Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calibrate Desire battery

Options
  • 18-08-2010 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭

From XDA

Basically, the instructions are:
    1) Charge phone until the notification led goes green, disconnect charger
    2) Shut down the phone and with it powered off, charge again until the led goes green. Disconnect charger.
    3) Power the phone on, when it boots fully, shut it down straight away and charge again until the led goes green again.
    4) Power on the phone again. If you are rooted, boot to recovery and wipe the battery stats and reboot. If you're not rooted, proceed to use your phone normally.

I have just followed these instructions myself, it'll be interesting to see what level the battery will be at in the morning. Some people on that thread are claiming their battery was still at 100% a while after making a few calls and sending a few texts but I'd take some of those claims with a grain of salt.

Seemingly, the theory behind doing this is that the battery has overcharge protection built into it and doing this helps the phone to learn when the battery is at 100%.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

How do you wipe the battery stats? I have clockworkmod but can't find the option in recovery.
    Mr Bloat wrote: »
    From XDA

Basically, the instructions are:
    1) Charge phone until the notification led goes green, disconnect charger
    2) Shut down the phone and with it powered off, charge again until the led goes green. Disconnect charger.
    3) Power the phone on, when it boots fully, shut it down straight away and charge again until the led goes green again.
    4) Power on the phone again. If you are rooted, boot to recovery and wipe the battery stats and reboot. If you're not rooted, proceed to use your phone normally.

I have just followed these instructions myself, it'll be interesting to see what level the battery will be at in the morning. Some people on that thread are claiming their battery was still at 100% a while after making a few calls and sending a few texts but I'd take some of those claims with a grain of salt.

Seemingly, the theory behind doing this is that the battery has overcharge protection built into it and doing this helps the phone to learn when the battery is at 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

In clockworkmod, there's a Wipe battery Stats under Advanced.

This didn't do much for me, to be honest. I lost 10% of battery overnight with a setcpu profile running which underclocks to 245MHz with the screen off. I usually leave it charging overnight so I can't say if it's normal to lose 10% or not but it doesn't seem great and it certainly doesn't compare to some of the wonderful results being posted on XDA.

Edit: I still think it's worthwhile trying it out though, it doesn't take long to do and I'd be interested to hear of other results.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I'd be interested to hear of other results.

Happened to be charging (from 35%) this morning, so I tried this out.

It went green, powered off, connected charger - still green, powered on, power off - still green, power on, still green.

Not rooted so didn't reset any battery data, but mine doesn't go down from 100 very quickly - yet anyway.

nereid wrote: »
    Happened to be charging (from 35%) this morning, so I tried this out.

It went green, powered off, connected charger - still green, powered on, power off - still green, power on, still green.

Not rooted so didn't reset any battery data, but mine doesn't go down from 100 very quickly - yet anyway.

You're already calibrated perfectly if you get this type of result. Nice for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭cullenswood

with a setcpu profile running which underclocks to 245MHz with the screen off.

How do you do this? what is the normal speed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Carried out the instructions in OP's post earlier.
    I was a non believer but it seems to be working as my battery is still almost full!:)

THANKS OP!

How do you do this? what is the normal speed?

Well, it's a 1GHz processor, so the normal speed is 1GHz. You can set up profiles in setcpu (available from the market) depending on certain conditions and I have mine set to underclock to save battery when the screen is off. Similarily, I have it set to overclock when it's plugged in. You have to be rooted though.
    MoodeRator wrote: »
    Carried out the instructions in OP's post earlier.
    I was a non believer but it seems to be working as my battery is still almost full!:)

THANKS OP!

No worries, I'm going to run it again myself as it didn't work too well for me but I may have been too quick to unplug it at one point.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

How do you overclock on setCPU? The max it lets me go to is 998mhz...

When I go into setcpu I can slide the Max bar up to 1113MHz. I chose autodetect speeds in the frequency sets section, what have you set?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

Well I followed the instructions precisely, and within 5 minutes of my phone being back on, and having not done anything yet on phone (i.e. call, text, etc) my battery indicator has already dropped to 99. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

This really has worked for me! I am not a high user but still my battery from the overnight charge is still nigh on full, normally I would be down 50% by now!:)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I did it this morning at around 10am. It is currently sitting at 23% 7 hours later. No wifi/bluetooth/gaming/videos on it. Only internet and texts. A few odd calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Did this last night at midnight or so and im still at 95% or so after a usual amount of wifi browsing and mail and calls.

Great post op, thanks a million :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Hmm, its 24 hours more or less since i did this and my battery is still showing about 90% full. I dont have an app that gives an exact number, but its mainly green :P

So either its bugged or this trick is awesome

edit: jkust plugged it in there and it says 75%

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Lol it sounds like the apple iPhone former signal calculation formula.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Dustaz wrote: »
    I dont have an app that gives an exact number, but its mainly green :P
    I like "quick settings" and related "
    "quick battery" widget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

I tried this a few days ago but when I charge it, unplug and turn off and plug in again it vibrates 5 times fairly fast then the phone won't turn on again until I pull out the battery.

Advertisement