Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts Advice please! :D

Options
  • 12-08-2009 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi everybody!

Just got my results today, 500! SO CHUFFED! Haha, anyway.

I'm going to be doing arts next year in UCC. I initially intended to do;
    French,
    History,
    Politics,
    English.

However I have heard this will be a VERY heavy workload. Any advice on subject choices?

Thanks very much!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

ilikepie wrote: »
    Hi everybody!

Just got my results today, 500! SO CHUFFED! Haha, anyway.

French,
    History,
    Politics,
    English.

However I have heard this will be a VERY heavy workload. Any advice on subject choices?

Thanks very much!

Hello ilikepie. Well done on your good result. There are numerous threads on arts in UCC here. They should be of some use to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Just got my results today, 500! SO CHUFFED! Haha, anyway

Congratulations.
    French,

Imo French is very difficult and requires a good bit of work and focus. Just as a matter of interest, what level did you do French in the Leaving Cert? A Higher level would help you. You'd also have to really like the subject - an essential element I think. The course is broken down into written, oral & aural work - you'll be tested on all these through continous assessment (CA) and you'll get a Summer exam too.
    History

Again, a bit of work will be required in this. You don't need to have done this in Leaving Cert to do it. The course can be quite regimented in 1st year but in 2nd year onwards you gain more of a choice. 1st year is split with Irish and modern History.
    Politics

Done this last year and really liked it. The course is broken into 3 aspects - Irish politics, International politics and political philosophy. Continous assessment and a Summer exam make up the marks. The course workload isn't too heavy and you can be a relative newcomer to Politics and still get on quite well.
    English

English in 1st year's pretty broad. Drama, Poetry, Language, Film Studies etc. are all covered. The workload is pretty heavy I thought. I done more than 5 or so essays throughout the year but it's pretty do-able. The main thing for all these subjects is to get stuck in and focus.
    Any advice on subject choices?

Make sure you put your most wanted subjects as 1 and 2. If you put English below these then you won't get it as there's such a demand for the subject. If you wanted, say, English and History more than anything, throw them down as 1 and 2 etc.

Like Furet said, take a look around the UCC forum, there's a lot of stuff about Arts that's informative. Also take a look around www.ucc.ie and the subjects departments; what I've given you is only the briefest of detail. Have a look for yourself.

Any more questions, just shoot. :)

Advertisement