Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N7 - Newlands Cross upgrade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Cap1

There is 6 traffic signal between the straight ahead and the right turn lanes how can you not see them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Timelapse done :
    Video

• Registered Users Posts: 34,083 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

is there a downloadable version available anywhere?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Just use a browser "add-on" to download the youtube video, there are many to choose from.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Are you trying to download my video?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,083 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Well I won't if you'd rather I didn't!

Just for my own use, something I might want to look at again in a few years' time, youtube videos have a habit of disappearing unfortunately.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Well I won't if you'd rather I didn't!

Just for my own use, something I might want to look at again in a few years' time, youtube videos have a habit of disappearing unfortunately.
    I suppose that's fine, but I won't be removing it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

spacetweek wrote: »
    I suppose that's fine, but I won't be removing it!

I think the disappearing videos that Hotblack Desiato was talking about were the ones that are pulled due to copyright claims... :o:)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭smokie72

Without fail anytime I come from the red cow side turning right onto the fonthill road a few cars from the belgard road jump the lights. Had to sound the horn on a couple of occasions. If this isn't sorted somebody is going to have an accident sooner or later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

smokie72 wrote: »
    Without fail anytime I come from the red cow side turning right onto the fonthill road a few cars from the belgard road jump the lights. Had to sound the horn on a couple of occasions. If this isn't sorted somebody is going to have an accident sooner or later.

Spot on. That's a turn I take almost daily and you are dead right, its far too frequently happening and it will end up in an accident if it's not sorted.

• Advertisement

terrydel wrote: »
    Spot on. That's a turn I take almost daily and you are dead right, its far too frequently happening and it will end up in an accident if it's not sorted.
    Are there still active roadworks around there? Why on earth do people think they don't have to stop at red lights?

Are there still active roadworks around there? Why on earth do people think they don't have to stop at red lights?

No active roadworks, at most they are tidying up pedestrian areas.
    It baffles me why people are struggling with it, but its clearly an issue.

What outstanding works on this whole project are left? Is the tie-in westbound on the south side still to be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭rameire

Is the tie-in westbound on the south side still to be done?

I think that was done over the last week, they have the barriers done now and are just on the tidy up in that area.

the whole thing is 99.99% done.

I even think most, if not all of the walls are done.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Email received:

"I can confirm that the works at Newlands Cross are substantially complete, however, snagging of the works and a general tidying up of the works area is still ongoing. This should be complete by end of May."

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭smokie72

They had one of those go safe vans at about 1pm outside the fire station on the belgard road catching people coming up from the newlands cross. Better watch the speed folks!

Just thru it on the way home there, coming from red cow direction onto fonthill road. Again, a car on Belgard Road side jumps early. This will lead to an accident, is that what it will take before they actually address the issue?

Anyone else find the section where the turnoff from Fonthill Road (going past Joels and the Fitzgerald Hotel) merges with the new flyover traffic, to be very dodgy?
    The is little or no area in which to build up some speed and a lot of the traffic merging needs to cross right over to the right, crossing 3 lanes.
    Its an awful setup imho, and I'd be amazed if it doesn't lead to an accident, tho hopefully not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Trying to get into the M50 southbound lane is as tricky as ever. All it needs is for someone to miss a tiny ghost island and crash!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Trying to get into the M50 southbound lane is as tricky as ever. All it needs is for someone to miss a tiny ghost island and crash!

Whats tricky about staying in the middle lane back abit on the N7 Going eastbound,You don't require to move into the lane at the last second!

• Advertisement

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Whats tricky about staying in the middle lane back abit on the N7 Going eastbound,You don't require to move into the lane at the last second!

Actually, you do.

You move into a left lane with only a 5m ghost island preventing the traffic on the lane inside you running straight into you.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

Use it every day and don't find it tricky at all and never seen an issue with others. Indicating early I find helps.

Actually, you do.

You move into a left lane with only a 5m ghost island preventing the traffic on the lane inside you running straight into you.

Lane on the inside is going northbound...lane in the middle is going southbound and citybound....Right is going citybound only....Whats difficult about that....

Fact is no lane changes should be made after here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Lane on the inside is going northbound...lane in the middle is going southbound and citybound....Right is going citybound only....Whats difficult about that....

Fact is no lane changes should be made after here

If you want to go M50(S), you will need to change if you are in the middle lane at that point - after that Ghost island that Schadenfreudia referred to.

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    If you want to go M50(S), you will need to change if you are in the middle lane at that point - after that Ghost island that Schadenfreudia referred to.

I know that but when your moving onto the M50(S) lane there under no circumstances should be any cars coming from the M50(N) lane...

I see some mornings there does be que's due to late lane movers from the middle lane to the M50(N) off lane....

I know that but when your moving onto the M50(S) lane there under no circumstances should be any cars coming from the M50(N) lane...

Indeed they shouldn't, and won't so long as they spot the tiny ghost island while they are trying to figure out where they are going.

Not everyone using the road is doing so on a daily basis like some of us, as I have noticed by the late lane changes; abrupt braking and - yes - driving straight through the ghost island.

I expect if you are a frequent user you'll eventually have the pleasure of seeing an accident that is waiting to happen.....

I agree with you Schadenfreudia, All it will take is some driver to not have his eyes on the road or not concentrating....

But if they do have there eyes on the road and no late lane changes there won't be any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I do think they need a few of those little bollards to stop people butting into the southbound lane from the northbound lane after the ghost island.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Not everyone using the road is doing so on a daily basis like some of us, as I have noticed by the late lane changes; abrupt braking and - yes - driving straight through the ghost island.

I expect if you are a frequent user you'll eventually have the pleasure of seeing an accident that is waiting to happen.....

I don't use it very often (a handful of times a year maybe), but I once very nearly had the pleasure of being a victim of said "potential" accident.

I was heading M50(S), towing a horsebox, with my wife's beloved beastie on board :rolleyes: and I was trundling along nicely @ 60KPH, in moderate traffic at this almost exact spot, when a nob-jockey in a beemer, passed me on the right, cut across in front of me (barely missing the bollards and left-right sign) and then dived to M50(N).

It looked like a well practised move too. Thank god my missus wasn't with me as she'd have seen her beastie's life flashing in front of her! :P

• Advertisement

I do think they need a few of those little bollards to stop people butting into the southbound lane from the northbound lane after the ghost island.

A good idea; I'd also put some bollards at the start of the ghost island.

That BMW cutting across the hatching - maybe a candidate for cameras that can dish out 6 penalty points?

Advertisement