Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone recommend a reliable cctv / home alarm system installation company in Dublin?

Options
  • 19-04-2015 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm just posting this question in hope that somebody can point me in the right direction to some reliable home security installation companies in the Dublin area?
    I'm looking for some home cctv cameras and a home alarm too. So looking for companies that supply and install and are reliable.
    I've had a look at the suppliers / installers list, but would rather get some info from people who dealt with reliable companies first hand.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Many posting here are installers so we don't go recommending. Where are you located ?
    Do you have systems & budgets in mind? e can help you with information on that side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Sequence 365

You are best looking for a PSA registered company 1st .
    Then establish how long they are in business and what variety of clients they have.
    You have a lot of good & bad companies like any industry .
    Most of the good ones have been around quite a while and offer good systems & a good service .
    Just beware of the One Hit Wonders as we do call them . They have little experience and don't normally do a good job .

Unfortunately we are not allowed put up companies as a lot of us have companies or work in the industry

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭TeaServer

I'm actually looking for similar to the OP and will jump in here too if they don't mind!

I'm going to be one those 'demanding' customers so it would be great if I had an idea of what is possible/reasonable to ask for.

Rough requirements:
    1 - There is an existing wired system in place - would like to reuse as much of the 'wiring' as possible
    2 - Enhance/extend the system with '2-way' wireless PIRs
    3 - Want to connect the system to Home Automation system (probably Z-Wave based) but a simple 'output' that can fire a relay would suffice if direct compatibility was not possible (to monitor the status of system)
    4 - Want to have it monitored by Monitoring Centre
    5 - Want to have 'smoke/fire detectors' part of the system too
    6 - Want CCTV for front and rear (with live remote viewing)

Any guidance on rough costs for this? I can do all the home automation part myself, I'd like some guidance on the rest though, or is what I'm looking for complete overkill for private residence?

/T

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It would really be down to the wiring & whether that's all OK & if any other equipment is needed.
    All your requirements are fairly standard .
    The home automation... Siemens at present can control X10 (although no longer supported or documented) They are working on their own 2 way protocol. You can also make use of any number of mapping gates (Virtual outputs) that give you great control via calendars and/or cause & effect by any combination of system inputs & outputs.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

HKCs gear can control relays. Lights/door locks can be tripped by sensors and by arming/disarming the system and also timers ect. So you could have deadbolts/maglocks engage when the system is armed. Or use blocks to control them. They have new 2 way RF PIR cameras too which are due to be released.

• Advertisement

Ok, seems like there is nothing that would be out of order for most installers then. Thats good!

The HKC App has a monthly fee (I believe), does the Siemens panel have a smartphone app? I really don't want a monthly fee on top of monitoring centre fee for App access.

One other thing, would it be standard to have both IP and GSM communications as backup for each other to monitoring cente/app?

/T

Risco, Siemens & GSD all provide free apps & free use of those with no subscription charges.
    GSM back up is a good idea. GSD systems have polling & also smash & grab alerts.
    Also beware of systems using GPRS only rather than an IP connection. These sort of systems would be vulnerable to GSM jamming.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭altor

TeaServer wrote: »
    Ok, seems like there is nothing that would be out of order for most installers then. Thats good!

The HKC App has a monthly fee (I believe), does the Siemens panel have a smartphone app? I really don't want a monthly fee on top of monitoring centre fee for App access.

There is a thread here that relates to App discussions.
    TeaServer wrote: »
    One other thing, would it be standard to have both IP and GSM communications as backup for each other to monitoring cente/app?

/T

Having a dual path is recommended. Same with having the system poll to indicate the loss of communications with your system.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

The HKC fee is €60 a year and covers all texts to your phone as well as calls to the monitoring station. The HKC system polls in the event of the IP line going down if the internet box is plugged out or GPRS signal is jammed.

Ok thanks for the replies, not sure how I missed that linked thread on the App comparison - I'm reading through it now.

Just a clarification on the polling features; what is polling what? Can the Alarm monitoring centre poll the system, or do they only react after an activation? ie. Are they ever aware that an armed system 'disappeared' before being disarmed? (Apologies if this is a basic question!)

/T

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Sequence 365

If you are looking for monitoring you should take a look at CSL Dualcoms range of gsm,s

Also with the Siemens App you can create your own maps
    For example you could take photos of your property set them up as your maps and you just add your zones to the points on the maps

Very user friendly if you download the app for Free there is a demo site and you can take a look

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Mod edit.

Lads can we keep the app comparisons to the sticky. Also I removed some of the conversation in a block, it was getting a bit risky so I just killed a chunk of the posts.

Thanks

Advertisement