Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sportswriters needed for UCC Express in the coming year

• 26-08-2008 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Alright people,

We'll be looking to assemble a new team to cover UCC's various sports clubs over the coming year. As always, graduations have taken their toll and we'll pretty much be looking to build from scratch.

Soccer is the one sport that is already covered, but if that's your field of interest there's no need to worry, as we will surely need people to cover games at times to help lighten the editorial load.

Obviously, we'll be looking to cover all areas... GAA, Rugby, Basketball, Athletics, Hockey, Boxing... you name it.

Our paper secured an impressive 17 nominations in this year's student media awards, so it's a great opportunity for anybody with an interest in sports or journalism. We'll also be looking to find people to work in other areas of the paper, so feel free to let me know if there's any area at all that interests you.

You can obviously PM me on here, or email me at expresssport@student.ucc.ie .

Even if you're not in UCC but know somebody who is, spread the word.

Cheers,

Express Sport.

http://www.ucc.ie/en/SIN/suexpress/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

will ye be looking for photographers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 UCC Sport

deRanged wrote: »
    will ye be looking for photographers?

We sure will, deRanged.

Not just for Sports, but for other areas of the paper also.

By all means put your name forward.

http://www.ucc.ie/en/SIN/suexpress/

Thanks to all who have expressed an interest so far.

I'd like to correct the email address included in the initial post, it should read expresssport@student.ucc.ie .

For anyone interested in getting involved in the newspaper in any capacity, please drop us a mail on the above address.

I also understand that the JournoSoc's magazine, Motley, is looking for contributors. I don't have their contact email at hand right now (will post it up in due course), but I'd be more than happy to pass on any applications.

At this stage we could really do with someone to cover hockey. Address, as before, is expresssport@student.ucc.ie . If that's not your area though, don't let that put you off. The more the merrier.

Hi again, just a final hello on Freshers week. I hope you're all settling in well.

We'll be holding a stand all day during Socs day in the Aras na mac leinn/student centre on Wednesday.

The first edition of the paper will be available that day also.

Leaving aide my own narrow area of sports, we are looking for people in all areas of the paper. Please, feel free to visit us at the stand, or email me expresssport@student.ucc.ie . I'll pass details onto the editors of the main section, or have a chat to those of you interested in sports. We welcome regular and intermittent contributors alike.

There's a high turnover of ex-Express writers into the national media; for those of you looking to pursue such a career route, it's a boon. For the rest of you, it's a great way to sharpen your writing skills, and a great addtion to your CV.

I can only speak for myself (well okay , some others too of course) but it's great experience, and great craic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

wat is the link, when I click it, it comes up as the page is missing,

Can anyone just submit pieces from events they are at?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Xiangjiao

wat is the link, when I click it, it comes up as the page is missing,

Can anyone just submit pieces from events they are at?

Apologies, it must be down. To be fair, it wasn't much of a site anyway. :)

Here's an updated link: http://www.ucc.ie/en/SIN/media/express/

Anyway, for your question, it all depends. If it's a piece to promote a particular club, we generally prefer our writers to go off and do it- we're more than happy to collaborate with the clubs on these pieces, of course. So far this year, we've had focus pieces on the Rowing, Men's Hockey, Boxing clubs, etc.

For other pieces, we're more than happy accept submissions.

Send me a mail at the Express Sport address (see first post on this thread) and I'd be delighted to discuss it further with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 AlihandroHayes

Hey all,

Hope everyone is happy with their results, be they college or Leaving Cert! Bumping this thread as I'm the Sports Editor of the UCC Express this year and we will again be recruiting some new writers for sport and indeed all sections of the paper. Writing for the Express is hugely benificial to anyone looking to pursue a career in journalism/media or just anybody with an interest in writing.

If you wish to apply or have any questions at all, don't hesitate to get in touch. You can pm me here or preferably e-mail me at expresssport@student.ucc.ie

I look forward to hearing from anyone who's interested.

Dean Hayes.

Congratulations Alinandro Hayes, I'll have to turn this account over to to you!

Advertisement