for a minute...must be something worng with my netbook says this is GE not AH must be some mistake :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I`m sorry I had to check the top there for a minute...must be something worng with my netbook says this is GE not AH must be some mistake :p

:D

Sense of humour is an option in Politics!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement