Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest broadband and tv

Options
  • 27-08-2012 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm moving into a new house and am looking to set up broadband and tv. I have no need for a landline phone. I'm wondering what people think is the most cost effective way to do this is, to receive the best coverage and service etc. I know that UPC do bundles for tv and broadband for about €67 montly or would I be better off installing an aerial and getting a saorview box and looking for internet separately? I am not fussy with tv channels, I just need the basics like rte and bbc to keep me going!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If you subscribe to UPCs broadband alone then you will almost certainly get the 18 analogue channels with that. This means you plug the cable directly into the RF port on the TV and tune in the channels manually. You will get a basic selection; mostly Irish and UK terrestrial channels with a small handful of other channels like Sky News also.

Taking out broadband without TV with UPC will incur an extra charge of €7.75 a month to cover this.

You could also install a free to air TV system along with this to boost the number of channels that you recieve. Would mean a one off cost for the equipment and installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭zg3409

You can get the main Irish and UK channels for free with an aerial and a dish. No monthly payments.

For the most basic internet via a phone line Eircom is always going to be more expensive than anyone else. Most other providers re-sell Eircoms system.

http://www.callcosts.ie and select broadband - headline speed don't mind - then accept, then filter by county.

You will see mobile phone (or dongle) based broadband is cheapest. You get what you pay for.

djimi wrote: »
    If you subscribe to UPCs broadband alone then you will almost certainly get the 18 analogue channels with that.

Unless you live in Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Why? I got excited there for a moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Cork was a different system originally to the rest of the country and I dont believe that the old analogue service is still available.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

UPC sweet talked me into getting the tv on top of the broadband after years of me saying no, my 12 month contract is up now so I'd love if I could scrap paying for the tv but still have 18 channels , it's only about 20 euro per month but it annoys me to have to pay for RTE twice. You win some and lose some I guess.

UPC sweet talked me into getting the tv on top of the broadband after years of me saying no, my 12 month contract is up now so I'd love if I could scrap paying for the tv but still have 18 channels , it's only about 20 euro per month but it annoys me to have to pay for RTE twice. You win some and lose some I guess.

If you get UPC "digital value" you get the very basic grey non recording box. This actually works out cheaper than "basic analogue" where available. You cannot purchase "digital value" through their website but you can over the phone.

You could get RTE and BBC for free via other means. If you get broadband and phone you don't pay the extra charge for not having a TV service. BB and phone is sometimes cheaper or the exact same as broadband alone so get the phone but never use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Haithabu

djimi wrote: »
    If you subscribe to UPCs broadband alone then you will almost certainly get the 18 analogue channels with that.

I heard this a few times and wonder how it works. Situation here is : I moved into a new place and like to get TV and broadband. As for TV, I do only need the basic (like RTE1, RTE2, if possible BBC1 and 2 as well etc)

I tried Saorview but I am not allowed to install an antenna or dish on the balcony and the indoor antenna does not work well enough for me.

There is a UPC box in the flat so I assume it is easy to activate it but the smallest TV offer is 50 channels which reflects in the price. A few people mentioned that there will be analogue channels with UPC broadband. Is that confirmed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,498 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

In Dublin the UPC analogue channels are carried for the time begin on the same cable as broadband, they are unencrypted and can be tuned in on any TV.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88414136&postcount=15

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Haithabu

Excellent, thanks a lot for the fast reply. I'll call UPC the morrow then to see if they can activate the box for me then.

Appreciate your help and the link as well :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

We don't drag up old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement