Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picking up HTC desire today

Options
  • 16-09-2010 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My first post in this section, I've decided to pickup a desire today on upgrade from O2. It will be my first phone of this type.

Are there any tips for setting up first time, anything I should take note of?

Thanks,
    Neil. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Before you do, log in to Google contacts and set them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭netnerd

don't feel dismayed when your battery runs out after 4 hours after a full charge. It will get better after a week or so once it has charged a few times and you have disabled most of the services that you dont need.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

Before you do, log in to Google contacts and set them up.

My main email is yahoo but I do have a gmail account which I could switch to if needed. Can yahoo mail be setup on the phone, is there an app for that?
    netnerd wrote: »
    don't feel dismayed when your battery runs out after 4 hours after a full charge. It will get better after a week or so once it has charged a few times and you have disabled most of the services that you dont need.

Thanks for that :)

Neilw wrote: »
    My main email is yahoo but I do have a gmail account which I could switch to if needed. Can yahoo mail be setup on the phone, is there an app for that?

I have no idea, sorry. Syncing with Google is where the Android phones really shine though, it is worth taking the time setting up or transferring your contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

You can check any pop/imap emails on the phone but android itself links into a google account. For gmail, talk, purchased apps are linked to it, google contacts, etc

Does yahoo give you pop/imap access these days?

• Advertisement

I have no idea, sorry. Syncing with Google is where the Android phones really shine though, it is worth taking the time setting up or transferring your contacts.

No problem, I can easily move to gmail :)

Congrats BTW, exciting times. :D

Congrats BTW, exciting times. :D

Thank you, my first smart phone so a steep learning curve.

Just transfered my yahoo contacts to google, now to change all my website subscriptions :( Could be a while at this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

Thank you, my first smart phone so a steep learning curve.

Just transfered my yahoo contacts to google, now to change all my website subscriptions :( Could be a while at this!
    You could setup a forwarder from your yahoo to gmail in short term

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭joanofarc

hope you have no plans for the weekend because all you'll do is play with your new phone! start by reading the sticky's here and also google other andrios forums as theres tons of info there. i went from a brick ( some sort of nokia) to htc desire and omg....whole new world opened up for me it did...sad!! enjoy.

• Advertisement

joanofarc wrote: »
    hope you have no plans for the weekend because all you'll do is play with your new phone! start by reading the sticky's here and also google other andrios forums as theres tons of info there. i went from a brick ( some sort of nokia) to htc desire and omg....whole new world opened up for me it did...sad!! enjoy.

Ha ha :D

Picked it up, in the middle of setting up accounts. Facebook is giving me hassle changing my email address to gmail.

How do I download apps?

Edit, I was being a bit thick there lol. All sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

How do I download apps?

I been on these sites and cant find links to download?
    androidmarket
    htcapps

Spotted this link, says to download barcode-scanner from android market but I'm stumped, there is no search on android market.
    http://htcapps.com/how-to-download-htc-apps/

I'm connected to my home wireless network if that make any difference.

Open the market app on your phone.

So far so good :)

It's a nice little gadget, as mentioned the battery is shockingly bad :eek:
    I've been turning off 3g, sync and dimming the screen when browsing is not required, seems to have helped a lot.

Cabbage is great, angry birds lol :P

Thanks for the help and advice guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Is that you Neil?

Download juicedefender, it works well. I get a full day out of my desire easily, 6.30am to 11pm. I charge it every night so i'm not worried about getting longer out of it

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Is that you Neil?

Download juicedefender, it works well. I get a full day out of my desire easily, 6.30am to 11pm. I charge it every night so i'm not worried about getting longer out of it

Me alright :D

Juicedefender, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭funnyclub

Hey guys I am going to switch from Iphone to an Android phone most likely the desire just wondering if I sync my Iphone contacts with google sync can they then be transfered to desire when I get it?

Advertisement