Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any truth to the story...?

Options
  • 24-08-2014 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭

I was talking to one of the staff in the Boilerhouse Sauna last week who told me that a few years back a priest died of a heart attack in the steam room in the Boilerhouse and seven other customers in there at the time who were also priests immediately came forward to offer to perform the last rites.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

Nomis21 wrote: »
    I was talking to one of the staff in the Boilerhouse Sauna last week who told me that a few years back a priest died of a heart attack in the steam room in the Boilerhouse and seven other customers in there at the time who were also priests immediately came forward to offer to perform the last rites.

Unlikely to be priests...Boilerhouse doesn't admit children.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

I like the sauna owners reply when asked if the Priest was indulging in sexual activity...

"We don't allow sexual activity in the cubicles."

So in that case what exactly are the cubicles for in a gay sauna?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Dr. Shrike

Not the Boilerhouse. A now closed sauna called Incognito, which was on Camden street, or thereabouts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9nwcunhLks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Dr. Shrike wrote: »
    Not the Boilerhouse. A now closed sauna called Incognito, which was on Camden street, or thereabouts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9nwcunhLks
    What a story!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,123 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It's a story that has grown a bit in the telling. It was about twenty years ago; it made the papers at the time, and the newspaper reports say that either one or two other priests were present. The owner of the club was reported at the time as saying that "up to twenty" priests were regular customers there (though how he knew what his customer's occupations were is not entirely clear; I kind of doubt they wore their collars). He did say that barristers and solicitors formed a larger part of his clientele. (Wigs and gowns? Perhaps it was role-play.)

In the end it was a bigger problem for the club than for the church. With the media attention, the owner found himself having to deny that sexual activity took place on the premises, or that people ever took drugs there. All-in-all, it led to more attention than he wanted. Attendance dropped off, and a while later the place closed.

Advertisement