Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to reinstall mac

Options
  • 13-09-2014 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

hi gang,

I'm running a macbook pro on 10.9.4.

I've noticed it's running a bit slow lately, so iv decided i wanna completely reformat, and reinstall..

i have no idea how to do this, and i don't even have reinstall discs.

I have an external hard drive if that helps.

Just wondering where to start, any help would be great.

thanks,
    ed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Partition your external drive using disk utility and keep about 2gb for OS X installer. Then, Google 'Mavericks install usb' and put it onto the smaller of your partitions. Backup manually all the stuff that's really important - photos, music, documents - and also do a Time Machine backup of your entire system.

Then, restart your computer, hold option key to bring up boot up options and choose the OSX restore option. Open disk utility and wipe the internal Mac HD and then install new OS.

Total time: a few hours. It's not that hard but just remember to backup, backup, backup.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Zcott wrote: »
    Partition your external drive using disk utility and keep about 2gb for OS X installer. Then, Google 'Mavericks install usb' and put it onto the smaller of your partitions. Backup manually all the stuff that's really important - photos, music, documents - and also do a Time Machine backup of your entire system.

Then, restart your computer, hold option key to bring up boot up options and choose the OSX restore option. Open disk utility and wipe the internal Mac HD and then install new OS.

Total time: a few hours. It's not that hard but just remember to backup, backup, backup.

Jeez, it'll take days to back up 3 times......:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

You can never have too many backups!

Advertisement