Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tourism?

Options
  • 12-08-2014 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

After a few trips in our camper within Ireland, it seems that we are not great at tourism here.
    Some places are fine, but in others you just dont feel welcome.
    We tried to find somewhere to pull up near Westport recently. Every carpark has a barrier, anywhere that doesnt has a no Campers sign. Wanted to climb the Reek, massive carpark but with a barrier, lane down to the old abbey; barrier, beaches; barrier. Ended up parking on the edge of the busy main road. (not overnight).
    Go on any motorhome forums from UK and there are many similar comments. Like this one:
    "Parking in many town car parks we visited, and laybys close to beauty spots, was often impossible for motorhomers' due to low height barriers. In Waterford we gave up trying to find anywhere to stop, all the car parks along the busy quay had barriers it seemed. So much for tourism."

"We really would love to go back and see more, but, frankly, the unwelcoming height barriers and cost of the ferry are not encouraging..."

Its a big shame really. It seems that during the boom tourism meant building loads of huge expensive hotels.:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

jamesbil wrote: »
    After a few trips in our camper within Ireland, it seems that we are not great at tourism here.
    We tried to find somewhere to pull up near Westport recently. Every carpark has a barrier, anywhere that doesnt has a no Campers sign. Wanted to climb the Reek, massive carpark but with a barrier, lane down to the old abbey; barrier, beaches; barrier. Ended up parking on the edge of the busy main road. (not overnight).
    Go on any motorhome forums from UK and there are many similar comments. Like this one:
    "Parking in many town car parks we visited, and laybys close to beauty spots, was often impossible for motorhomers' due to low height barriers. In Waterford we gave up trying to find anywhere to stop, all the car parks along the busy quay had barriers it seemed. So much for tourism."

"We really would love to go back and see more, but, frankly, the unwelcoming height barriers and cost of the ferry are not encouraging..."

Its a big shame really. It seems that during the boom tourism meant building loads of huge expensive hotels.:(

Its just the beauty spots that come with hotels, crapft shops, seafood restaurants, blue flag beaches, never got the attraction with westport myself bit of a stinky estuary feel about the place. There are two SNI locations in Westport by the way.
    Google earth is invaluable in planning your trip, with satellite view look for car parks and beaches then drop a streetview man to see if its suitable you'll find much nicer places to visit that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's not that we are tourist unfriendly, in most cases, it's that we have an element of our society who tended to attract a lot of rubbish where ever they stopped so the barriers are in place to stop them destroying the very beauty spots that people want to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

I posted on a different thread recently that in Westport there is a car park, right in the centre of town, where the barrier is only in effect from around 18:00 hrs to 08:00 hrs, or something like that but not in the daytime. I have parked there a few times and as recently as a couple of months ago.

Car park is on Mill Street with the entrance almost opposite the Mill Hotel. There is another car park, just down Mill St. behind the Gardia barracks, but not sure if it has a barrier as I've never used it.

Not keen on Westport really but they have some great festivals and it is a friendly town.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭jamesbil

Del2005 makes a good point although I often find barriers are in places not frequented by said element. Plus when you get other tourists talking about it not being camper friendly the loss of trade could soon become a bigger issue.

we did eventually find a place up the coast a bit at a little pier and boat club. Lovely quiet spot.
    I have a few links to maps if any one wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Del2005 makes a good point although I often find barriers are in places not frequented by said element. Plus when you get other tourists talking about it not being camper friendly the loss of trade could soon become a bigger issue.

we did eventually find a place up the coast a bit at a little pier and boat club. Lovely quiet spot.
    I have a few links to maps if any one wants.

Would appreciate links Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

I often find barriers are in places not frequented by said element.

does this prove that they're working?

As a caravanner (with 4 kids) I often look at the MHs and think "not for me!" for exactly this reason.

I see a load of MHs with bikes (motor and pedal) on the back for local touring.... even saw one with a smart car on a trailer once......

If you park up overnight at a proper site then carparks with anti traveller bars aren't an issue. the owners of the sites want to stop loosing their public carpark and beauty spot to an encampment of..... folks who might scare away the public.

mind you, I have quietly sworn a bit when I've had the roofbox on the people carrier!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

If you park up overnight at a proper site then carparks with anti traveller bars aren't an issue.

Whats a proper site though Ive often paid 35 euro and not even had a marked or level pitch and loads of times the electricity is 40 or more meters away. I don't use the toilets or the showers. In ireland you dont get swimming pools, Jacuzzis, steam rooms, bouncy castles, trampolines, sports facilities, So often I'm just paying €35 for a few square meters of sand dune that was commandeered from commonage at some stage in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

As a caravanner (with 4 kids) I often look at the MHs and think "not for me!" for exactly this reason........

If you park up overnight at a proper site then carparks with anti traveller bars aren't an issue

I know you can park your caravan up in a site and then go exploring with the car, but that makes the holiday a bit slower, where everything needs to be planned - most motorhomers like to hit the road, and visit things along the way to their destination. And then there's the Aire's and Stellplatz in France & Germany where you can park in the heart of town's rather than being stuck 5km out the road in a campsite.
    Each to their own, we gave caravans a brief thought, but realised we wouldn't have half the exploring/road trip holidays we're used to. I still think even in Ireland we do more with the motorhome than we would with a caravan, sure campsites are closed nearly half the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

rant / I find the emptying and filling of cassettes/tanks is a problem. I am uncomfortable dumping 17 litres of unmentionable stuff into a public toilet where some poor person will need to use it a few minutes afterwards. Grey water is also a problem - nowhere to empty. Fine if you are off for a weekend but not for much longer. I once Asked at the campsite in a well known island to the west of Connaught if I could pay to use their facilties to empty my full cassette ( 2 adults 2 children and 2 days travelling) . Was told by the very pleasant person at reception that no, this was not possible at present but they were working on it.!? There was a wire fence that seperated the campsite from an identical piece of commonage outside so I couldn't see he point of paying €30for the privelege. Public toilets adjacent had boulders bulldozed up to the doors. Toilet on the other end of Island a few km away were closed and vandalised. . I eventually lifted a trapdoor to the sewer outside of these on the road ( I made certain that it was the sewer from the toilets and not a storm drain) and did what was needed. I won't be going back.
    I'm on the boat home after five weeks in France and Spain and a motor homing paradise throughout . There are a load of tourists with vans from all over Europe on the boat right now I wonder what repeat buisiness they will generate? /rant

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭pastense

I think that Ireland must be a great disappointment for Motorhome visitors from other countries and the fact is, as in quite a number of things, our country markets an image of itself that is not a reflection of the reality.

To be charged €30 a night for what is basically a parking space with the use of a toilet and shower (sometimes extra for the shower) is very bad value considering the same can be got in Europe for one third of that.

Its no wonder that Irish motorhome owners mostly spend their holidays in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭niloc1951

I have no issue with emptying the contents of the cassette (black water) in a toilet, public or otherwise. Such a facility is designed to receive crap :D.

However, I do make sure not to spill outside the bowl but if the unmentionable happens I make sure to clean up and leave the place at least as clean as I found it.

As for the aroma and sound effects they're no worse than what can emanate from a person after a feed of pints and a kebab or curry the night before :D:D

Disposal of grey water, now that's a different problem but the grey water tank can hold up to a weeks input if a person is sparing with fresh water use.
    A good place to dispose of grey water is at a car wash, obviously with the garage owners permission, make sure you ask before you buy your groceries or diesel ;)

We have been on holidays in UK, USA, and France. We love to take short breaks at home too but we always end up comparing it to other countries and it always falls short. Never on the beauty aspect but always on facilities, info etc.
    Lakes and rivers overgrown and not in use, often no where to stop for a picnic. Walking trails overgrown or poorly signed. Any one looked at walking maps for Mayo or Sligo? They are just a joke.
    Ireland should be an ideal place for cycling and walking (apart from the odd shower), but would you risk your life on a bike on local roads with boy racers and trucks?
    Up our way alot of the old stone walls and hedges have been removed to make the road wider or take out a bend, fair enough, but they have been replaced with link wire and concrete posts! Tourists are gonna love that!
    Again I think its what the powers that be percieve tourism to be. They seem to link it with airport-hotel-coach tour-main street.
    Sorry for the rant and btw I'm Mayo born and bred, not someone who has moved over and complains its not like where they left...

On the grey water issue, is it ok to empty in a storm drain? Park over it and open the tap?
    New to campers and havent been away long enough for it to be an issue yet.

On the grey water issue, is it ok to empty in a storm drain? Park over it and open the tap?
    New to campers and havent been away long enough for it to be an issue yet.

Well, what's in grey water ?
    There should only be used water from the shower or bathroom sink, nothing harmful there, hopefully.
    Used water from the kitchen sink, bits of vegetable matter after preparing the spuds and veg, anything from washing the ware which is small enough to go down the plug hole, tea and coffee slops, nothing harmful there either, hopefully.

What gets washed down a roadside storm drain after a good shower of rain ?
    All sorts of crap from dogs and other animals, oils, rubber and other toxic stuff from vehicles and any soluble litter dropped by Joe or Mary public.

I'll let you to make your own mind up BUT if Joe or Mary public sees you dumping your grey water down a storm drain it will be considered an act of pollution worse than Chernobyl.

Yet another dissapointed MH visitor;
    " I'm constantly rating the place against the outer hebrides - at the moment I'm really missing the right to roam. Seems to be lots of no overnight parking signs"

And this on the Wild Atlantic Way which is a driving route..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Yet another dissapointed MH visitor;
    " I'm constantly rating the place against the outer hebrides - at the moment I'm really missing the right to roam. Seems to be lots of no overnight parking signs"

And this on the Wild Atlantic Way which is a driving route..

Where is that quote from and why are they making a comparison between Ireland and the outer Hebrides?

Its from a motorhome forum I use, I think he was comparing the ability to pull up and stop...or maybe its just another of his holiday destinations..

Its from a motorhome forum I use, I think he was comparing the ability to pull up and stop...or maybe its just another of his holiday destinations..

What's the forum, may I ask?

He should stick to holidays in the outer Hebrides in that case. What a silly comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

I have just come back from 3 weeks in France. Travelled from Cherbourg to the Med. then returned vis Switzerland and back to Cherbourg. Fabulous holiday.

The most I paid for a campsite was 18 euros. The campsite had excellent facilities: Toilets cleaned twice a day and more if required. Shop and restaurant on site. Swimming-pool, lounge, wifi, most pitches surrounded by hedge on 3 sides, usual washing machines etc. This site was close to the Swiss boarder. In fact, I took the bus into Geneva for a day trip.

I found it unbelievable the number of motorhomes that were travelling around.

Probably the best place I stayed was Aix Les bains where there is an "aire" in the town and 50 metres from the lake. There is grey water facilities and water, I think but used neither. There was no charge to stay there.

Some supermarkets have aires with some restricted facilities but overnight stops no problems. Now there's a thought for Irish supermarkets. Allow overnight stops and you will surely have some customers early in the morning, especially if you have fresh bread!

Really, Ireland has a lot to learn. Vive la France.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

*Kol* wrote: »
    He should stick to holidays in the outer Hebrides in that case. What a silly comparison.

Is it right, then, to compare Ireland with France?

I have just come back from 3 weeks in France. Travelled from Cherbourg to the Med. then returned vis Switzerland and back to Cherbourg. Fabulous holiday.

The most I paid for a campsite was 18 euros. The campsite had excellent facilities: Toilets cleaned twice a day and more if required. Shop and restaurant on site. Swimming-pool, lounge, wifi, most pitches surrounded by hedge on 3 sides, usual washing machines etc. This site was close to the Swiss boarder. In fact, I took the bus into Geneva for a day trip.

I found it unbelievable the number of motorhomes that were travelling around.

Probably the best place I stayed was Aix Les bains where there is an "aire" in the town and 50 metres from the lake. There is grey water facilities and water, I think but used neither. There was no charge to stay there.

Some supermarkets have aires with some restricted facilities but overnight stops no problems. Now there's a thought for Irish supermarkets. Allow overnight stops and you will surely have some customers early in the morning, especially if you have fresh bread!

Really, Ireland has a lot to learn. Vive la France.

Please tell Waterford Councillors about the parking options on the continent, particularly the Aires and supermarket options.

piuswal wrote: »
    Please tell Waterford Councillors about the parking options on the continent, particularly the Aires and supermarket options.

We need to get onto most County Councillors but as Waterford is already in the news with a Councillors suggestion that what limited parking facilities there are in Dungarvan be barred to motor homes I suggest we start there.

There is another thread dealing with this topic, perhaps posters here might have a look at it.

I'll find the thread and post it here.

piuswal wrote: »
    We need to get onto most County Councillors but as Waterford is already in the news with a Councillors suggestion that what limited parking facilities there are in Dungarvan be barred to motor homes I suggest we start there.

There is another thread dealing with this topic, perhaps posters here might have a look at it.

I'll find the thread and post it here.

;
    "Look for;

"Demands for ban on Camper Van parking"

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭pastense

Its right to compare the facilities and prices in the campsites in my opinion as its hard to see the justification of the higher prices here.

Where it becomes more difficult is 'public' facilities and that's mainly due to abuses historically perpetrated by a certain sector. But it's beyond time that places were provided for Motorhomes in our towns. Let that be a public/private venture if need be and there would be people to step up. It seems though that there is an 'official' policy to direct to campsites and that wont be easy to get over.
    In France many Campsite owners have recognised the problem and developed private 'Aires' just outside of the Campsite itself at a reduced rate and with a small extra charge for use of the facilities and they are always busy. There is a reluctance to do the same here and that's probably down to getting the maximum cash from visitors.
    Whoever breaks that mould will benefit but as it's a cartel nobody want to step out of line.
    In the meantime it's to the France we look to use our Camper Vans the way they were designed to be used, a mixture of Touring, Camping and day tripping.

Probably you could draw more similarities than with the outer Hebrides. However comparing the campsites there are economic differences in running a campsite in France than here clearly if they can provide the facilities for much cheaper. Aires are a local authority/government provided facility and there is no reason why they couldn't provide some in Ireland (at least based on the amount of tax i pay).

Advertisement